• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Nice gym if you like hardcore, I like soft-core with no attitudes and egos..., make that less attitudes and egos. I have an extremely low tolerance for disrespect; attitude, and inflated egos, so training at home for now sees to that. I like gym owners who have the balls to kick people out on the spot, placing something other than their profit margin above all else. But that's juts me and my opinion.

I went through Doherty's when I was in Melbourne,years ago. It is like a museum with all the photos. I could spend hours in there bumping into things and getting in the way. I trained as well but it was the middle of the day so it was pretty empty at the time.

Sent from my R7sf using Tapatalk

I like gym owners who have the balls to kick people out on the spot, placing something other than their profit margin above all else.
Tough to do when that space is what's putting bread on your family's table. My wife's income is the mortgage, my income is food, utilities, transport, rates, insurance and all that - plus some of the mortgage. Apart from housing, everything we have comes from this 30 square metres I'm sitting in right now. This tends to make most of us less idealistic and more pragmatic.

Fortunately I don't have to do it often, and it's never "on the spot", no-one is just suddenly that offensive, most of the time we spot them before they sign up and don't take their money to begin with, sometimes the person grates on us after a bit so we just don't let them renew next time.

Doherty's is a place with a lot of history, some of its history is like that of your old coach Lyn Jones.

Doherty's is a place with a lot of history, some of its history is like that of your old coach Lyn Jones.
Lyn Jones and his equivalents are not people I like to be associate with Kyle. My coach's name was Harry Wardle. He was the assistant coach to Lyn, but in my book, he was the MAN!

Sounds like there's a good story there @Fadi;
Not really mate. Just not my type, that is all. I'm all about communication, especially if one is in such a position as a coach. You can be a great coach, but if your delivery has a lot to be desired, then you won't get the potential best out of your lifters now would you? Just as well we had Harry there to balance things out, or it would have been total demotivation.

Ah I was hoping for a good story
Ah, sorry to disappoint. However if you're really after a juicy story, like why did the government suspend the weightlifting program from the AIS back in 1986 I believe (two years after I had left the place), you'd find its root cause was related to human psychology first and foremost in my opinion. In other words, why would I (a weightlifter), do the wrong thing by you (my coach), if I actually did like you? The natural answer is I wouldn't. However if you weren't that popular, and you rubbed your athletes the wrong way (no pun intended), then you get what you deserve.

Unfortunately for everyone, the two lifters who went public/to the media with incriminating information did not think past their noses either, as they were very young, selfish, and like I said, didn't think in a mature and calculated manner. The outcome was that everyone got screwed as a consequence of this hasty and selfish behaviour on the part of two lifters. Just as well I was gone by then. I've said it before and I'll keep on saying it, psychology (way above physiology) plays the biggest part in an athlete's success or failure in his chosen sport, including bodybuilding I might add.

Last edited: