• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Fadi

We're told that speed has more genetic limitations than strength, so in order to improve on power; one may be wise to focus on increasing maximum strength to the highest possible degree. Brute strength is what we want. But wait a minute, that's not what the title of this thread is saying!

You see, it's gonna be a case of give and take, or put differently, what goes around comes around. So far so good, let's continue. Picture the late Bruce Lee for a second, picture him throwing one of his lightning fast punches or kicks. What do you think would have happened to his opponent's face if Bruce's velocity lacked the "punch" in his punches, or as they say, he had no weight behind his punch? What is meant by the word "weight" here is not some nice shiny d/bell, but rather some serious force, i.e. strength behind his punch. So speed that lacks some force behind it is worthless. Still, I haven't touched on the thread's title...yet.

So, to maximise on muscle recruitment, one needs to focus on velocity of movement in addition to focusing on maximal strength gains. Mmm, we're getting there....albeit slowly, so please bear with me.

OK now we're getting the picture that one element without the other, is not much good. Speed has to play a part if you want to gain strength, just as strength has to play a part if you want speed to be meaningful. Is that making sense to you Ausbb?

We gonna have to inject some power-specific training into our lifting program. What would we achieve by doing so I hear you ask? We'd have more neuromuscular control and more muscle fiber recruitment. And how’s that? Fast moves require faster impulses from the brain to the muscle, creating a higher rate of force development. That in turn equals to more strength again. A 100kg moved/pulled/pressed/lifted (say) in 2 seconds, requires more force than the same weight moved in more time than that. So the velocity of your movement speaks volumes of your strength capabilities in that instance.

Time to introduce something different to the usual strength routines, and that is speed-strength training, or rather, applying speed to certain compound exercises in your training. Now to enable you to do that, you’re gonna need to drop the percentages of your lifts to around the 60% mark of your 1RM, and perform about 5 reps with some real explosiveness behind them. You may even choose to take (say) 20 seconds break between those 5 reps, or continue right through, or try both approaches to see what works best for you in maintaining perfect form whilst taking advantage of this method.

Some may argue that of course I’ll be able to do such lifts with added speed (comfortably) since the intensity/load has been reduced. My reply to that would be sure, when compared with your usual way of lifting to maximise on strength, i.e. slow and controlled, this speed-strength addition to your routine has as its prime purpose, the maximising of motor unit recruitment instead. So give this speed-strength training a go if you like, and challenge your nerves, not just your muscles.

Last edited:
I would like to recruit all my muscle fibres when I train thats for sure @Fadi; cheers for this info. Based on your recommendations from your training log I tried it out for one session after my main set at 70% but next time will drop it to 60%.

Is there a huge difference to what you are saying here about waiting 20sec between reps if I can just blast through the set of 5 in one continuous go?

Another thing that crossed my mind is why not just do all my warm up sets as speed reps? Granted its the polar opposite of what I am doing now - which is slow, paused reps based on the school of thought that this will help me "feel" and engage every muscle and to maximise range of motion - but I am willing to switch it up again and warm up explosively if that will help me recruit more muscle for the main lifts.

I would like to recruit all my muscle fibres when I train thats for sure @Fadi; cheers for this info. Based on your recommendations from your training log I tried it out for one session after my main set at 70% but next time will drop it to 60%.
Or even 50% if need be mate. It's not about lifting the maximum weight but lifting the weight fast...., that would in turn allow you to maximise on increasing your maximum weights through (not so much a)different channel, but more of an enhanced nervous system. And without a top notch nervous system working on your side, all training would lead to very little indeed.

Is there a huge difference to what you are saying here about waiting 20sec between reps if I can just blast through the set of 5 in one continuous go?
As long as you maintain form, then by all means do one rep after another. With doing one rep at time with bit of gap in between, your focus would be on a totally different level, as you'd be able to execute each rep as if it was your first and only rep, with 100% oomph throughout the explosiveness. You can pretend (when squatting), that there's a rocket booster underneath your feet helping you to blast off, as you generate maximum force through the platform underneath you.

Another thing that crossed my mind is why not just do all my warm up sets as speed reps?
Fine, as long as you don't lose control and end up risking injury. Yes, there is such a thing as too much power at the wrong time. I really need to clarify here. Take plyometric jumping as an example here. There's zero (extra) weight here, as you'd be using your own bodyweight to really explode with. The #1 key here would be to have a body that is warmed up properly, or else injury is 100% guaranteed. Similarly when you're warming up with an empty bar (for example), you may think oh it's an empty bar, therefore I can just get right into it giving it all that I have..., that would be a big mistake. So please do take heed that if you wish to use your warm up, as well as weights leading up to the 50 or 60% training weights, you'd need to take it "easier" and a bit slower before you really go balls to the wall OK.

Granted its the polar opposite of what I am doing now - which is slow, paused reps based on the school of thought that this will help me "feel" and engage every muscle and to maximise range of motion - but I am willing to switch it up again and warm up explosively if that will help me recruit more muscle for the main lifts.
Please be fully aware that the aim here is to engage the nervous system in a different way than it has been accustomed to, by teaching it through this type of training, to (like you said), be able to maximise on motor unit recruitment...which would lead to more strength later on down the track.