• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
J

JackHart

Sadly the other excellent thread on this, is missing all of its pictures. Including the link here for reference.

http://ausbb.com/showthread.php?t=15419

I need to build a platform to avoid damaging the floor in our house (no other place to put it) and to hold in place the following rack which needs to be bolted to the floor (this is the rack with the smallest footprint that I can find, it needs bolting).

http://www.rogueaustralia.com.au/rogue-rml-390bt-power-rack-au

I am thinking along the lines of the former thread. A single 2400x1200mm 17mm thick structural plywood panel from Bunnings. Bolting the rack to the platform, (leaving the bolt to stick out the bottom) and covering the bottom and top of the platform with rubber. The rubber on the top for non-stick and to absorb shock, and the rubber on the bottom to both absorb shock, and provide spacing for the bolt that will partially stick on the bottom. Feedback welcome :)

This Melbourne company sells something called "Recycled Matting" that would probably do the job, waiting to hear back on price. (Near the last page)

http://www.completerubber.com.au/cmsAdmin/uploads/matting.pdf

Gday mate. Cant really help with the platform design as I haven't built one myself, but might be able to help with materials.

Firstly, Bunnings sell "Gym Mats" that are made from recycled rubber that are much the same as the ones in your link. They are 1m x 1m x 10mm and have slightly beveled edges. They are about $32 and are ok for what they are. You can however get much better ones from specialty equipment outlets that are 15mm thick and much denser. Expect to pay 40-50 dollars each for the good ones though.

Secondly, when you are at Bunnings looking at Ply, make sure you know what grade you are looking at. The cheap stuff will warp over time. Marine Ply would be the best choice as it will resist moisture and stay flat. That said, if it were me, id be giving it a coat or two of polyurethane for good measure anyway.

Which ever Ply you end up going for, make sure that the ticket (and product number) match the product. Bunnings have a nasty habit of shoving things in the wrong place. Trust me, I work there ;)

Good luck with the build mate and remember to post up some pics when its done!

Last edited:
I reckon you'd want to put the bolts in to the concrete, I wouldn't just bolt it to the ply like it sounds like you're planning?

I reckon you'd want to put the bolts in to the concrete, I wouldn't just bolt it to the ply like it sounds like you're planning?

You would think that wouldn't you? Apparently because the thing weighs over 100kg when constructed it's not likely to be a problem. I would prefer to drill it into the concrete but I can't.

Why do you want to bolt it down? If its 100kg it won't be moving much. I built my platform out of two sheets of 15mm marine ply and 15mm gym mats. The platform itself is 2400x1200 and the left over ply and gym mats (1200x1200) are stuck together to bring the rack up to the height of the platform. So it essentially is a T shape. I only did it this way in the first place because of space constraints, I would have just preferred 2400x2400 platform

I'm guessing because it's tall and has a fairly small footprint. It's 3 times taller than it is long.
Depends what you're going to be doing off it though. The way I see some people try and re-rack weights, I wouldn't be surprised if the rack fell over. 100kg in rack weight isn't that much if you've got 100kg of bodyweight swinging off the highest point or 200kg on a bb. There's nowhere on the sides to store weights so you can't add ballast as such.

Yep definitely need to attach it to something unless you have a weight stack on the back. I think the ply will work, I have made a platform as well and it is reasonably heavy and realistically just widens the base of the rack (when you attach it). Would just make sure to use some big washers so there is no way you can pull the bolts through

That's what I would have thought. Some plates on the under side to spread the load. Last thing you want is the bolts ripping thru the ply when you need it most

Yep, I won't be swinging on it. I only need to worry about re-racking (i.e. A mishap where I re-rack forcefully after a squat/bench/OHP). I believe using giant washers under the structural ply to distribute the load should work, but I'm not a structural engineer so I can't be sure.

(Also I can't imagine myself lifting competitively at this point, so I don't imagine ever shutting or benching more than maybe 2x body weight, so no more than about 150kg or so)

Surely the pull up bar though is what the guys above are talking about with swinging off.
Another option which may be a better solution than say washers is using a thin piece of steel underneath the platform. Will see if I can explain.

Bolt goes through rack, into platform, then have a strip of steel under that the bolt goes through, the strip will be long enough to take two bolts eg. both left (front and back).

or simply use a small square of steel to just spread the load from the bolt

Whichever way you choose. The fixing on the bottom of the platform will need to be flush so you don't fuck the floor up, defeating the purpose of having it

Whichever way you choose. The fixing on the bottom of the platform will need to be flush so you don't fuck the floor up, defeating the purpose of having it

Yep, I'll put rubber on the bottom as well, with small holes cut in the rubber where the bolt/washer are sitting, which will hopefully avoid the bolts making contact with the actual floor, and also provide extra shock absorption.

2ZPVxlsVSDu1

2ZPWMkTndRDH

The dimensions of a 2400x1200 platform are annoying if you use 1000mm rubber square, but if I cut the top rubber at 75cm, that leaves an offset that can be used to fill the gap the top. (i.e. I think the top left and the top right can be done with one square each.)

Last edited:
Would definitely suggest bolting down, no doubt about it.
Unless the bottom of the rack/platform has some serious surface around it to spread the load.
Marine Ply or Form Ply would be best. Form is stronger in my opinion but may be less force absorbent.
But I imagine with a good rubber matting, this wouldn't be a problem.

Once you've bolted it and put the rubber on the bottom, fill the area around the bolt heads with silicone, it will form a barrier between the floor and the bolt head, not a very durable one if you drag it around alot, but should be ok for the times they'll be forced down towards the floor. And then the silicone just pulls out when you're deconstructing the unit.
Also if you put the bolts through and then silicone them while you're gluing the rubber to the bottom, it'll hold the bolts in place while you flip the board*.

*I actually have no experience with using silicone on wood. We use it on steel at work. It may or may not have the same abilities when used with wood.

Last edited: