• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
It has nothing to do with what the fans demand or what the judges reward. Weider along with others has dictated what gets promoted in the media and people respond to that. The judges make their decisions based on this. It has been mainly driven by commercial interests. Sponsors also want to have the biggest competitors attached to their brand because hey - it can do the same for you. What we have seen is a natural evolution of the sport, bigger better, stronger. Now that public opinion is changing you are seeing a response to that in the form of the classic division. The sport/Weider will do what it has to to stay as relevant as possible and be as profitable as possible.

Let me clarify - what the fans want does have a significant influence, however massive competitors have not come about in response to that. The demand has been created by the powers that be within the sport and vested commercial interests, and the public response to that has seen it perpetuate. Contrastingly, it's possible that the public demand (which has been contributed to by people like Arnie, and if you don't think he is getting a piece you're deluding yourself) has seen the creation of, for example, the classic physique division.

Equally as likely is that the publicity and demand which has been created for this division is a deliberate commercial move to create a sustainable new division which will spawn a whole new swathe of high profile athletes which kids will look up to, and will appear to be much more attainable to the uninformed, equaling megabux.

If it was actually about athletes health we would be seeing INBA physiques on the Olympia stage, and let's face it, no one is interested in that. Will Classic division athletes be any healthier? Maybe marginally. You probably won't see many of them doing 800lb Ronnie squats so they might not have hte same levels of deterioration and associated health issues as some ex top tier competitors. Let's not forget, even Arnie (who only used a little test and good ol' d-bol nudge, nudge) has had a couple of bypass surgeries. Maybe some will require a slightly less broad range of PEDs to get there (but maybe not).

How long will it be until the health and good living of the athletes in the Classic division becomes an emphasis? Not long I bet, there's good money to be made. It will be just as fictional then as the portrayal of the current pros maybe using a little gear is now.

Last edited:
I dont think anyone claims to be natty coz the never failed a drug test in a non tested federation, they just dont talk about it but they certainly dont claom to be natty, if they get asked they start talking about diet, training, genetics, suppliments, but never mention drugs and never mention they are natty.....

I dont think anyone claims to be natty coz the never failed a drug test in a non tested federation, they just dont talk about it but they certainly dont claom to be natty, if they get asked they start talking about diet, training, genetics, suppliments, but never mention drugs and never mention they are natty.....

Exactly mate. It'd be bad business, so it's only natural (pun intended).

Doug Miller and Layne Norton to name the tip of the iceberg.

It has nothing to do with what the fans demand or what the judges reward. Weider along with others has dictated what gets promoted in the media and people respond to that. The judges make their decisions based on this. It has been mainly driven by commercial interests. Sponsors also want to have the biggest competitors attached to their brand because hey - it can do the same for you. What we have seen is a natural evolution of the sport, bigger better, stronger. Now that public opinion is changing you are seeing a response to that in the form of the classic division. The sport/Weider will do what it has to to stay as relevant as possible and be as profitable as possible.

Shirley you can't be serious

this is so it it scares me

Im talking top class IFBB athletes, not these wanna be "big" boys who like being interwebz big boys competing in basically unknown fedz

Last edited:
Equally as likely is that the publicity and demand which has been created for this division is a deliberate commercial move to create a sustainable new division which will spawn a whole new swathe of high profile athletes which kids will look up to, and will appear to be much more attainable to the uninformed, equaling megabux.

That's true. Everything in the modern age is about being hyper, turbo, xtreme (with no e), supercharged and even the phrase "on steroids". It's only logical this would leak into bodybuilding. They explain it well in the documentary Bigger Faster Stronger*.

I'm all for national/international athletes taking steroids responsibly. What do I mean by that? Just as we have a culture that accepts drinking responsibly, in that same light, top athletes ought to be afforded the best medicine has to offer on the way to reaching their sporting goal. If you disagree with my view, and you're not happy with the current state we find national/international sport in, I'd be very interested to read what you have to offer in the way of hitting two birds with one stone, i.e. looking after the top athlete's health, whilst simultaneously assisting him in getting the best out of his genetic potential. Thank you.

Last edited:
Fadi, good point.

I also argued in an academic article that key public policy goal for drugs in sport was to minimizes side effects through education. I argued this because the overwhelming majority of drug users will never be subject to testing as they are not elite athletes.

As for a desirable low level of assistance, it is a possibility. Most recently it was announced that transexuals could compete as women, but must have a testosterone level of below 10nmol for the previous 12 months.

I think this model would still have problems given potential for abuse, whether for males or females, but the debate can and does shift.