• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
The bench press is not a good exercise.

hitting arbitrary numbers isn't a result of just doing one or two things.
in the case of the op, trying to get to 100kg?
what for?

I agree with you and shrek.

As for wanting to hit 100kg. Why not? People like hitting milestones.

Let's break it down;

is it a good pec biulder?
no, not really.
is it a good shoulder biulder?
maybe, the front delts take a hit, but the fact that the shoulder blades are pinned against the bench can't move creates a whole lot of problems in the long term .
is it a good arm biulder?
well now we are getting somewhere, but a much safer and efficient exercise would be cable push downs.

Last edited:
The bench press is not a good exercise.

hitting arbitrary numbers isn't a result of just doing one or two things.
in the case of the op, trying to get to 100kg?
what for?
True

but are ashamed to drop the weight
and start from the bottom

when I first started squatting I could not go ass to the grass
so drop my weight super low
and kept practicing my breathing and my form
slowly increase weight
now I can not sqaut with going as to grass

point is don't be ashamed to drop the weight and start from the bottom again

I agree with you and shrek.

As for wanting to hit 100kg. Why not? People like hitting milestones.

nothing at all.
80kg is an easy target and most can hit this very quick, say 3 months but after that things slow down rapidly, to say "I want 100kg" in a month. why?
it ain't gonna happen.

Let's break it down;

is it a good pec biulder?
no, not really.
is it a good shoulder biulder?
maybe, the front delts take a hit, but the fact that the shoulder blades are pinned against the bench can't move creates a whole lot of problems in the long term .
is it a good arm biulder?
well now we are getting somewhere, but a much safer and efficient exercise would be cable push downs.

It's not perfect but what exercise is. We could break down almost every exercise like that.

Bench is worth doing if you want to. If you don't want to do it, who cares, don't do it. You're not going to get locked up over it.

The standing press is where it's at, if you have the right structure around the shoulder.

You won't get me arguing with that. I love all OH press variations. Doesn't mean you can't bench or bench doesn't have a place.

Last edited:
nothing wrong with using numbers for guiding weight training; albeit hippy feel good shit is also cool as well. Peace bros.

Most top bbs also use numbers to get to a certain base.

It's not perfect but what exercise is. We could break down almost every exercise like that.

Bench is worth doing if you want to. If you don't want to do it, who cares, don't do it. You're not going to get locked up over it.

almost every? Please elucidate.

some exercises are perfect for the individual.

don't be a tool

some people get excellent results for chest on bench alone. I have seen such guys.

others, with different body structures, not so much.