• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Does anyone here keep bees??

I have been wanting to do it for a while, and I am currently considering getting a hive of native Australian Bees once I move to my property later this year.
I have shares with a neighbour and he infuses all sorts of stuff into the honey he makes. We just planted out a Leatherwood plantation to put some hives amongst but thats a 4-5year return

I have shares with a neighbour and he infuses all sorts of stuff into the honey he makes. We just planted out a Leatherwood plantation to put some hives amongst but thats a 4-5year return

What sort of bees does you/he have??

I was looking at the Australian Native bees as they don't sting, so will be fine with the pets, neighbours and kids, but they do produce less honey, but apparently it's nicer honey.

Don't really know much about them, I do have a neighbour here (next street over) that recently obtained a hive, will go and see him in the next few days and check it out.

What sort of bees does you/he have??

I was looking at the Australian Native bees as they don't sting, so will be fine with the pets, neighbours and kids, but they do produce less honey, but apparently it's nicer honey.

Don't really know much about them, I do have a neighbour here (next street over) that recently obtained a hive, will go and see him in the next few days and check it out.
We have the Blue Banded Bees.
Definitely go see your local guy, he will know whats working in your area.

We lost 3 out of 6 hives 2 summers ago for no reason. Can be a tricky Hobby but well rewarded.

And dont buy those Flow Hive pieces of crap.

it appears if it gets too hot they can die.

This neighbour is only a beginner, he only had his hive about a week or two, but it sparked my interest again.

Will have a look anyway and see.

Won't be getting one till I move to my property, as I am only here for another 8-10 months, so no point getting one set up here. We will be moving January next year the latest, hopefully before then.

Maybe some shading for the hotter months would be good then? I was watching a docco about some type of mite that is decimating bees everywhere

My neighbours bees are under Yellow Box Gums where they get their pollen from. Full shade mostly, I guess air temp cant be controlled how we want for it to be sustainable

Random fact. Only local honey is good for allergies as it has the right amount of local pollen which helps create the right antibodies to help prevent current and future pollen allergies.

Random fact. Only local honey is good for allergies as it has the right amount of local pollen which helps create the right antibodies to help prevent current and future pollen allergies.

... Uhh you didn't know that?

ab7f32cb8cccefde4e504ef26f2ec20a.jpg

Intersting fact.

I don't have a lot of honey, but always get sucked into buying the 'natural' honey on the road side stalls when on road trips.

Sometimes I add honey to smoothies in the Nutribullet or to post workout shakes.

Have never bought supermarket honey, I remember reading somewhere that they feed the bees up on sugar water to make more honey with less work ie no need to collect pollen, not sure if this is true though, I have never really looked into it.

How's the Bee Keeping going [MENTION=8428]Big Mick[/MENTION]; ?

As I said in the opening post, won't be getting my hive till I move to my property, no point getting bees settled in a few months before moving 650km.

I did go to a bee farm only last Thursday down the road from where we are building and checked a working hive out, and ended up getting sucked into buying a tub of natural bush honey, only bought it as we were all out of honey anyway, and it did taste delicious, very strong honey flavour.