• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Means exactly what it says.

More often than not young dudes start out bench pressing for the purpose of showing how strong they are whilst also thinking it is an exercise that is primarily a boob exercise, which it ain't.

if you are going to make the call and say most exercises "broken down" are (for the sake of an argument) useless, which I didn't say it was, then let's discuss it.

is it a good pec biulder?
no, not really.

I'm shattered.
How so?

I do a lot of bench:
Day A
flat, incline, flys
DAY B
Incline, flat, cables or pec deck (whichever is free)

Why isn't it a good builder?
I understand the function of the pec muscle is to pull the arm across the chest and all that
But it is a heavy exercise and seems to grow the chest :confused:

The barbell bench press is a good exercise, if you all have seen my posts over the years I've never said there was an exercise that shouldn't be done, I'm just saying know what it does and make sure it fits.

I think that if a young kid started with using DB's and he was interested in growing his pecs this is all he'd need.
Various presses, flys and such.

the barbell should be used sparingly if you are getting hurt stop it.

Bazza goes off on a tangent and thinks too much when he's got nothing to do.

i reckon the popularity of the bench press has caused "the rotator cuff" syndrome

The barbell bench press is a good exercise, if you all have seen my posts over the years I've never said there was an exercise that shouldn't be done, I'm just saying know what it does and make sure it fits.

I think that if a young kid started with using DB's and he was interested in growing his pecs this is all he'd need.
Various presses, flys and such.

the barbell should be used sparingly if you are getting hurt stop it.

Bazza goes off on a tangent and thinks too much when he's got nothing to do.

i reckon the popularity of the bench press has caused "the rotator cuff" syndrome

yes, I admit it's a shoulder fukka, but there are so many kunce on the bumbell rack that I cannot be fucked squeezing in there.
so I mostly bench (and like doing it), grew my chest ok, it's still a good exercise, Si?

yes, I admit it's a shoulder fukka, but there are so many kunce on the bumbell rack that I cannot be fucked squeezing in there.
so I mostly bench (and like doing it), grew my chest ok, it's still a good exercise, Si?

Good.

And ruined a lot of shoulders.

its a perfectly fine exercise for a lot of people under normal circumstances

Cool story.

Bench is fine for most people. Hurts a few peoples shoulders. So what, if you are not one of them keep benching.

If you activate your chest when benching, pecs do most of work.

If you just lift it up fo sake of lifting it up, then leverages and body structure are more of a factor.

Very good Pops.

The "Bro Bench" I like to call it. Where you deliberately try to focus on activating the Chest as much as possible.

Not my cuppa Tea though. It (doing a Chest dominant Bench) fucks up your Boxing, both speed and arcs.

For a lot of Bro's (non competitive Bodybuilders etc) it should be OK unless it gives you a narrower looking Chest by pulling the Shoulders in like it seemed to do to me.

Give partial reps a chance. You (and everyone else) are strong in most of the lift, but are let down due to a weak portion of that total sum. So identify that part, in order for it to make it into the whole.

In addition to the answer I've given few days ago (above), another approach to your training whether you're after muscle hypertrophy or strength would be to give the double-stimulation method a go. This way of training would help prolong protein synthesis and would trigger greater muscle responsiveness. As far as muscle recovery is concerned, this will be self-regulating. Yes, I can write more about this, however the first thing you need to do is to have an attitude change towards the way you've been told on how to get big and strong, for without a change in attitude, old ideas would keep on holding you back from moving forward. Let go with your mind, and your body would (at least) be given a chance to accept what appears to be counterintuitive to many.