• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
ONE of WA’s top doctors says young females are putting themselves at risk of “significant side effects” by the extreme dieting techniques they are using to enter bodybuilding competitions.
A special three-month investigation by The Sunday Times behind the scenes at the fast-growing competitions has uncovered how some competitors are using steroids, oestrogen blockers, hard liquor, “waterloading” and last-minute junk food gorgefests to get the “perfect body’’.
Australian Medical Association WA spokesman and head of emergency at Sir Charles Gairdner Dr David Mountain said the women could end up with long-term side-effects like kidney problems, liver disease and infertility.
“There are a whole bunch of long-term side effects,” he said.
“These are all basically (ways of) pushing bodies to extremes to look a particular way.
“It drives more dysfunctional behaviour, more problems with body image and I think it’s problematic that we have a whole branch of pseudo-sport that is completely about image and distorted body shape.”

Some female contestants said they were spending weeks using oestrogen blockers and even steroids to “bulk up their bodies”.
And drug use appeared to be normalised, with one bodybuilder claiming some competitors “smoked crack” to help them lose weight.
A controversial “waterloading” practice to “lean out” bodies was also popular.

Competitors told The Sunday Times how one week before a competition they drink up to 10L of fluids a day.

Then the night prior to competition they dehydrate, with some even taking diuretics – a medication normally used by seniors to promote urine production.
Competitors drink vodka and wine before going on stage to dehydrate further.
The idea is to increase their “vascularity” and make their veins “pop” so their muscles appear more dramatic.
Some contestants said they would drop their calorie intake to below 1000 while exercising more than three hours a day.

The recommended minimum calorie intake for a woman on a diet who is not exercising is 1200.

The Sunday Times also witnessed bingeing on junk food back stage prior to shows.
Foods ranged from chocolate muffins to fries covered in tomato sauce.
After stripping carbs from their diets in the weeks prior, the females believed the sudden introduction of sugar and salt would “bloat their muscles”.
A trawl through the social media profiles of young Perth female bodybuilders showed how brazen the extreme dieting had become – with women posting snaps of themselves drinking alcohol backstage, bingeing on junk food and guzzling 2L bottles of water.
Quotes supposed to be inspiring are also shared, including sayings like, “Find your limit, then crush it”, and, “Unless you puke, faint or die, keep going”.
Female bodybuilding is the latest craze in the burgeoning billion dollar fitness industry.
Women now double the number of men at major WA competitions.
Only two of the five major Australian bodybuilding competitions conduct drug testing. National Australian Body Building WA promoter Adam Baker said testing would be “too expensive” to conduct.
“It’s a bit of a grey area,” Mr Baker said.
“It’s one of those things when people don’t really talk about it.
“I can tell you for a fact 90 per cent or maybe higher (of women competitors) are all naturals, they live a very strict lifestyle.”
See STM in this weekend’s The Sunday Times for an exclusive look at the world of Perth’s female bodybuilders.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...s/news-story/4f84704cc9289d53e3b00f99524ad1dc

We know that competitive bodybuilding is not a healthy path to take both for women and men but especially women

Gone are the days when being a good mother and bringing up good children is the best thing she could do with her life, but I digress

Last edited:
maybe you guys want to go back to 1960s and nuclear family.

Females have every right to do what they want, and most do.

Honestly? You kunce are taking a serious topic and turning it in to a "women belong in the kitchen" thread? Get fucked!

I'm with Sparts, they have every right to do whatever they want in life.

You Neanderthals course they have every right and should.
fuck me.

family values and the way we see ourselves have changed.

Most females do what they like and can, actions verify priorities.
priorities are no longer centers around family values, family values have changed for the worse.

The same can be said about males. Couple of prime candidates on here that have "questionable" family values.

Females just like men have differing family values. Whats more important is they have a moral and ethically sound mind.

Carb loading with beer is a perfectly cromulent way of getting glycogen stores replenished and according to the article I will be instantly more vascular, as well as my N=1 effect of being 17 times more charming and witty with the added benefit of stamina when I do terrible things to the wife later.

Also gives me the courage to carry on like a fuckwit on the internet with no possible consequence.

Prove me wrong.

Last edited:
Also, while alcohol may be a diuretic, studies have shown that mixed drinks actually have a net equal in terms of water holding in most people. The mad hangover is not caused by dehydration, rather the formation of acetaldehyde which is a byproduct of alcohol metabolism and largely responsible for the horrible day I will have tomorrow.

Women have lost their true role in life, and society as a whole is paying for it.
What do you mean by this [MENTION=2727]Fadi[/MENTION] ;?
Can they not compete in bodybuilding or physique competitions? What exactly is their "true role"?

What do you mean by this @Fadi ;?
Can they not compete in bodybuilding or physique competitions? What exactly is their "true role"?
Their primary role is to bring you up properly. Would you disagree with that? Bodybuilding is not even on my radar right now. I'm talking about the bigger picture. And the bigger picture (as far as society is concerned), is not about some bodybuilding contest I hope. However if you wish to include bodybuilding competition the way bodybuilding competition is today, then I'd ban the whole sport unless we come to our senses by not expecting bodybuilders (both men and women) to come in looking like they've just been released form a concentration camp.

Now that I've said that, please tell me what you would consider a woman's role in society to be? In other words, what can she do better than you and I can and excel at it? I contribute to my household, and so does my wife. Are we the same? No we're not. Are we equal? Yes we are. Equality and sameness are two different things. She breasts feed our little one and does things I can not do. Does that make me any less or her any more? No, we're playing two different roles here. Everyone has a role to play.