• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Shutup steve

For you........- The marathon is a long-distance running event with an official distance of 42.195 kilometres -

I think it's the same in melbourne :D

Marathon distances can be arbitrary. I've seen "half marathons" range between 10 and 25 kms. But continue arguing over semantics, it's what you guys do best.

Most sports you try and be at least half decent at it. How many good 100kg marathon runners you seeing.

If it's worth being shit at a sport and being injured, go for it.

I agree.

And 100kg is way too heavy to run a marathon, asking for trouble.

Most sports you try and be at least half decent at it. How many good 100kg marathon runners you seeing.

If it's worth being shit at a sport and being injured, go for it.
The way I understand the OP is tbat it's a one off event, I don't think he's talking about taking it up as a sport but as usual you bastards start banging on about professional sports and athletes

Yes it's a one off event but it's not a casual walk in the park. 42kms of solid running at 100kg will crucify your joints. Not to mention the hundreds of kms he would have racked up between now and then to have a hope of finishing.

People die from this chit. Its not something you should just cruise in to all blasé about.

The way I understand the OP is tbat it's a one off event, I don't think he's talking about taking it up as a sport but as usual you bastards start banging on about professional sports and athletes

The voice of reason

but really, biuld up to it slowly buy some really good quality shoes (to reduce impact) because of your weight, lose some weight in the process, and have fun doing it.
find a running track.

it will be good for you and all the best to your friend.

Yes it's a one off event but it's not a casual walk in the park. 42kms of solid running at 100kg will crucify your joints. Not to mention the hundreds of kms he would have racked up between now and then to have a hope of finishing.

People die from this chit. Its not something you should just cruise in to all blasé about.

It's all good, the first 5 to 10 km, will be easy, he just needs to pace himself and he just needs to stay hydrated and fed.

people die from this because they continually push themselves to their limit on the training track, mainly because they think more is better.

So to clarify, yes I'm over 100kg now, the event is in October. I don't plan on being over 100kg for the run.
I've completed 3 Tough Mudders and have been over 100kg's for each and have built upto 12km runs as part of the training. Yes it was slow but managed. Actually running on Tough Mudder isn't that hard.

I figure I will do the usual Tough Mudder training so will have a base to start with of about 12km's. Then I guess I ditch the weights or maybe still do 1 full body workout to try and maintain.

Found this 12 week program, looks decent. http://www.mensfitnessmagazine.com.au/wp-content/uploads/12-Week-Marathon-Training-Guide.pdf

Again, I'm only looking at finishing, if I run at 7mins per Km, I don't care, everyone cheers on the straggler plus I get to finish in the MCG and feel like a hero!

Thanks. My next question would be where to fit in strength workouts in that plan. 1 full body or 2 split or 2 full body? No idea, never run that much before.

Thanks. My next question would be where to fit in strength workouts in that plan. 1 full body or 2 split or 2 full body? No idea, never run that much before.

Well, there is no such thing as specificity when it comes to weight lifting.

my advice.
strengthen the muscles you use in the sport and then practice your sport, in your case incorporate a full body routine focusing on the muscles that do the work/move you;
*shoulder press
*shrug/ neck work
*a squat
*leg extension
*leg curls
*An emphasis on pulling movements

practice, most of your running on a soft surface, like grass, sand or a running track, closer to the event hit the road.

In relation to strength, your focus is increasing strength that is going to increase joint stability and the ability to generate and resist force.

strength prevents injury.
joints anchored by strong muscle decrease the chance of injury.
properly trained a stronger body is one that is leaner more flexible, uses oxygen more efficiently and better protects itself from external forces.

this is how all people should view weight lifting for sport and in general day to day life, the byproduct being many, one of them is strength.

Care to reword or rethink that one?

Bugger I is lazy

strength is general and contributes to any activity but the applied demonstration of strength is specific and learning to apply your strength properly in any activity requires *skill training* not strength training but skill training can come from only one possible sauce, the practice of the sport itself.

tomato

Is it not a case of developing strength and skills relevant to your sport/movement through specific training methods and exercises? Strength can be displayed in specific areas.

Sorry if I'm reiterating what you're getting at.

Bernaise.

"Specific training methods and exercises" to me are two different things.

we have functional training versus traditional training;

functional exercise trains movement patterns with or without resistance - combines skill and strength training - to produce according to its advocates a more "functional" outcome.

this is what PT's love doing, and they are stupid and ignorant.

the elements of specificity and transfer inherent in the study of motor learning render the claims of skill improvement and transfer impossible, if not fraudulent.

you can view functional outcome like this;

1. Bodily proportions
2. Neurological efficiancy
3. Cardiovascular ability
4. Skill
5. Muscular strength

all factors important but only one factor is productive the other 4 being supportive in nature

cantalope