• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I had a small tear in my soleus earlier this year which took more than 12 weeks of physio and recovery to get right. Despite the advice of the physio I tried to come back too early too quickly for a run I wanted to do and basically made it worse. My advice for what its worth is to listen to the physio and even when you think it feels great after a couple of days of rest and some stretching take it real easy for the first one or two runs. The good thing is you are in your taper now so all the hard work is done and now you can just focus on getting to the start line as fresh as possible. Good luck with it.

Thanks for that. Yeah that was my biggest fear having too much time out and undoing the hard work. I still haven't gotten my head around the taper, mentally I feel like running less means I can only run less on the day lol, dunno, feels weird knowing the hardest part is over and I'm still over 4 weeks away. Having this week off though hopefully gives me the good rest I need and can still complete the remaining runs.

Thanks for the advice :)

Been having physio the last week and a half and alot of stretching and walking.

Today I did a 30km bike ride in the gym in an hour and did a 5 minute walk then 5 minute light jog. Felt ok so hopefully I can start to increase the KM 's next week and see how I go.

3 weeks to go.

Well unfortunately it seems my Marathon adventure has come to an end. Today I started light jogging again, did a 2km jog, rested and stretched and once I resumed the same injury flared up again. I felt fine for the first 2k's very refreshed but it seems the stopping and starting is an issue.
It's less than 3 weeks til the Marathon and based on last time it was a week until I could walk again without limping.

All in all though I had a crack and went above and beyond what I had thought I could do and was good to know I managed the 32km run. 12km was the furtherest I had ever run previously.
I'll take alot of lessons out of this and the first thing to go and do is try and drop 10 kilos first, I'm sure it will be much easier then. My knees also held up.

I'll pray for a miracle over the next couple of weeks and try a run in a week if I can just to see how it goes for the slight chance I might make the start line.

Thanks for following, fidn't end as I had hope but I had a go and can't do much more than that.

Cheers

Mate that sucks balls. You worked hard and should be proud of the work you have done and what you have achieved in training. Ill keep my fingers crossed for a miracle recovery over the next two weeks.

Well I managed to make it to the Melbourne Marathon and make it to the start and finish line. In between I checked out the town and had some brekkie at Fed Square, helped out a homeless lady and walked around a lot. Went to the pub afterwards, got home at midnight and got up at 3am for a flight out of there. Still scored my finisher shirt as well and enjoyed the whirlwind trip. Really did suck though watching the event from the sidelines but time to think about the Gold Coast Marathon and take heed of the lessons learnt, primarily number 1, drop some weight.

Thanks for following along.

That sucks, but there's always another marathon around the corner. At least you'll be in even better shape for the next one.

It does suck but it is pretty common with people returning to running after a long hiatus. If you have you sight set on Gold Coast then some weight loss will be a good idea and a very slow consistent build up of Km's. Try not to leave it until 16 weeks out and then ramp up the k's too quickly. Focus on recovering from the injury first and then start with some run/walk 3 times week, slowly building the the amount of time spent on your feet. The general rule with running is to not increase total weekly k's or time by more that 10%. I did the half at GC this year and it is a great event, well organised and usually god weather. Good luck with it.