• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I guess what I'm wondering is with the training program above where there is running 6 days per week, where the heck do you fit strength training into the picture. There are 2 speed days and one light day and 1 complete day off on Monday. I'm guessing getting in 2 strength sessions maybe on the Monday and on a speed day would be beneficial.

When I was training for a run, I did my cardio/running in the morning and left the afternoons to regular resistance training. Depends on the length of your training sessions though.

You could could alternate the days if you only want to train once a day.

So I've been running for a month now 3 times per week, 1 strength training session, 1 sprint session and a full body HIIT and eating a clean diet except for a cheat meal on a Saturday night, also been 7 weeks since I had any alcohol and have put on a kilo and a half in a month :-(
I've been eating around 2200 cals mainly fats and protein and minimal carbs (only from fruit and veg). Started at 103kg and now weigh 104.5kg.

My strength had increased with only 1 training session, I am running further (8km) and more regularly and eating well but feel bloated.

What I am eating

Breakfast: Scarmbled eggs (3 white 2 yolk)
Snack: Protein + Water + Banana
Lunch: Salad, greens, salmon, cottage cheese, cherry tomatos, olives, half avocado bit of mayo
Snack: Apple and Protein and water
Dinner: Veggies, broccoli, carrot, peas, and either a steak, salmon, chicken breast
Snack: Protein and milk

I've not learnt much about undereating and wondering if this can actually cause weight gain? I'm burning around 800 cals on my run now. I don't feel fatigued or overly hungry so thought the scales would actually go down but not up.

Times in the past when I have actually dropped on the scales is when I did absolutely nothing, no diet, no workouts. The last 3 Tough Mudders I have trained for, I never lost any weight but for the marathon I think it is a must.

I start my official 12 week Marathon program on Monday but have been running pretty much all year and still hate it. Probably enjoyed 1 run so far. I'm hovering between 101kg to 103kg and have built upto a 15km run. I'm slow compared to majority of the runners out there and majority of my run my legs just burn. I've always been a sprinter and hopeless at long distance but although not fast, am getting better at the long stuff.
Next week I'll be running 6 days a week which include 2 speed sessions and building upto a 32km run in week 6 and 7. I'm looking forward to the challenge and hopefully drop a few more kilos in the process but it's safe to say I will only complete 1 Marathon (hopefully) in my lifetime.

Dunno if there would be any interest in me keeping a training log here for people to follow? Today was day 1 of my real 12 week marathon training program. I'll post up if people are interested.

BW: 102.2kg

3 X 1km w/ 2 min rest

1km: 4.47
2km: 4.49
3km: 4.53

the Us champion for my age group suggests that each 5 pounds lost leads to a 19 seconds improvement over 5km.

BW 102.5kg

Easy 10km @ 6.08/km

Broke in a new pair of Mizunos today. It was the first run I have done without feeling any leg burn but the foot pain was incredible. Right in the middle next to the ball of the foot, the shoe has some ball like lump and was putting pressure on my feet, after 4km's it was really painful and the toes were starting to get numb but the foot was killing. I just kept pushing through it as my legs felt fine for a change, when I finished there was a small indentation under my foot. The ball thingy in the shoe though seems to loosen up abit as well. No doubt they'll get better the more I run in them.

foot pain was incredible. Right in the middle next to the ball of the foot, the shoe has some ball like lump and was putting pressure on my feet, after 4km's it was really painful and the toes were starting to get numb but the foot was killing. I just kept pushing through it as my legs felt fine for a change, when I finished there was a small indentation under my foot.

Sounds terrible!

Today I did the Bas Rutten all round workout. 28 minutes of shadow boxing, pushups, lunges, jumping squats, sprawls, hill climbers, abs. Will be regular Wednesday workout.

Should I also maybe consider transferring all this over to 'member diaries?

The workout you do should be aimed at making you stronger, to protect the joints that are subject to continued impact caused by running, a person of you size needs to be careful and you should consider using weights and doing no exercises that incorporate impact.

I've been doing this workout all year as I used it to prepare for Toughmudder earlier in the year.
When training for Mudder I was doing a strength program as well and found running harder after doing squats.
I guess the only part of this workout that is an issue is the jumping squats, I end up doing 20 - 25 within 30secs and I feel fine doing it. Maybe substitute the jumping and hold a 20kg plate instead?

This is what my current week looks like.

Monday: speed session (3X1km)
Tuesday: Medium run (10km)
Wednesday: Originally this was an easy day in the program or cross training so I chose to continue the Bas workout.
Thursday: Speed/Hills (300m X 6)
Friday: Short run (6km)
Saturday: Long run (13km)

Everything above increases in distance with the long run being a 32km run in 6 weeks time.
How I incorporate squats into the week I'm not too sure and also how heavy or light do I try and go. Guess I have my own fear of fatigue again.

A rooted low back and poor knees and ankle will solve you fatigue issues.

you might get away with doing nothing, if running is everything then just do that, actions verify priorities, if you start to feel aches and niggles then that is a sign that you need to start addressing the problems, squatting isn't the answer to everything

Thanks, I appreciate your input and am not discounting it so I don't want to come across like that. I much prefer strength training and hate running so I'd rather hit the weights than go for a run. Preferably this will be the one and only marathon I will do, as stated at the start it's more for my mate, not something I particularly want to keep on doing. So I guess, is giving up the strength training for 6 months or so going to blow my knees and ankles out because I am running more, I can't answer that. The challenge is to find the happy medium I guess, when doing strength I found running hard, without doing strength I still find it hard but somewhat easier.

I can do a strength program and get sore for a few days and see how the recovery goes, about the only way I'll find out I guess.

6 X 400m w/200 jog recovery.

Went out guns a blazing feeling great until I hit the 300m mark on the first run and sucked in a lot of gas and as expected every set there after was progressively slower.

13km run @ 6.01/km.
Cracked the 10k under 1 hour for the first time. Still ran with pain and numbish toes for about 8km's though. Hoping they break in soon.