• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
People seem to think that they wills see an immediate benefit from things like BA. Most of these supplements you need to take for some time to see peak benefit.

People seem to think that they wills see an immediate benefit from things like BA. Most of these supplements you need to take for some time to see peak benefit.

I find that you notice them the most when you've been on for a while and stop cold turkey.

I stopped taking creatine at the beginning of the year as I didn't think it was doing much, and I had been taking it all year without fail. Straight away I noticed the workouts got more gruelling at the half way point. Like muscular fatigue set in earlier. I was sceptical and put it down to other factors. Started taking it again and feel much better.

You mean dark chocolate?
In which case, it's more economical to buy EU than eat the same amount of 90% cocoa dark chcocolate

Actually just read the EU label for the first time in a long time. It is all green tea extracted catechins. You'd need to drink a hell of a lot of tea though...or even take a lot of extract caps to make up the same amount. It is easier to get it from cocoa but as you say Steve, the calories can offset the benefits

I know that Citrulline is generally seen as the most effective in studies, but is there any benefit in taking it in combination with another NO activator?

edit: Agmatine?
Rather than give an answer to your question, I'd ask you a question instead, which might make you look very differently at your ultimate destination, i.e. NO. Here's my question: are you getting headaches from your NO supplements, or whatever other supplement that claims to activate a NO effect? If your answer is no to NO's headache effect, I'd change product until I get one that gives me at least a slight headache. A headache in and of itself is not the major issue in the context of what I'm discussing here, my issue is why I am or I am not getting a headache.

NO causes your blood vessels to dilate (vasodilation), that's where the forearm vascularity promise on the supplement label comes from. But it's a catch 22 here. Either you're getting the roadmap look on your forearms and the great pump in your muscles from NO (due to its working mechanism in dilating your blood vessels), and with that a headache. Or, you're not getting a headache and none of the pumps and popping veins promised by the supplement, indicating it has no NO, or an activator of it. Or perhaps you are getting a massive pump and vascular arms, without a headache, in which case I'd look closer at the ingredients that are written on the label and credit them with your results and not NO. Why is that so?

Because there are some people who are prone to headaches when they exert themselves in small bouts of high intensity training, when others suffer no headaches at all. Upon examination, you'd find that those who've gotten the headaches had a higher level of NO in their bodies when compared with those who did not get any headaches http://www.webmd.com/migraines-headaches/news/20010702/does-exercise-trigger-your-migraines

The point I'm making here, is NO is not without its commonly known side effect, a headache or a migraine. Of course the supplement company would not wish for you to know that, for more reasons than one.

Interesting. I've noticed the latest pre workout I've been trying gives me a headache by the time I'm at the gym. Knew it was some side effect, but didn't know what caused it.

Core Fury Extreme V2.
I just did a quick check on the ingredients Steve. If you're getting too much of a buzz, and by too much I mean a bit on the uncontrollable jittery side, I'd suggest you up one ingredient and add one more to the mix. Up the L Theanine by adding another 200mg cap, and add a new ingredient to balance things out nicely here and that ingredients would be magnesium, at about 200mg elemental, preferably attached to a glycine carrier, so it would be magnesium glycinate.

If on the other hand you're happy with the amount of CNS stimulatory effect you're getting out of this, then keep as is...and don't forget to increase the water intake due to the high level of creatine present within.

Do you recommend having magnesium with a pre workout in general Fadi?
I usually have mine at night but have been having it pwo lately as I've been cramping with the higher heat and it's easier to remember to take it then. Can't say I notice a difference

Do you recommend having magnesium with a pre workout in general Fadi?
I usually have mine at night but have been having it pwo lately as I've been cramping with the higher heat and it's easier to remember to take it then. Can't say I notice a difference
Only if your supplementing with a substance that is known to stimulate the CNS like caffeine for example. I noticed that Steve's supplement had L Theanine (which is the magic substance found in tea balancing its caffeine), hence no jitters from tea's caffeine as some may get from coffee's caffeine.

To relax you at night prior to sleeping magnesium is great, even better when you add 1g of the amino acid Taurine, a great player that works to help you shut down that chatter box once (some of us) go to sleep. A chatter box inside of your head when you're trying to shut down and relax is not something you want, as it could lead to anxiety and further screw up with your down time. So 1g of Taurine, plus 200mg of elemental magnesium before bed should help to relax you and have you in dream land more quickly.

And you're right on the money as far as magnesium and cramping is concerned. A product that I first took when my calf cramped so bad I couldn't walk back in 1980 was K-Mag. It was recommended to me by a friend and a former Olympian. K stands for potassium and mag for magnesium. You can buy it here in Oz and through iHerb. Its salt carrier is aspartic acid...,hasn't changed for over 30 years because it works and works well.

Last edited:
I just did a quick check on the ingredients Steve. If you're getting too much of a buzz, and by too much I mean a bit on the uncontrollable jittery side, I'd suggest you up one ingredient and add one more to the mix. Up the L Theanine by adding another 200mg cap, and add a new ingredient to balance things out nicely here and that ingredients would be magnesium, at about 200mg elemental, preferably attached to a glycine carrier, so it would be magnesium glycinate.

If on the other hand you're happy with the amount of CNS stimulatory effect you're getting out of this, then keep as is...and don't forget to increase the water intake due to the high level of creatine present within.

Thanks for that research.

To be honest I'm a bit disappointed in the pre workout as it doesn't really give me a kick or any jitters. It just gives me a headache and anxiety, like I've been water boarded lol. It almost turns me off from going to the gym. So yeah, I won't be getting the product again.

I already take a zinc and magnesium tablet before bed.

i find the headache all pretty stretching, tho i dont take high stims like steve does

but i have taken it before and never got a headache, is it new, or

i think everyone is different and a blanket headache statemenet isnt very wise in the whole of life

i think everyone is different and a blanket headache statemenet isnt very wise in the whole of life
If the general public takes aspirin on an empty stomach and suffers the consequences, would you say that if the bodybuilding community did the same they'd be immune from such a side effect? The principle is the same the drug is different...one screws with your stomach whilst the other does your head in. Please note that we're talking about a NO supplement here, in other words an addition above and beyond what your body produces naturally, and the side effect of that is a headache. I feel comfortable making a blanket statement here the way I feel confident in knowing that every human being would feel the effect of cayenne pepper once it hits their mouth.

Having said all the above, I'm not infallible, so you could be right and I could be wrong.

Been supplementing Citrulline Malate again this past week or so, adding ~3g to my PWO's which I thought were a little under dosed on the Arginine (2g in one that contains Arginine and nothing in another PWO that I have). Pumps are definitely fuller and longer lasting. No headache like Fadi spoke of previously but also a lot more vascular. For the cost, I'll be keeping it in for a while