• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Wide is better but stil awkward, never liked it , especially when there are plenty of other exercises to build the shoulders in a safer manner

Do em with db's?
I've recently started doing them again (with a bb), fairly light with a narrow grip and only go to the nips

Do em with db's?
I've recently started doing them again (with a bb), fairly light with a narrow grip and only go to the nips

Fairly light, what does that actually mean.

please elucidate

shoulders are tricky more often than not the (in the over head direction) there ain't much freedom of movement and eventually shit happens in a bad way.

Why so many repetitions?
Because I just use that movement late in my session to get blood in to the muscle. Ill usually do heavy OHP (3-5 reps x 5 sets), lighter db press (6-10 reps x 3-4 sets), a db raise variation of some sort (8-12 reps x 3 sets) then upright rows (15-20 x 2 sets).

Because I just use that movement late in my session to get blood in to the muscle. Ill usually do heavy OHP (3-5 reps x 5 sets), lighter db press (6-10 reps x 3-4 sets), a db raise variation of some sort (8-12 reps x 3 sets) then upright rows (15-20 x 2 sets).
Isn't there're already blood from all the other sets and reps?

I love the pump. Its like I'm cumming....

There will be a fair bit of blood in there already Shreko but I like to force as much in as I can right at the end of the workout

Upright Rows??
Yes or no?
Why?
Why not?

Yes.

Because they are very effective in stimulating not just the whole deltoid area, but also the upper traps as seen from the front.

Why not? This would only be applicable if I was to do them by themselves as opposed to being part of a giant set comprised of other shoulder exercises. Why is that? Because I find this particular exercise has a high injury risk unless the shoulders joints have been thoroughly warmed up. However that reason is not enough, as to perform this exercise by itself (in my opinion) would eventually increase the risk of an injury due to either the heavy weight that must be used or the high reps that (must also) be used, if one was to get something out of it. Hence I came up with a sure fire (alternative) way to take full advantage of such an exercise; minimising on its potential hazard of risking an injury, whilst maximising on its full potential to stimulate as much muscles in the shoulder area as possible. Here's the routine I came up with.

1. Wide grip upright rowing
2. Behind neck press
3. Military press

frontpress[1].jpg
uprightrows[1].jpg
backpress[1].jpg

Optional: Descending sets side laterals finish off the above and put some icing on the cake.

side lat[1].jpg

All the above is classified as one set. Now to the procedure.

The first 3 exercises are done for 10 reps each with the same bar in a non stop fashion. I suggest you grab the 20kg Olympic weightlifting bar or lighter and start from there. Okay, to some of you who are strong in the shoulder department, for you I suggest you load the bar with 30-40kg. To the really strong, go ahead and load it up with 50 kg. Please make sure your shoulder joints are warmed up well before starting this program.

We need to do 3 sets, with each set beginning with a different exercise.

Example:

1. Wide grip upright rows x10
2. B/neck b/bell press x10
3. Military press x10

Rest for about 1 minute.

1. B/neck press x10
2. Wide grip upright rows x10
3. Military press x10

Rest 1 minute.

1. Military press x10
2. Upright rows x10
3. B/neck b/bell press x10

What I've done here with this program is I made sure that it's 100% muscle stimulation and near zero joint stress dominant, and of course 0% ego!

There are three levels of intensities attached with this program and they are as follows:

Level 1:
Perform the 3 compound exercises with 1 minute break between each set (set of 30 reps [3x10])

Level 2:
Perform as above but add one set of 10-15 reps of d/bell side laterals at the end to fry the side delts and insure two rock melons are being planted there!

Level 3:
Perform as in level 1 but add the side laterals for 3 sets done in down the rack style. So here I'm looking at the hard-core lifter to give me no less than 60 reps+, all up from start to finish. Yes it's a humbling experience but since time is there to be used instead of being abused, I insist on filling it by taking advantage of every second of it.

Do the above twice a week, (say) on a Monday and a Friday. Your Monday workout should be awesome due to the full glycogen load in your muscles from the weekend’s eating.

I guarantee you visual results you yourself can verify looking in the mirror within just a one month period.

Hey Adrian, you're welcome to delete the above if you think it's a hijacking of your thread mate. Thank you.

Last edited:
That side lateral diagram is all wrong, you would not do it that way
You want to have the elbows in a bent position throughout the movement and lead with the elbows, not the hands.
Search for how Larry Scott does them