• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

aussienick

So woke up yesterday to my instagram and twitter feeds exploding with support for Ed Coan in relation to the IPF ruling on his seminars for their registered lifters.

While I can understand and commend the IPF for the stance on drugs in sports, I fail to see how attending a seminar from Ed would cause any issues. Yes he got banned for substance abuse, but he is still an amazing lifter and teacher and anyone would benefit from his knowledge. Still takes hard work and knowledge to become such a powerful lifter regardless of any chemical assistance.

See the ruling here.

http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/abo...detail&cHash=7ea9d50e05e6952736bbbdfbab11fb19

One has to wonder, since the IPF have stepped on his toes and potentially impacted his source of income, Does he have grounds to go after the IPF legally for slander, defamation?

Did they say things about him that are false? If not i don't see how they could.

Also assuming he was banned for PEDs, I'm not sure it is substance "abuse".

Maybe they're worried lifters will go to the seminar and catch the roids?

WADA rules explain that in sporting matters, we must not work or associate with individuals who are serving a period of ineligibility due to an anti-doping rule violation.
now associate to me is more like rocking upto a party or going out to dinner with someone , or in this case hitting the gym together

how exactly is attending a seminar classed as associating

Ed was out here hanging with [MENTION=4221]Sticky[/MENTION]; Wonder if that had anything to do with it?

Wonder what [MENTION=12011]vonfram88[/MENTION]; thinks about all this?

I posted all that a couple of days ago in the old PA vs CPC/Capo thread.

No, he can't sue as he's guilty. Pinged 3x for drug use in competition. Lifetime ban. Think Lance Armstrong. He aint about to sue WADA or the cycling body. Right?

The fact that it may seem a bit harsh is besides the point. Dems the rules and you agree to them by joining. Yes, I think its overboard to ban others from associating with him. Thats wrong.

Ed was out here hanging with @Sticky; Wonder if that had anything to do with it?

Wonder what @vonfram88; thinks about all this?

Doesn't affect me. I'm not in the habit of paying money to hear sportsmen or former sportsmen talk. And my levels of performance are perpetually mediocre anyway so why would I bother going to anything like this?

This isn't a WADA thing it's an IPF thing.
No other sport tells it's athletes not to visit a specific seminar with a specific person

I believe it is because of the fact that he's running powerlifting seminars. Probably falls under a sporting context, hence no IPF members should be in attendance. I don't know why people always use this stuff as an excuse to bash the IPF.

From WADA's own website:

"What is ‘prohibited association’?
There have been several high-profile examples where athletes have continued to work with coaches who
have been banned or with other individuals who have been criminally convicted for providing performance-
enhancing drugs.

A new feature of the Code taking effect at the start of 2015 makes it an anti-doping rule violation for you to
associate with this sort of “athlete support person” once you have been specifically warned not to engage
in that association.

THE DETAILS:
You must not work with coaches, trainers, doctors or others who are ineligible because of an anti-doping rule
violation or who have been criminally convicted or professionally disciplined in relation to doping.

Some examples of this type of prohibited association include obtaining training, strategy, nutrition or medical
advice, therapy, treatment or prescriptions. Moreover, the “athlete support person” may not serve as an agent or
representative. Prohibited association need not involve any form of compensation."

Yeah but banned weightlifters do weigtlifting seminars but you don't get this happening on the weightlifting body websites. "Don't go to this seminar by Medvedyev!"

Well this particular rule only came in during 2015. I think it's fair enough for the IPF to not let its members attend, especially when Coan was banned for life for getting caught cheating 3 times. IPF just happened to spell it out so that there was no ambiguity (especially knowing how popular Ed Coan is). It brings the sport into disrepute when people are associating in a learning context with someone who is banned.

Is that even legal, a sporting body (and I use the term very loosely) telling you who you can talk to and what events you can attend