• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Reide

Head Slut Kuncet
I've always heard people blaming obesity for low income. Bad foods are supposedly cheaper and help keep you fuller for longer. But when you look at potatoes, rices and even pastas they give you energy and fill you up. So what is your opinion on the matter? Can you eat healthy on a low amount of money? Why and why not?

It's tough but you have to shop smart. If you can afford to buy bulk it will always work out better but if you can't afford it then it's a bit of a catch 22.
Buy from wholesalers or markets rather than the supermarket. Probably Aldi over there? Use cheaper cuts of meat (if you're still eating meat?) which means more stews, curries, roasts etc. Slow cooking to make them tender. And mince I guess.

Pretty sure it's cheaper to eat 'healthy' what ever that is than to eat rubbish.

Yes low income people on the dole or with low income blame low income for being fat, has nothing to do with being lazy, I mean people with a higher income will straight away lose weight. Most will also blame the rest of the world for their personal problems etc.

Most dole bludgers (those that make it a career) seem to find money for crappy tattoos, alcohol, smokes and drugs, so not really sure why they can't afford to eat properly.

Costs more to take the family to Maccas for dinner than buying rump steak and salad for dinner or making some chicken stir fry, or having a BBQ at home.

But one requires you to move and do something while the other is done for you.

Last edited:
Depends on degree of "healthy" and "unhealthy".
Can do takeout every meal which is going to cost heaps $$$$$$
Or you can live on 2minute noodles and toast. $

Healhier... Veg rice Meat $$
If you want organic then more,
If you want to make fancy pabts smoothies and exotic stuff with all the 'superfoods' and ladi da $$$$

The bad food obese excuse is just an excuse. Obese needs a considerable about of food even if it is just on noodles and they aren't out running or bodyweight training for free. So my opinion is excuse.

It is harder when you are addicted and have no knowledge and marketing tells you you need crazy pills and smoothie machines etc but its not in my opinion a valid reason.

My friends gained weight in uni and blamed being poor.... but really... they chose to eat noodles all term so they had money to party hard every weekend.
?

it's much cheaper, and not really the debate and shouldn't be, but most troglodytes (dumb people) when it comes to eating and preparing meals are time poor due to not making it a priority.

well - they think they are time poor, it probably takes just as more time and money to drive to maccas

like I've stated before; "actions verify priorities" in most things

If we've learnt anything, unemployed obese people are strong in using logic to justify their lifestyle.

A healthy lifestyle is cheaper no doubt
I reckon a single person could eat well on 70 bucks a week or less and a vegan even cheaper

Easily can if you shop around!
My local chicken store sells chicken breast for $6.49kg and the shopping centres with a supermarket and fruit shop will always have competitive pricing

A healthy lifestyle is cheaper no doubt
I reckon a single person could eat well on 70 bucks a week and a vegan for less

yeah, but for obese people, it's it more to do with eating too much?

It's a double edged sword, obese people are not very active, which does not help their cause, so they live solitary type lives, their outlet is to visit food malls and eat more still.

thats my thinking.

its not so much the "junk food", if there is any - we often discuss this.

but "junk food" for these types of people is the extra they consume, which turns into fat.

yeah, but for obese people, it's it more to do with eating too much?

It's a double edged sword, obese people are not very active, which does not help their cause, so they live solitary type lives, their outlet is to visit food malls and eat more still.

thats my thinking.

its not so much the "junk food", if there is any - we often discuss this.

but "junk food" for these types of people is the extra they consume, which turns into fat.
It is a double edged sword and I would say that a sedentry lifestyle has as much to do with being obese than over eating, if not more.
Being inactive doesn't require many calories at all, so combine that with eating as much or more than an active person needs and you've got big trouble

for myself, with a 6-7km walk only burning around 500 calories, diet is clearly most important. I only need 3000 calories a day, and my weight increases due to sedentary lifestyle apart from training 6-10 hours per week and a bit of gardening and walking.

I used to labour 8 hours a day prior to 2009, as well as train, so diet then was less important.

as for eating cheaply, the starchy carbs are very cheap to get most calories, but eating meat and veggies more is a bit more expensive.

[MENTION=18530]Reide[/MENTION]
I thought you were using Prana protein and coconut milks and creams in your cooking?

Or is this just a discussion topic? ☺
I have some low budget recipes but not $11 a week low.

[MENTION=18530]Reide[/MENTION]
I thought you were using Prana protein and coconut milks and creams in your cooking?

Or is this just a discussion topic? ☺
I have some low budget recipes but not $11 a week low.
I am personally on a low budget but my food bill is usually only $20 a week due to shopping at markets and stuff. I also eat loads of lentals, chick peas and beans. I even make my own sauces and soups.

I merely bought this up as I personally consider my diet healthy and yet I hear people complaining that healthy is too expensive. I really don't get it. .

Can you still eat healthy on a low budget?
No, you can eat healthy because of a low budget or income. In the old days, only the rich had access to certain luxuries, and one of if not the king of all luxuries back then was what we now call white poison. That's right, sugar...., add white flour to the mix whilst you're at it!

I've always heard people blaming obesity for low income.
Obesity has more than one cause, some are medical, some are psychological/emotional, others are based on ignorance and perhaps a belief that one needs to be rich to afford nutrient dense food.
Bad foods are supposedly cheaper and help keep you fuller for longer.
The opposite is also true when it comes to some of the best foods on this planet...., I'm thinking legumes and pulses, the resistant starch kings. Remember in another post of yours on juice, I did make mention of your internal health and there I wrote the word microbiome/your internal gut environment, healthy or otherwise. Yogurt is another very cheap food that is simply amazing for your internal health and it costs peanuts (no actually it's cheaper than peanuts and much better for you) when you make it yourself.

But when you look at potatoes, rices and even pastas they give you energy and fill you up. So what is your opinion on the matter? Can you eat healthy on a low amount of money? Why and why not?
Potatoes can not be placed in the same group as rice and pasta (generally speaking). Why is that? Because a potato is a whole food, rice and pasta that most people eat are generally speaking, devoid of any goodness bar the energy they provide in the form of their starchy carbohydrates. So what exactly are you saying Fadi, are they bad and are they to blame for the obesity some are suffering (blame due to their cheap prices)? My reply is absolutely not, if you care to teach yourself a little bit about food and how one can turn or render more nutritious what is less so. How is that done? By combining (say) some red kidney beans with pasta or rice. In doing so, you don't only add some much neeed nutritional elements that were missing from the two aforementioned foods, but you also create what most people (nutritionists included) are not aware of, and that is what we call the second meal effect. That's when eating a highly resistant-starch and soluble fiber food like a bean or a lentil with one that is not (rice and pasta). By doing so, you affect your insulin and blood sugar levels in a favourable way, where even when you eat your second meal (say the next morning after having a meal of rice and beans the night before), your morning meal does not have the same effect on your blood sugar levels as if you had not eaten the legumes the meal before.

Eggs (everyone here knows how I feel about the incredible egg yolk) are one of the cheapest and most nutritionally dense food out there..., and they're cheap. Even meat in Australia is cheap, and becomes even cheaper when you use is as a complementary food rather than a primary food.

I'll leave it here otherwise this will really drag and bore everyone. Thanks for your question Cristy, and I hope I've given you a somewhat satisfactory reply.

Last edited:
Why would it not be tasty just because its cheap? Or the inverse, what makes flavour expensive?

Grow a little herb garden, use some sauce etc. Doesn't have to break the bank