• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Rileh

M 181cm 83kg

Hey, I have been doing a basic PPL for a couple of months inconsistently but now as my schedule is tighter the time is too much. My new routine is based on Stronglifts 5x5 with added accessories. Goal is a balance of strength and aesthetics. Also on a slow bulk.

Current 1RMs (kgs):

Squat - 105

Deadlift - 135

Bench - 72.5

OHP (5RM) - 40

Workout A

5x5 Squats
5x5 Bench Press
5x5 Barbell Row
3x8-12 Tricep Pulldowns
3x15 Lateral Raises
3x8-12 Bicep Curls
Abs

Workout B

5x5 Squats
5x5 Overhead Press
1x5 Deadlift
3x8-12 Dumbbell Incline Press
3x8-12 Lat Pulldowns
3x8-12 Bicep Curls
Abs

To be completed with a rest day in between about 3 times a week. I like to vary the type of curls too. Also considering changing Workout B to 1x5 Deadlifts first, 5x5 OHP then 3x8-12 Leg press.

Any critiques, criticisms appreciated.

Last edited:
No critique required. Keep doing that while your progressing. If progression halts, eat more.

Last edited:
No critique required. Keep doing that while your progressing. If progression halts, eat more.

Thanks! Ha it's always nice to know that you're on the right track.

And yeah am currently on a slow bulk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to know how do you dial in 'strength' and 'aesthetics' at will
Do you decide, oops my muscles are growing too big, better focus on strength now and when I think I'm getting too strong I'll switch to growing my muscles.

Yeah it's all in the rep's baby, anything over three is strength only over that muscles start to magically increase

Due to the systemic response a Full Body Workout is certainly healthier.

You mentioned being inconsistent due to time constraints. So your routine has to allow for that. An okay routine you do regularly works better than a great one you do now and then. I would go for something shorter and simpler, like one day squat and press, the other day bench and deadlift, edge the weights up over time. I don't think you need to balance strength and aesthetics at this point, get your bench to 100kg and your squat to 140 and you'll be more aesthetic, bro.

For a youngster a full body workout is the go, the body is in a good to grow fast, even for an older more seasoned trainee.

Due to the systemic response a Full Body Workout is certainly healthier.

maybe, but imo you can mix up elements of training in a number of ways. While I don't believe in any one way is superior, most Aust champion bodybuilders I have known always improved on split routines. Don't think any other system would have made much difference. they did all the basic right; enough training intensity stimulus, and good nutrition.

Weight lifting is different because of skill element necessary to lifting weights. You need to lift more often. just like a sprinter, although I would personally promote a lot of lighter lifting (speed).

More important to a bb is ensuring that you do not train a muscle when fatigued.

I know all the 70s greats trained whole body at time, but I don't think it makes any difference.

maybe, but imo you can mix up elements of training in a number of ways. While I don't believe in any one way is superior, most Aust champion bodybuilders I have known always improved on split routines. Don't think any other system would have made much difference. they did all the basic right; enough training intensity stimulus, and good nutrition.

Weight lifting is different because of skill element necessary to lifting weights. You need to lift more often. just like a sprinter, although I would personally promote a lot of lighter lifting (speed).

More important to a bb is ensuring that you do not train a muscle when fatigued.

I know all the 70s greats trained whole body at time, but I don't think it makes any difference.

How would they train full time if they did full body workouts? No rest in between?

I don't disagree with too much of what you've said except that the Body does adapt to levels of Fatigue.

Thing is though too, that neither Sherk, Gooby or Darkslutz do Cardio plus they prolly aren't really after a lot of Mass and have already built a lot.

Full Body 3 x week and then 3 or 4 cardio sessions per week sorts out the Men from the Boys! :D

Last edited: