• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Snoochies

So I'm doing the Melbourne Marathon this year in October. My best mate has been fighting cancer the last 6 months and he is a runner. He missed out last year so after his treatment is finished he is raising funds to help out the place where he got his treatment. and has challenged me to do the marathon with him.

I am not a runner, have always hated it but have managed to get to a 12km run at one stage, well below a marathon standard.

Anyone offer any tips? I currently do strength training 3 times per week with 2 sprint sessions so I am guessing my training will have to alter dramatically. Anytime I go for a longish run, the leg burn kills me before the lungs give out.

103kg and could not job 10km at the moment.

I'm doing another Tough Mudder in May and in the past I have been able to jog 12km's by the time the event came around, so am looking at replicating that. I figure that would be a good base to start with.

I am guessing though I am going to need to drop quite a few kilos by October.

Get runnin then.
buy a good pair of feet, do just want to finish (get over the line)?
or do you want to set a time?

Get runnin then.
buy a good pair of feet, do just want to finish (get over the line)?
or do you want to set a time?

Just finish. I don't enjoy long distance running at all. I enjoy sprint work etc but plodding along at one pace bores me. The mental slog will be the major challenge.

I've done a few half marathons of 12kms as well. Like anything, you'll only get better at it the more you do it. Seeing it's in October, I wouldn't be doing any running yet. I find it harsh on the body and it's a matter of time before you get some type of minor injury. I would only start running 6 weeks before the event.

When you do start running, I'd be doing it as your cardio. 2-3 times week should be plenty. Start off running for as long as you can; you'll probably only get 15-20 minutes. Then each running session, try to get another 2-3 minutes. So you'll probably end up increasing your distance by 5-10 minutes a week. So over 6 weeks you'll easily be able to run for over an hour comfortably.

6 weeks to start running seems too short since the race is 42km's.

By May I'll be running 12km's in over an hour which is jus over a quarter of the race. My mate says he never ran more than 30k's during training but should be able to run at least 30k's.

It takes me 12 weeks to work upto 12k's so I think I'll keep adding more distance and time after Tough Mudder and see how it goes.
I was the kid that always came last in Cross Country but made the Sprint team :)

Oh sorry, I misread, I thought you said it was a 12km run. 42kms is tough going. Never ran that far, so my advice is probably worthless lol.

What I mean by only training 6 weeks beforehand is that after 6 weeks of straight running/training, my body starts to break down and I have to back off the running. For me I peaked around 5-6 weeks.

Over a hundred kilos and you want to do 42kms? That's going to be tough going man....I mean really tough going!

Got a mate that does very long runs. Only really started running in the last couple of years but won his first attempt at a 100 miler last year. He runs multiple times a week, usually totalling around 10-20kms for the week but things get a bit more serious when he's getting close to a competition.

I would honestly be looking at dropping as much weight as you can. Give up the weight training for the year as carrying 100+ kg (not only for the event but all the training required) will destroy your knees. I'd be starting to run ASAP. Most training plans are about 4 months and will be tailored for people that already run a few kms per week. You want to be able to do 5-10kms consistently before you even start training.
Getting some distance work in for the tough mudder will be a good plan and should have you on track.

Last edited:
Oh sorry, I misread, I thought you said it was a 12km run. 42kms is tough going. Never ran that far, so my advice is probably worthless lol.

What I mean by only training 6 weeks beforehand is that after 6 weeks of straight running/training, my body starts to break down and I have to back off the running. For me I peaked around 5-6 weeks.

"Melbourne Marathon" was the title

Run, stretch, massage mate!! Well done on running for a great cause too. Don't overdo it too early. Work up to it, the excitement/nerves on the day will also give you a few extra km in the legs!!!

100kg+ and want to run a marathon. if you hate your knees and ankles and enjoy chronic pain go for it.