• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I agree. Although according to some here if you don't compete you are not a bodybuilder despite your lifestyle, success in your endeavors etc. o_o
Hey Repacked. I think the members of Ausbb today are largely different than they were when I joined back in 2009. Some of us are still here; are a bit older, wiser, and think more rationally instead of emotionally, as perhaps the younger members did once..., or still do on other forums. I see more maturity here when it comes to the way we all do our thing. So I also agree with you that yes, some members would only qualify you as being a bodybuilder if (and only) if you compete. This is not a view I agree with of course. And I'll give some evidence as to why I believe my view is the right one and their view is not.

My view (and the view of others who share it), is based on bodybuilding, i.e. that sport where you lift some weight and eat real food and grow some muscles. Nothing fancy or magical about it. Their view is ...well, what year shall we talk about? You see, their bodybuilding keeps on changing according (and there's nothing wrong with change per se), but it keeps on changing not into what bodybuilding is truly about (as I've already mentioned), but changing into what people with vested interests want bodybuilding to be.

I grew up, (and I'm sure you and the good people of this awesome forum) also grew up being taught to be ourselves, and not to pretend we're somebody else. Why should our sport of bodybuilding be any different? Why should black become white, and why should the unbroken be fixed?

Would be interested in anyone's view that is different to mine, a view that believes that my sport of bodybuilding is not bodybuilding without it being involved in evolvement....why?

Last edited:
Found this little article describing what could have been the causes of Ronnie's wrecked body. It goes through the major compounds he used and their dangers, plus other stuff as well.

Stuff here about Bilateral training [MENTION=17457]Repacked[/MENTION]; P.S. was Ronnie the most successful PowerBuilder of all time? Has to be.

[MENTION=2727]Fadi[/MENTION]; you're a person who Front Squats at an elite level. I'd be interested to hear your views on the safety of the Front Squat please. From the article:

"Inappropriate exercises; In his training DVD The Unbelievable, Ronnie carries out front squats with a staggering 585 pounds (265 kg) on the barbell11. Two issues that stem from the use of the barbell: firstly, the barbell is not placed in a position for maximum leverage and effort from the muscles. This subsequently affects the overall benefits that can be derived. Secondly, placement across the shoulder girdle (collar and scapula bones) makes it conducive for structural injury."

I love the Front Squat as I always felt it had more 'carryover' for most athletic activities but ...............

http://www.ironmanmag.com.au/profiles/profiles/870-ronnie-colemans-injuries-nwas-it-all-worth-it

Found this little article describing what could have been the causes of Ronnie's wrecked body. It goes through the major compounds he used and their dangers, plus other stuff as well.

Stuff here about Bilateral training @Repacked; P.S. was Ronnie the most successful PowerBuilder of all time? Has to be.

@Fadi; you're a person who Front Squats at an elite level. I'd be interested to hear your views on the safety of the Front Squat please. From the article:

"Inappropriate exercises; In his training DVD The Unbelievable, Ronnie carries out front squats with a staggering 585 pounds (265 kg) on the barbell11. Two issues that stem from the use of the barbell: firstly, the barbell is not placed in a position for maximum leverage and effort from the muscles. This subsequently affects the overall benefits that can be derived. Secondly, placement across the shoulder girdle (collar and scapula bones) makes it conducive for structural injury."

I love the Front Squat as I always felt it had more 'carryover' for most athletic activities but ...............

http://www.ironmanmag.com.au/profiles/profiles/870-ronnie-colemans-injuries-nwas-it-all-worth-it

Who are you calling bilateral? I'm just curious...

Compare Vinnie Taylor at 60.

ad31f9880b6db1a2995aeed30c8648af.jpg

@Fadi; you're a person who Front Squats at an elite level.
Front squatted at an elite level yes Sir.

I'd be interested to hear your views on the safety of the Front Squat please. From the article:

With all due respect to Mr. Darren Vartikian--(our own former IFBB Mr. Australia), and the author of the book entitled: The Biomechanically Correct Training System - The Thinking Person's Guide to Unilateral Resistance Training..., I politely disagree. I don't disagree for the sake of disagreeing, but I do so based on what I believe is a less than a genuine effort on Mr. Vartikian to be fully balanced in his findings, which are perhaps selective in nature.

I fully understand that the man wants us to change our way of thinking from bilateral focused training, and into more of a unilateral type of training—training one arm or leg at a time with a dumbbell, kettlebell, or machine—will see to it that we would achieve our ultimate sporting goal...safely! No wonder he's lavishing in the misfortunes of Ronnie's injuries, blaming the former champion's style of (wait for it!!)...that evil bilateral style of training. I can go on and on here, but my 2 and half year old daughter (from her bilateral squatting position) has just told me to disregard the man's BMC Training System..., she's not just cute, but she's the untainted expert in natural physical movements in our home...I listen!

I'm not saying there's no room for unilateral training here, we all do do it....Big Ronnie did it! What exactly is it then? It's simply single-limb training! It's dumbbell curls; d/bell side laterals, d/bell shoulder press, d/bell bench press, d/bell step ups, d/bell......you get the picture. Reading that ultra biased article; biased towards his Biomechanically Correct (BMC) Training System I found to be disingenuous and therefore offensive.

So Mr. Vartikian wishes to rubbish my favourite exercise of all time yeh...the mighty front squat?! With a name that ends with ian, I take it Mr. Vartikian's background is from Armenia. The man you see on the left in my avatar is none other than one of the legends of the sport of Olympic weightlifting; Yuri Vardanian. Began training at the age of 14, and retired at the age of 29, with 41 world records to his name. My point? The man front squatted much more frequently than Ronnie could have ever dreamt of front squatting, and now at the age of 60, is as healthy as can be. Why didn't all these weightlifting bilateral exercises such as the front squat, the back squat, the clean and snatch pull, the jerks over head, the the the...., why isn't the man even remotely crippled as we see our own hero Ronnie is in a way? Surely we can't be so ignorant as to just blame these so called bilateral movements Ronnie did day in and day out right? After all, it was Ronnie and not Yuri Vardanian who actually did make full usage of unilateral exercises, the famous one being "nothing but a peanut". Referring to some huge d/bells....d/bells fall into the category of unilateral MR. Vartikian! So please stop rubbishing what our Ronnie did, and go find the real cause of his crippling injuries, because as things stand right now, I myself should be a crippled based on my front squatting...., which incidentally I'm still doing approaching 51.

"Inappropriate exercises; In his training DVD The Unbelievable, Ronnie carries out front squats with a staggering 585 pounds (265 kg) on the barbell11.
Again, not honest and out with a preconceived agenda. There is nothing so "staggering" about a 265kg front squat when you weigh around 140kg. It might be staggering for me, weighing 75kg, but for Ronnie (!), please refrain from dramatising what is quite normal Mr. Vartikian.

Two issues that stem from the use of the barbell: firstly, the barbell is not placed in a position for maximum leverage and effort from the muscles.
Really! And since when did that cause injury? Here: Strength wars puts 66kg calisthenics athlete matthias against 75kg powerbuilder koray, I responded to a post that was put up by our admin Graeme.
...the key to my strength increases came through the decrease of my bodyweight leverage. In other words, gymnasts decrease leverage to increase strength. Strength through lifting weights comes through increasing the weight and/or other factors such as reps and sets that relay to the intensity of the overall lift.

Jordan_jovchev[1].jpg

Above is one of my favourite gymnasts of all time, Yordan Yovchev of Bulgaria. The oldest gymnast ever to compete at the age of 39 at his 6th Olympic games in London 2012. Someone forgot to tell him about the leverage (or lack thereof), and that his shoulder joints would be utterly ruined due to all this ring work he had excelled at during his gymnastics career.

This subsequently affects the overall benefits that can be derived. Secondly, placement across the shoulder girdle (collar and scapula bones) makes it conducive for structural injury."
Not true at all, and please do not mix two unrelated issues here. On the one hand the reader is thinking you are talking about Ronnie's way of performing a particular exercise, yet on the other hand, you go on to attack the exercise itself, failing miserably to indicate that the way Ronnie was performing the actual exercise (the front squat) and not the front squat itself (as performed correctly by thousands of Olympic weightlifters world-wide) is the culprit in your presented scenario. I shall clarify my stance here...

The front squat, when performed correctly, with elbows kept as high as possible throughout the movement, would in fact serve to help prevent kyphosis in the thoracic spine. A thoracic extension of the spine is insured by the upper back muscles when the elbows are kept high during the front squat. That's called healthy. If bodybuilders have taken it upon themselves to use (or abuse rather) one of the Olympic weightlifters' top exercises, (the front squat), then it's really unfair to blame the front squat rather than its lifter. Weightlifters do not crossover their arms in order to hold the bar high up on their clavicle bone and front deltoid muscles; bodybuilders (more often than not) do. Ronnie did; blame Ronnie and not the innocent front squat thank you!

lu-xiaojun-front-squat[1].jpg

flexion-extension-and-neutral-spine[1].jpg

There's no "but" for me here Sir. If you do not believe in a particular exercise or movement, then I'd suggest you drop it from your list of exercises. An example here (for me) would be the clean. It's one movement I'd never do again, because it's at the heart and soul of what makes the sport of Olympic weightlifting one of (if not) the most dangerous sports around. And since I am no longer a weightlifter, and hence I do not have to do it, I simply don't. But the front squat? Well, that's a different animal altogether, and a close pet of mine!

Last edited:
An interesting point came to mind between 2:20 and 2:25, when Ronnie was talking about his 3 meals..., insuring to remind us that as we all know, he eats more than three times a day, so he does have extra food brought in etc. The point is this: when he was training and taking testosterone, it would not have mattered much whether he ate more than three times a day or not. However now that he's a) not taking, and b) recovering, it would be wise not to eat more than three times a day and sometimes less would even be better. I know what some may be thinking. If one is recovering, surely he needs all the food he can get right? No, that's not right. The more frequently you eat, the less testosterone your body makes, hence it would not have mattered before when he was using.

So what's in it for us? We've all been brain washed into believing that the more we eat the bigger we can potentially get etc. But when all is said and done, what matters most is whether you've allowed your body to create an anabolic environment for you or not. Fasting now and then (if you didn't know) is one of the best way to boost your testosterone levels. Hence if those Muslims bodybuilders knew, they'd be less worried and more excited when the month of fasting (Ramadan) rolls up. Thought I'd share with you what came to my mind when I was watching some of Ronnie's video clip.

Late edit: I know most if not all of us (I was certainly one) who was unhappy/began to stress over missing a meal or not eating right on time and hearing my stomach rumbling due to being hungry. My message to you is stress no more, and rest assured that being or feeling hungry or missing a meal is not the end of the world, and it may in fact do you a world of good, on many levels.

Snacks during the day and setting up that alarm clock during the night in order to eat every so many hours is not something that I believe is necessary to do to achieve the muscle mass that you're after (if that's what your ultimate goal is), or to stop your body from losing muscle mass by going into a catabolic state. It won't happen, as that's not how our body was design to work.

Don't take my word for it, or wait for some study to make you believe what I'm saying here. Just ask yourself this question: does your body gain weight every time you eat a meal, or lose weight every time you miss one? The answer is an obvious no, because our bodies do not change from meal to meal, but change over time according to what we're doing on a constant basis...., that is why when you place your body in a caloric deficit, be it through extra training, less eating, or bit of both, a change ultimately occurs. From meal to meal? I don't think so!

Last edited:
He paid the price pure and simple.
Did he lifted heavy weight? that's fine
did he protect his joints? No he didn't
was he kamakasi on chemical restoratives, hell yes.
was he stupid?
yes.

as stated so often, these dudes got big in spite of what they did.

its going to to take a long time for young kids to understand this, which is sad.