• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
[h=1]Josh the giant: what it takes to become the world's best bodybuilder[/h]After reaching the top of the bodybuilding game in Australia, 'king of the gym' Josh Lenartowicz is on a quest to conquer the globe.
Words and photography by Margaret Burin
Updated Sat at 9:28pm
Print Email Facebook Twitter More

At his Brunswick gym, a hub for Melbourne bodybuilders, Josh Lenartowicz is a local idol.
His look is certainly not mainstream, but here, the 125-kilogram rising star is surrounded by others who admire his pain, suffering and utter commitment.
"What's it like to finally be pro?" asks another man who by all standards is large, but only half the size of Lenartowicz.
"I was crying on stage. I've been working my whole life towards it," he replies.
Two years ago the 32-year-old decided to commit to the sport full time and has since reached his Mount Everest: Mr Olympia, the pinnacle of the bodybuilding world.
The question now is, will he make it to the top?

[h=2]Muscle man from the country[/h]A son of Polish migrants, Lenartowicz grew up in Sale, country Victoria, and has been in the gym since he was 14 years old.
Bodybuilding wasn't exactly on the list of pathways presented by his high school career counsellor, but for the young gym junkie it was always the only option.
"If someone was talking about a car engine, I'd switch off, but if someone was talking about nutrition or training my ears would perk up and I'd be really involved. I absolutely loved it," he said.
"There's a couple of footballers that have come from Sale, but no bodybuilders ever have come out of Sale.
"So it was advised against me. But then, I think if you listen to people and don't do what you love, then you end up living someone else's life and being unhappy."
Bodybuilding is an expensive sport, which meant juggling two jobs with gym, school and homework
PHOTO: Josh Lenartowicz's "champion start to the day".(Supplied)
Up until he was sponsored by a protein meal company recently, Lenartowicz was forking out up to $700 a week on food.
"It's like you're feeding six or seven people," he says.
"It's changed over the years — sometimes I've had eight or ten meals a day — but I've found that having six meals a day is really good at the moment for keeping my waist a bit more slender.
"The meals are quite big, it takes sometimes 30 minutes to eat a meal. So you can see how your day turns out that it's a full-time job."
Now that he has committed to the sport full time, relying on money from his sponsors, he spends between four to eight hours in the gym each day.
It's all-consuming.

[h=2]King of the gym[/h]Right now he's in peak condition for shows and trimming down every last ounce of excess body fat.
That means extreme exhaustion.
[h=2]Josh's weekly workout breakdown[/h]
  • Monday: chest and triceps
  • Tuesday: back and abs
  • Wednesday: quads and calves
  • Thursday: shoulders and traps
  • Friday: arms
  • Saturday: hamstrings and calves
  • Sunday: cardio and stretching

When he's not working out, he's fighting off a constant craving — often not for anything in particular — just for something as mundane as a piece of Vegemite toast.
"I'm not the type of guy that'll have one piece, I'll have a whole loaf," he says.
"I could eat chocolate or schnitzels, gravy, chips. I just like to eat anything that's not bodybuilding food.
"You get the craving, and you do get incredibly hungry, but it's denying that and pushing through. It's a mind game."
[h=2]'I've never ever cheated in my life'[/h]
Lenartowicz knows the immense strain he is putting his body and organs under.
Even posing, where he tenses every possible muscle in his body, leaves him exhausted and out of breath.
"The bigger you get, because muscles require oxygen, it's almost like I'm breathing for two, three or four people and I've still got the same sized lungs and mouth to take that oxygen in."
Since it began, the sport has raised obvious questions around steroids and growth hormones.
Steroids are illegal in the United States.
While they are not strictly tested at many top level competitions, they are against competition rules.
Lenartowicz denies using steroids and growth hormone.
He says his physique comes down to good genetics and many years of hard work.
"I've never ever cheated in my life," he says.
"We always get criticised and analysed.
"It's almost a form of bullying in a way. If people said that about Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods … it is disrespectful in a way because it disregards all the hard work.
"My brothers are both really big as well. They don't have the work ethic, but we're all genetically gifted.
"Anyone who knows about nutrition and training knows that you can adjust your hormone profile through increased cholesterol, which is increased fats."
PHOTO: 'Insane transformation': A before (2013) and after (2015) photo of Josh sparked a conversation on social media, sparking accusations that he is taking steroids and other performance enhancing drugs.(Supplied)
A dramatic before and after photo posted by Lenartowicz last year was shared widely on social media, many speculating about his use of performance-enhancing drugs.
The first image, he says, was taken while he was on honeymoon and had been on a two-week break from the gym for the first time in 10 years.
Hence, the extraordinary transformation.
Unless prescribed by a medical practitioner, anabolic steroids are illegal in the US, Australia and many parts of Europe.
"There's no magic potion. It takes years," he says.
"Anyone thinks that you can get it through taking a performance enhancer is kidding themselves.
Anyone that wants to take it that way should wait til they're old enough and reached their maturity level and seek medical advice.
"I don't judge anyone. But at the same time I don't like being labelled."
[h=2]Following in Arnie's footsteps[/h]More than a decade after his deb ball partner bought him Arnold Schwarzenegger's Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding as a gift, Lenartowicz is competing at the level of his lifelong idols.
I'm still really a no name, but anyone that reached some level of greatness had to at some point start somewhere and had to beat competitors who people never thought would be beaten.

Wins at the San Marino Pro in Italy and the Lou Ferrigno Legacy in California won him a spot at this year's Mr Olympia, a title that determines who can call themselves the world's best.
Josh is competing in Portland, Oregon this weekend before competing in back-to-back Arnold Classic events, first in California and then in his home city of Melbourne on March 19.
"Arnold Schwarzenegger's definitely been an inspiration throughout my life. And now doing his contests … it almost seems surreal that it's my life.
"I'm still really a no-name, but anyone that reached some level of greatness had to, at some point, start somewhere, and had to beat competitors who people never thought would be beaten."
And if he doesn't win?
"If I finish and I don't get the result that looks like success, I'll still be happy because I've given it everything," he says.

Topics: exercise-and-fitness, brunswick-3056, melbourne-3000, s

Cliffs.
All natty and manipulates hormones through fat intake and Im Father Christmas.

Lenartowicz denies using steroids and growth hormone.
He says his physique comes down to good genetics and many years of hard work.
"I've never ever cheated in my life," he says.
"Anyone who knows about nutrition and training knows that you can adjust your hormone profile through increased cholesterol, which is increased fats."

You posted this for Comedy right Admin? :D

But we on a BBing forum know it all bullshit, if he says no comment when asked a question to some other media outlets they'll be all over it as an admission of guilt anyways, it really is a lose lose situation for him when asked directly about stuff like that....

Well he daid he manipulates fat and that's why he's so big.
Better just to say nothing.

Nah, its worse than that. He said he has never takes Steroids and then he makes a direct reference to using Fats to manipulate Hormones. Its deliberately deceitful and dishonest.

Young kids growing up will be reading that and wondering why they can't achieve such great results as his. They will be prone to developing body image disorders and will be prone to falling for the Supplement industry bullshit.

I was once such a kid. Fuck you Josh Whatever your name is. I'd like to put you and your ilk into a Coma! You are a scumbag!

Rant over.

Last edited:
But we on a BBing forum know it all bullshit, if he says no comment when asked a question to some other media outlets they'll be all over it as an admission of guilt anyways, it really is a lose lose situation for him when asked directly about stuff like that....
I understand that but..... He did say as Stiff alluded too that he never cheated and yada yada yada.
Its too much in this say and age.
10-20 years ago maybe. Not today.

well whats he suppose to say when asked a question? he knows it will be published so i guess he has say something which may even attract some people to his contest prep business or PT business he is running even if 90% is complete BS, but when talkingt o mainstream media we all know he cant come and say its the gear, because we should all also know that it is also the hard work, the nutrition the genetics etc which all contribute...

Well the answer is definitely not lying. What other industry can you be a professional based 100% off lies and deceiving people. Either man up and be honest or just say "genetics". Don't blatantly lie.

So now we're back at the start. What's the point you're trying to make? It's ok to deceive and lie to make money?