• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
0dac3d545891621a967831966fa46435.jpg
Aha!

I will try get this back on partial topic

Rippetoad.
McRobert.
Lyle McDonald.
Eric Helms.
Alan Aragon.
At the moment I am really enjoying Greg Nuckols and his articles that take a minimum 15mins to get through.

I think Rippetoe bought back a little sense into weight lifting.
Stuart on the other hand made a lot of people see how fictitious those muscle and fiction magazines are, and that many where throwing their money away on supplements and rediculously long split workouts.

So, (as the thread states) no one specifically that you can single out as a prominent writer as a result of the Internet?

or you really just treat the Internet as a library.

None that, in relation to fitness, haven't already been mentioned for the most part. I don't think the internet has enabled people to become prominent writers, it has allowed them to reach a broader and larger audience. A quality writer would be writing quality material regardless. Unfortunately it has allowed the proliferation of a lot of rubbish also. Hence the skill of discerning useful and useless information, or fact or opinion or good or poor quality information or however you want to put it, is essential. You don't see any conceptual parallels between the internet and a library? What is this thread aiming to achieve?

[MENTION=17457]Repacked[/MENTION] ; I know everyone won't be in the same boat as me, but I am using this thread to see if there is anyone I haven't heard of or actually read anything they have written. Yes a lot is recycled these days but some people word things slightly different which can lead to a better understanding

Oh gawd so you never bought a book?
nevermind.

No. I have never bought a book. In fact I am barely literate. Now, you can return to your throne atop Mt. Condescension.

@Repacked ; I know everyone won't be in the same boat as me, but I am using this thread to see if there is anyone I haven't heard of or actually read anything they have written. Yes a lot is recycled these days but some people word things slightly different which can lead to a better understanding

I suspected the purpose was to bring the names of quality authors to the fore, albeit in a rather convoluted manner.

Great thread idea.

For me, the biggest influence has come from and in no order:

Mike Israetel - has really paved the way for my current and future prs! You'll struggle to find a better resource online in terms of diet OR lifting (for both BB and PL too).
Dan John - the first internet guy i really followed. Definitely agree in thinking he helped a shit tonne of people. myself included with quite a few email's back and forth. He has never not answered my questions over the years.
And more recently:
Allan Aragon
Eric Helms
Lyle Mcdonald
Greg Nuckols
Danny Lennon (Sigma Nutrition Radio Podcast)

There are others, but it turned out they were nothing on these guys and possibly wasted alot of my time, so they have been forgotten.

The list of people Darkoz has scorn for is too long for this thread. In this he is much like Rippetoe himself.

But this thread is about who we are inspired by, not who we scorn. For me the big influences are Rip and - to soften the hardarse approach there - Dan John.

Pavel Tstatsouline has some good ideas, unfortunately you have to listen to a lot of self-important promotional blather to get to it. Paul Carter (lift-run-bang) used to be good but then he started doing seminars and became too macho chest-thumping and "everyone else is stupid."

And for fitness business stuff, you can't go past Thomas Plummer.

Last edited:
Not sure if Plummer has much in writing, I have DVDs, or the downloadable versions; there are excerpts on that page. Not much on training, as I said, but the fitness business. Basically, he says what I've found in the stats, that since 2007 the big box gyms haven't made more money, they're stagnant. Growth has been in, in order: 24hr unstaffed gyms, women-only gyms, and training gyms. He focuses on the last.

The list of people Darkoz has scorn for is too long for this thread. In this he is much like Rippetoe himself.

But this thread is about who we are inspired by, not who we scorn. For me the big influences are Rip and - to soften the hardarse approach there - Dan John.

Pavel Tstatsouline has some good ideas, unfortunately you have to listen to a lot of self-important promotional blather to get to it. Paul Carter (lift-run-bang) used to be good but then he started doing seminars and became too macho chest-thumping and "everyone else is stupid."

And for fitness business stuff, you can't go past Thomas Plummer.
At first I thought why is Kyle being mean to me but then you list Rippletoe as a big influence for you
Don't reply please, otherwise you'll be off topic

1. Jeff Cavaliere, intimate knowledge of movement and physiology.
2. Mark Rippatoe, taught me how to deadlift and squat.
3. Probably a few of the blokes off the forum, you will know who you are.

In terms on non internet references Joe Weider olympia training manuals were probably one of my main inspirations to start lifting, found it for $2 at an Opp Shop.

The older blokes like ripp, John and the like that have written quite a lot on the subject had been around prior to the Internet it has been good for them as repacked had noted - exposure and such.

for the younger boys and girls who are the people (the new crop) that have made a positive impact on you, the writers that have developed as a result of the Internet.

i cut my teeth on reading weider articles via magazines it wasn't until I got on the net that I discovered people like Arthur Jones, Darden, mcRobert, and most importantly for me, Dr Ken liestner, but I haven't seen anyone write anything new in the last 20 years.

I thing Stuert McRoberts was a trail blazer.

the, "tell all..." Handbook IMO was the last best book ever produced.

Matt Bryzki is another prolific writer during the early Internet days.