• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I reckon it's pretty spot on, especially when you read the categories/descriptions down the bottom.
I fall in to intermediate/advanced for most and it says:
Intermediate - Stronger than 50% of lifters. An intermediate lifter has trained regularly in the technique for at least two years.
Advanced - Stronger than 80% of lifters. An advanced lifter has progressed for over five years.

That's accurate as to how long I've been training but I'm not sure on the "Stronger than X% of lifters", I mean how long do you have to be training to be classed as a "lifter". If you've been training for 2-3 years then you'll probably be lifting close to the intermediate range so how can you be stronger than 50% of other lifters?

I think training age is different to how long you have been training for. Someone could be training for 10 years but spinning the wheels for most of it, so they are still technically a beginner. Like I have been going to the gym for almost 10 but only last 3 years I've stuck to a program and actually made progress.

And totally, by %lifters you got to look outside of the Jetts and Anytime population thats for sure.

Also, those figures don't take into account drug use. Too many variables to say "this is where you should be after x years".

Also, those figures don't take into account drug use. Too many variables to say "this is where you should be after x years".

That's because it's not point of these things anyway. People like to have targets which they can compair their progress.

In anycase I think the advanced and elite are too low.

The hobbyist shouldn't be chasing 1rm's but I digress.

all in all its good to haves goals and the numbers can be used as bench marks for sure.

It's significant that these come from the first edition of Starting Strength, and they were omitted from later versions. They were a guide only, but people took them as gospel, or used them as an excuse for the humblebrag, "oh but I am elite on these but I'm not that strong."

More useful is looking at drug-tested raw world records. For example, here are the women's, and here the men's. Notice also there are age-matched records, with Masters 1 being in your 40s, and so on. My standards would then be a fraction of these world records
25% = minimum required for a decent quality of life and social-level sports
50% = good quality of life with spare muscle mass aside in case of illness or injury, and recreational sports requiring a lot of strength, such as climbing or rugby.
75% = around what you need to compete nationally in a truly strength sport such as powerlifting, weightlifting, throwing, etc.
and after that would just be pure barbell sports in most cases.

For example, a guy around 5'10" and 85kg or so, the squat world record is 303kg. If he's 30yo and previously sedentary, he'll probably start with about a 40kg squat. Most of us can agree that 13% of a world record isn't really enough to do anything. He gets up to 75-95, that's in the range of his current bodyweight, or his bodyweight after some months of running, or some months of lifting and bulking. And that's going to make the guy's day-to-day life a lot better, plus now he can play lunchtime soccer with less worry about popping a knee. He doesn't need to squat 180kg for his health.

50% is 150kg, in getting there he'll have built muscle mass so that even if gets sick or stops lifting for a bit, he can come back to it and he's not a complete newbie. And if he plays in any any social sport, and in some state level sports like volleyball, he'll be the strongest guy on the team.

75% is 227kg, and this is where he can start competing in barbell sports nationally, in powerlifting certainly, and maybe weightlifting if he's been doing the quick lifts at all. 75% of the WR total is 635kg. The drug-tested Powerlifting Australia record for the 93s is 727.5, which is 86% the world record, and the last-placed of 7 guys in the 93s at PA raw nats last year got 617.5, the winner 707.5. As for the untested GPC, currently they have 15 spots open for the men's 90s, and the 15th guy has 625, the 1st guy 787.5. So like I said, 75% of the world record is what you want to compete nationally in a barbell sport. It's also the sort of lifts you get from nationally-competitive throwers.

In other words it's like Dave Tate's informal standards, "shit, suck, good, great." 0-25%, 25-50%, 50-75%, and 75+%.

As for how long, well last night I was on the phone to a former client. He told me his lifts, and asked if that was where I thought he should be by now. I said, it depends. Time is less important than how many workouts you've done and how much you've pushed - and you may or may not be able to push hard. Do you work out twice a week or six times? Do you have a programme or do you "go by feel"? Are you 17 years old and still living at home while mum irons your undies, or are you 40yo doing occasional night shifts and with 3 kids? And so on.

I also see powerlifting competitions, and what I see is that over the years in each weight class you have one or two names that are always there, and then a bunch of others that are different every year. Again quoting Tate, if you have a crew of lifters, most will do one competition and then never anything again, and in two years if there is one other person on the crew with you that whole time, you are doing very well. Ten years? That's rare stuff. And it's the same in weightlifting. So this is where the standards are relevant, too - getting 25% WR doesn't take much out of you, hell some people can do it on day one in the gym, they're just big guys. 50% usually takes a solid effort over months or a year or so, and you do have to work hard to maintain it. 75% takes serious dedication and probably years of lifting, and not many people are willing and able to keep it up for long. 75+% is rare stuff indeed.

So I think broadly in terms of those standards, but when it comes to people I train, I just look for progress. On the one hand you have lots of guys going to the gym for years and just spinning their wheels. On the other you have 35 year old guys who try to do the Texas Method, you look at their logs and 12 months on their lifts are unchanged - rarely, they got injured, more commonly, they burned out. So I usually recommend a middle path, where you have easy, medium and hard fortnights, and then once or twice a year going really hard, and once or twice a year taking a break and maybe doing something else. Because I think nothing is as important as that you keep lifting. So I look for progress you can sustain.

Thanks. It has the added benefit of, well maybe some age, gender or weight classes have not enough people in them, so the records are low, and you get 120% in 6 months. So you go to a meet and set a new world record. "Standards? I am the standard!"