• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
That side lateral diagram is all wrong, you would not do it that way
You want to have the elbows in a bent position throughout the movement and lead with the elbows, not the hands.
Search for how Larry Scott does them
Thank you sir, you're 100% correct. I shall edit as necessary.

Yes.

Because they are very effective in stimulating not just the whole deltoid area, but also the upper traps as seen from the front.

Why not? This would only be applicable if I was to do them by themselves as opposed to being part of a giant set comprised of other shoulder exercises. Why is that? Because I find this particular exercise has a high injury risk unless the shoulders joints have been thoroughly warmed up. However that reason is not enough, as to perform this exercise by itself (in my opinion) would eventually increase the risk of an injury due to either the heavy weight that must be used or the high reps that (must also) be used, if one was to get something out of it. Hence I came up with a sure fire (alternative) way to take full advantage of such an exercise; minimising on its potential hazard of risking an injury, whilst maximising on its full potential to stimulate as much muscles in the shoulder area as possible. Here's the routine I came up with.

1. Wide grip upright rowing
2. Behind neck press
3. Military press

View attachment 11741
View attachment 11742
View attachment 11743

Optional: Descending sets side laterals finish off the above and put some icing on the cake.

View attachment 11745

All the above is classified as one set. Now to the procedure.

The first 3 exercises are done for 10 reps each with the same bar in a non stop fashion. I suggest you grab the 20kg Olympic weightlifting bar or lighter and start from there. Okay, to some of you who are strong in the shoulder department, for you I suggest you load the bar with 30-40kg. To the really strong, go ahead and load it up with 50 kg. Please make sure your shoulder joints are warmed up well before starting this program.

We need to do 3 sets, with each set beginning with a different exercise.

Example:

1. Wide grip upright rows x10
2. B/neck b/bell press x10
3. Military press x10

Rest for about 1 minute.

1. B/neck press x10
2. Wide grip upright rows x10
3. Military press x10

Rest 1 minute.

1. Military press x10
2. Upright rows x10
3. B/neck b/bell press x10

What I've done here with this program is I made sure that it's 100% muscle stimulation and near zero joint stress dominant, and of course 0% ego!

There are three levels of intensities attached with this program and they are as follows:

Level 1:
Perform the 3 compound exercises with 1 minute break between each set (set of 30 reps [3x10])

Level 2:
Perform as above but add one set of 10-15 reps of d/bell side laterals at the end to fry the side delts and insure two rock melons are being planted there!

Level 3:
Perform as in level 1 but add the side laterals for 3 sets done in down the rack style. So here I'm looking at the hard-core lifter to give me no less than 60 reps+, all up from start to finish. Yes it's a humbling experience but since time is there to be used instead of being abused, I insist on filling it by taking advantage of every second of it.

Do the above twice a week, (say) on a Monday and a Friday. Your Monday workout should be awesome due to the full glycogen load in your muscles from the weekend’s eating.

I guarantee you visual results you yourself can verify looking in the mirror within just a one month period.

Hey Adrian, you're welcome to delete the above if you think it's a hijacking of your thread mate. Thank you.

I like the idea behind the order of the exercises.

Used to do them all the time, and didn't get any pain or impingement issues. But that doesn't mean they don't impinge your shoulder. I stopped doing them now instead of waiting for an injury to stop doing them.

Ehh imo nothing beats cable rows. use to do loads of surf boat rowing so maxing the cable row out for a big set was the norm. paid off good too, won a heap of comps.

One of the few exercises involving shoulders I can actually still go heavy on for reps (heavy to me is 65kg + a Z bar).

Seated shoulder press strength has come way way down after my neck injury this time last year.. Actually, all my lifts have come down.

I stopped doing them because of all the negative reports on their propensity to cause injury. I really like that high volume write up from [MENTION=2727]Fadi[/MENTION] and I'm going to include it on my low weight/high rep shoulder days

Ok so I didn't have time to do [MENTION=2727]Fadi[/MENTION]'s monster delt workout yesterday but I do have a question on lateral deltoids

When you guys do lateral raise do you cock your elbows slightly to slightly improve leverage and increase the amount of weight you can lift or do you leave your arms completely straight as to increase the time under tension but at a lighter weight?

For me I use the different actions varied by my might or heavy days On heavy days I keep my elbows fairly bent to focus on being able to move as much weight as possible. My form looks like this

DBLateral_Raise2.gif

On light days I keep my arms completely straight which focuses more on time under tension (only use 12kg dbs) and getting a burn through high volume.

Thoughts?

Ok so I didn't have time to do @Fadi's monster delt workout yesterday but I do have a question on lateral deltoids

When you guys do lateral raise do you cock your elbows slightly to slightly improve leverage and increase the amount of weight you can lift or do you leave your arms completely straight as to increase the time under tension but at a lighter weight?

For me I use the different actions varied by my might or heavy days On heavy days I keep my elbows fairly bent to focus on being able to move as much weight as possible. My form looks like this

DBLateral_Raise2.gif

On light days I keep my arms completely straight which focuses more on time under tension (only use 12kg dbs) and getting a burn through high volume.

Thoughts?
In all my years of training, I never did them with straight arms, and never as "clean" as in that image you've put up. For me, d/bell side delts action is synonymous with this type of action; built for pumping:

G__1269_Remington870_side_720[1].jpg

That is why ascending and descending sets suite this muscle to a T, in addition to what I've put up of course, i.e. the giant set. Now usually I would say that the key element in hypertrophy training is the cumulative effect of exhaustion in the total number of sets and not just exhaustion per a set; I tend to bend the rule when it comes to the shoulder area, hence I found that 30 rep giant set so damn effective in not only stimulating the muscle fibers in the shoulder area, but you actually see results yourself, without having to wait for someone who hasn't seen you (say) for a month to remark on your new added size.

People who inject steroids, have a choice injecting between either the gluteal muscle or the side deltoid muscle. If the dosage is not high, the preference (if the person knows what he's doing) is always the side deltoid. The reason? Tremendous blood circulation, as well as much less fat accumulation in that area.

You mentioned straight arms when going light for added time under tension. I say screw time under tension and just pump the hell out of your delts, with medium to light weights, as positioning your arms to the sides, really works well in isolating such a muscle, making it a must to reduce the weight and lessen the stress on your very vulnerable joint socket. Unlike (say) military press, here it's pure delts working their ass off to lift those d/bells against gravity. By the way, my kind of time under tension is a bit controversial, as I do not believe in it in its strictest sense of the word. That is to say, I don't buy into time cadence or whatever people talk about when introducing the time factor and the speed in which the weight is lifted. For me, time under tension equals the cumulative effect one arrives at once total volume of work has been done. My two cents.

Last edited:
Yes.

Because they are very effective in stimulating not just the whole deltoid area, but also the upper traps as seen from the front.

Why not? This would only be applicable if I was to do them by themselves as opposed to being part of a giant set comprised of other shoulder exercises. Why is that? Because I find this particular exercise has a high injury risk unless the shoulders joints have been thoroughly warmed up. However that reason is not enough, as to perform this exercise by itself (in my opinion) would eventually increase the risk of an injury due to either the heavy weight that must be used or the high reps that (must also) be used, if one was to get something out of it. Hence I came up with a sure fire (alternative) way to take full advantage of such an exercise; minimising on its potential hazard of risking an injury, whilst maximising on its full potential to stimulate as much muscles in the shoulder area as possible. Here's the routine I came up with.

1. Wide grip upright rowing
2. Behind neck press
3. Military press

View attachment 11741
View attachment 11742
View attachment 11743

Optional: Descending sets side laterals finish off the above and put some icing on the cake.

View attachment 11745

All the above is classified as one set. Now to the procedure.

The first 3 exercises are done for 10 reps each with the same bar in a non stop fashion. I suggest you grab the 20kg Olympic weightlifting bar or lighter and start from there. Okay, to some of you who are strong in the shoulder department, for you I suggest you load the bar with 30-40kg. To the really strong, go ahead and load it up with 50 kg. Please make sure your shoulder joints are warmed up well before starting this program.

We need to do 3 sets, with each set beginning with a different exercise.

Example:

1. Wide grip upright rows x10
2. B/neck b/bell press x10
3. Military press x10

Rest for about 1 minute.

1. B/neck press x10
2. Wide grip upright rows x10
3. Military press x10

Rest 1 minute.

1. Military press x10
2. Upright rows x10
3. B/neck b/bell press x10

What I've done here with this program is I made sure that it's 100% muscle stimulation and near zero joint stress dominant, and of course 0% ego!

There are three levels of intensities attached with this program and they are as follows:

Level 1:
Perform the 3 compound exercises with 1 minute break between each set (set of 30 reps [3x10])

Level 2:
Perform as above but add one set of 10-15 reps of d/bell side laterals at the end to fry the side delts and insure two rock melons are being planted there!

Level 3:
Perform as in level 1 but add the side laterals for 3 sets done in down the rack style. So here I'm looking at the hard-core lifter to give me no less than 60 reps+, all up from start to finish. Yes it's a humbling experience but since time is there to be used instead of being abused, I insist on filling it by taking advantage of every second of it.

Do the above twice a week, (say) on a Monday and a Friday. Your Monday workout should be awesome due to the full glycogen load in your muscles from the weekend’s eating.

I guarantee you visual results you yourself can verify looking in the mirror within just a one month period.

Hey Adrian, you're welcome to delete the above if you think it's a hijacking of your thread mate. Thank you.
Spoiler: 
27th February Light Weight/High Rep Push Workout 88.0kg

Seated Barbell Press 50kg 8,6,5
Narrow Grip Tricep Dips 10,8,8
Barbell Bench Press 70kg 8,6,5

@Fadi's Deltoid Routine

Super Set
Barbell Upright Row 20kg 10
Barbell Behind Neck Press 20kg 10
Barbell Military Press 20kg 6
Dumbbell Lateral Raise 6kg each 6

Super Set
Barbell Behind Neck Press 20kg 10
Barbell Upright Row 20kg 6
Dumbbell Lateral Raise 6kg each 5

Super Set
Barbell Military Press 20kg 10
Dumbbell Lateral Raise 6kg each 6

Cable Tricep Pushdown 42kg 8,6,5
Cable Cross Overs 15kg each 12,6,6

Work's been a fucking nightmare, been pulling some massive hours as well as having 6 days overseas with flights at all hours. Still look and feel in pretty good shape though, so no damage done.

19th March Light Weight/High Rep Push Workout

Decline Barbell Bench Press 90kg 8,6,5
Narrow Grip Tricep Dips 8,6,6
Incline Barbell Bench Press 60kg 5 50kg 8,6
Cable Tricep Pushdown 42kg 8,6,5

Modified Fadi Deltoid Routine

Super Set
Dumbbell Lateral Raise 6kg each 10

Super Set
Dumbbell Lateral Raise 6kg each 7

Super Set
Barbell Military Press 20kg 7
Dumbbell Lateral Raise 6kg each 7
Given this a go a couple of times (deets in the spoiler) but slightly modified, I've had to slightly reduce the volume in order to get through the workout with the 20kg barbell. Nevertheless when I did it on Saturday my shoulders were completely fried and to be honest I was in complete agony when I walked out of the gym (not in a bad way, just I don't generally train with this kind of high volume sets). If I want to get through the full 30 rep super set I would have to grab a 15kg bar I think.

Genuinely surprised how much I've been feeling DOMS in my traps after doing this. Never realised upright rows provided so much trap activation.

One question though, is it a good idea to be doing this kind of thing once a week or is it a bit excessive?

[MENTION=2727]Fadi[/MENTION] prescribed to do it twice a week for at least a month. Doing it once a week is far from excessive

[MENTION=2727]Fadi[/MENTION] prescribed to do it twice a week for at least a month. Doing it once a week is far from excessive

Sweet, like I said I'm not accustomed to this high volume stuff so want to make sure I'm not overdoing it.

Cheers.