• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

G

Banned
Hello,

I ask this for one reason... internet seems to have a variety of forms which are all classified 'correct'.

Most forms I notice are pretty much feet pointing forward (away from you in a straight line) then squat down and up.

I then found a powerlifting site that says feet should point outwards... depending on ones flexibility this could be 10-45 degrees.

Then on the way down your knees should not try to go forward (pointing in) but rather stay in line with your feet... so its kinda like a split on the way down depending how much you pointed your feet outward.

So essentially legs bend on the way down 'outward' in direction of feet. They dont bend like when sitting on a chair with your feet flat on the ground and toes pointing forward.

By allowing this it allows you to squat right down with your bum below knees and then go back up.

Other sites suggest more forward pointed, which is more olympic style squat but that makes it almost feel like im going to fall over on the way down...

Any help?

I thought squat is squat... *scratches head*

Last edited:
You have come to the right place.

Fortunately for you we have an extensive collection of unqualified sports physiologists, S and C coaches, and high calibre opinionists, as well as some PTs. Just hold tight, they will be right with you.

Position your feet however you feel most comfortable and powerful.
This will be different for everyone but if you can't balance then widen your stance and point the toes out slightly until you can get full range and are stable.
Generally putting your weight on your heels and just squeezing your glutes will make your toes swivel outwards. Where they stop will be pretty close to ideal.

Having a narrow base and toes forward will put more stress/emphasis on your quads, so if you want to focus on them it can be an effective way to target them more. If you're just about strength or power then widen the stance.

Start about shoulder-width apart, feet turned about 30 degrees out. Squat down below parallel, keeping the back extended. At the bottom, your thighs should be in line with your feet, so you will probably have to consciously shove your knees out. That achieved, now play with it. So long as you get below parallel keeping your back in extension and your thighs are in line with your feet, it's all good.

Narrower tends to make it harder to get below parallel without rounding your back, wider makes it harder to keep thighs in line with feet. But there will be a range of stance widths where you can do it right.

You may be comfortable narrower or wider, that's fine. Below parallel, back in extension, thighs in line with feet.

Yes there are differences in muscle emphasis etc, but at your level this does not matter, you just have to start squatting.

Thanks....

I tried to do body weight to begin with... I think my feet were pointed out too much... I pulled something between my legs near the hips on the inside (few days ago).

Hopefully I can do it better now.

Groin?

Plenty of stretching and foam rolling prior to squatting. Its probably one of the few movements where I spend a bit more time warming up

There is no "right" way when it comes to feet position. It will vary with the style of squat you are doing which is directly associated with your intent.

For example, an equipped powerlifter will have a wide stance as that's the position that will put all the pressure on the hips which is what the compression suit is supporting. A raw lifter will have a moderate stance. An olympic lifter will have a narrow stance. Gym rats will probably use the moderate stance or, if they specifically want to target the quads, a narrow stance.

Depending on the stance, your toes should be pointed in the direction in which your knee will travel. So, a wide stance squatter will have the toes pointed out because that's where the knee is going. An olympic lifter will have their toes pointing almost dead straight ahead because that's where the knee is going.

So, figure out the foot position that best suits what you are wanting to accomplish. That normally would mean a moderate, shoulder width or a fraction wider stance with the knees turned out a bit to be in line with the knee as it travels during the squat.

That is the safest way to protect the knee. If your toes are pointing out too wide, the knees will tend to cave inwards, taking the tension out of your glutes and making your squat weaker.

If you have a wide stance with the toes pointing forward, you will put a huge shear force on your ankle and have your knee hanging outside your foot, ready to pop all those juicy tendons in there.

Front squats are a quad dominant exercise so you would use a narrow olympic stance with toes almost pointing directly forward.

Moderate squat stance with toes pointing in line with knee travel:

glutes1.jpg

The wide and narrow stance:

Super narrow stance, not recommended but worth looking at for a while:

1ce4278e050476da538b1f4158b5f8fc.jpg