• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Just thinking about T-dog (tilt) and his fall.

Is it worth taking risks when working out?

why do we workout?

As an example.
we know that the squat is a productive exercise but carries a risk of injury as opposed to a leg extension.

ill just leave it there, what's your thoughts on the telephone at the mo, I'd. Like to get stuck into this more tonight.

Some exercises are riskier than others, bit if you are pushing yourself physically there is an inherent risk regardless of the movement. Probably more so with free weights than machines because there is more scope for movement.

I pushed myself through squatting more than I should have the other day, then I couldn't train the next day after because my body was fatigued too much. Felt bad. Personally I think its better to dial it back a tad and be able to train for longer rather than going balls to the wall and facing injury.

Some would argue that the leg extension is a more dangerous exercise than the squat, due to how easily it is to put the leg into an unnatural range of motion.

You need to assses the risk to benefit ratio.
Then you'll find some exercises are not worth it.

Is it worth taking risks when working out?
No it's not, but that is not something you can dissuade a young man from pursuing, and an older man from assisting him in getting there (possibly projecting his own self into the young man's future achievements).
why do we workout?
It depends what you mean by "workout". If working out to ultimately compete against others, the answer would be to prove who's better and in the process feeding one's ego. If one works out for strictly personal reasons, without the need to prove a b or c to another, then that would fall under self improvement without the need to prove a point to another, and hence would be devoid from feeding the ego. Feeding of the ego in this context should not be viewed as a negative trait but rather a means to an end.

As an example.
we know that the squat is a productive exercise but carries a risk of injury as opposed to a leg extension.
That is not necessarily so, as the leg extension exercise done wrong (as is the case in 99.9% of the time), carries with it a devastating prospect for knee injury. This occurs once the lower leg travels back (an inch even) beyond a 90 degree angle from the torso.

SCAN1106.jpg

As you can see from the above image, the knee is already placed slightly back, in a very weak and vulnerable position, placing great shear forces on the knee joint. By extending the knee from that position, the lifter has in turned made a knee rehabilitation exercise become one of injury causing. As for real life practicality (carry over benefits if you like), this is only manifested when it comes to kicking movements in martial arts, as the video below help demonstrates. Fast forward to 0:35 seconds if you can't be bothered watching the whole clip.

I'm saying all the above in the light of having participated in the most dangerous iron sport of them all: Olympic weightlifting. I do not see any danger with the squat movement, but see plenty when that same movement is done in a very dynamic and explosive manner as is the case with weightlifting when the weight is being received in a very low (vulnerable knee) position.

Full Risk assessments really should be done prior each exercise taking place to mitigate as much as possible any chance of injury whilst working out.

That's what it boils down to.

For a body builder; there is so much written about how to build muscle and while the "crossfit" type workouts do improve strength and fitness the cost can be great.

For sport;

The Essendon FC supplement scandal really got me thinking about it all;

One of the first things he introduced was a grapple wrestling program, using Melbourne Storm's wrestling coaches, John Donehue and Chris Brown.
The aim was to improve tackling and evasive skills while improving players' strength.
"In the contested situation, you have to be able to control your body ... to control your space to get the ball and effectively tackle the person."

I reckon this was and other practices of his was the criminal act and not the stupid supplements used and the time frame given for Robinson was absolute idiotic, building strength takes time and there was NO duty of care given.

In relation to the squat v extension option (it's but one example of risk/benefit) if one wanted to improve the strength and flexibility of the muscles around the knee and lower back with one requiring quite a lot of skill and supervision as opposed to the opposite, the extension could/should be considered as a better option?

I love the squat, it has been my fave exercise for the last 30+ years, but i think for me personally because i was unable to go full squat ATG, arse touching calves it had created (overtime) some joint instability issues.

For this reason I stopped conventional deadlifting.
The risk of injury far outweighs the benefits for me at this time. I can get what I need from Stiffies, rows, and hypers.

That is not necessarily so, as the leg extension exercise done wrong (as is the case in 99.9% of the time), carries with it a devastating prospect for knee injury. This occurs once the lower leg travels back (an inch even) beyond a 90 degree angle from the torso.

SCAN1106.jpg

As you can see from the above image, the knee is already placed slightly back, in a very weak and vulnerable position, placing great shear forces on the knee joint. By extending the knee from that position, the lifter has in turned made a knee rehabilitation exercise become one of injury causing. As for real life practicality (carry over benefits if you like), this is only manifested when it comes to kicking movements in martial arts, as the video below help demonstrates. Fast forward to 0:35 seconds if you can't be bothered watching the whole clip.

I'm saying all the above in the light of having participated in the most dangerous iron sport of them all: Olympic weightlifting. I do not see any danger with the squat movement, but see plenty when that same movement is done in a very dynamic and explosive manner as is the case with weightlifting when the weight is being received in a very low (vulnerable knee) position.

OK can you explain when does lower leg travels back beyond a 90 degree angle from the torso. The starting position looks as if the lower leg is parallel to the torso? Or do you mean at the finish position, which basically means to do the extension safely one must not lock out the knees... is that it?

I have also been told by a PT to do them with knees externally rotated slightly, don't squeeze at the top and supplement them with banded terminal knee extensions.

I love the squat, it has been my fave exercise for the last 30+ years, but i think for me personally because i was unable to go full squat ATG, arse touching calves it had created (overtime) some joint instability issues.
Why you cannot do full ass to grass squat, what about bodyweight squats can you drop all the way down? Does it have to do with leverage I wonder, like you have super long femurs coupled with t-rex lower legs or something..

For this reason I stopped conventional deadlifting.
The risk of injury far outweighs the benefits for me at this time. I can get what I need from Stiffies, rows, and hypers.

You can't do conventional but can do stiffies.. lol the heck? How about sumos can you do them??

Why you cannot do full ass to grass squat, what about bodyweight squats can you drop all the way down? Does it have to do with leverage I wonder, like you have super long femurs coupled with t-rex lower legs or something..

Body weight is no probs.

yes, I have a short torso, and long legs, and a small butt.

not a natural squatter.

OK can you explain when does lower leg travels back beyond a 90 degree angle from the torso. The starting position looks as if the lower leg is parallel to the torso? Or do you mean at the finish position, which basically means to do the extension safely one must not lock out the knees... is that it?
Sorry, I meant to say femur (as in your upper leg) instead of saying the torso.

I have the fear using gymnastic rings to do dips/pullups etc. If one of the buckles comes loose, it was nice knowing all of you