• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Reide

Head Slut Kuncet
I'm at AIF right now and am finding some of the information outdated. I'm doing my cert 3 and 4. I was considering going to uni to study nutrition and dietetics afterwards to widen my scope of practice but I'm concerned I might not get the best knowledge out of this course.

I know AIF has a bad rep from years ago but it's a 6-18 month course that lured me. I do like the course and I get it's just a piece of paper. I'm just concerned I'm not going to be the best that I can with this.

Yes, AIF is shit. But it doesn't matter much. What people forget is that with most cert iii/iv things, it's just the book-learning part. You don't become a chef, chippie or sparky just by going to tafe, you do an apprenticeship as well. We don't have this structure with fitness, so you have to create it for yourself. Doesn't matter where you go to school, school is only the beginning of your education.

Firstly, you need your own experience. Barbells, kettlebells, gymnastics, state-level sports, running, whatever. You don't have to be good, point is you actually had someone coaching you, and went far enough that you got stuck and had to figure out how to go forward from there. Most PTs have never had a trainer or pushed themselves to any level.

Secondly, you need a method, a tool. Could be any tool, but it's just the way you'll try training people for a while. You do it for a year or so and then reassess, how useful was this tool, etc. This method may have a guru - Pavel for kettlebells, Rippetoe for barbells, Ross emanait for bodyweight stuff, etc - so seek them out and their followers and learn all you can from them, an unofficial apprenticeship master, if you like.

Thirdly, you get a job in a big box gym and every day you use those tools and talk to people. I was 4.5yr in community gyms, and every day I taught someone to squat or deadlift, and a few times a week I introduced a newbie to the gym, talking to them about their background and goals. Had I stayed in my garage or done bootcamps in parks or something, instead of dealing with 1,000+ people over those years it would have been 100+. I leave to others to judge how good I am, but I am better for having dealt with 1,000+ people than I would have been with 100+. Practice makes you better.

Honestly, if you can,
- coach a goblet squat and a pushup
- show up on time to PT sessions and
- record them in a journal and
- progress the effort over time
then congratulations, you are in the top 10% of trainers out there. But I think a person can aim higher than that...

Will you train me? ?
Sure. :)
whats the question lol
I'm posting on my mobile which I'm bad at typing on. Basically I'm fustrated about the education system and am concerned about whether or not I'll be a good PT.
Yes, AIF is shit. But it doesn't matter much. What people forget is that with most cert iii/iv things, it's just the book-learning part. You don't become a chef, chippie or sparky just by going to tafe, you do an apprenticeship as well. We don't have this structure with fitness, so you have to create it for yourself. Doesn't matter where you go to school, school is only the beginning of your education.

Firstly, you need your own experience. Barbells, kettlebells, gymnastics, state-level sports, running, whatever. You don't have to be good, point is you actually had someone coaching you, and went far enough that you got stuck and had to figure out how to go forward from there. Most PTs have never had a trainer or pushed themselves to any level.

Secondly, you need a method, a tool. Could be any tool, but it's just the way you'll try training people for a while. You do it for a year or so and then reassess, how useful was this tool, etc. This method may have a guru - Pavel for kettlebells, Rippetoe for barbells, Ross emanait for bodyweight stuff, etc - so seek them out and their followers and learn all you can from them, an unofficial apprenticeship master, if you like.

Thirdly, you get a job in a big box gym and every day you use those tools and talk to people. I was 4.5yr in community gyms, and every day I taught someone to squat or deadlift, and a few times a week I introduced a newbie to the gym, talking to them about their background and goals. Had I stayed in my garage or done bootcamps in parks or something, instead of dealing with 1,000+ people over those years it would have been 100+. I leave to others to judge how good I am, but I am better for having dealt with 1,000+ people than I would have been with 100+. Practice makes you better.

Honestly, if you can,
- coach a goblet squat and a pushup
- show up on time to PT sessions and
- record them in a journal and
- progress the effort over time
then congratulations, you are in the top 10% of trainers out there. But I think a person can aim higher than that...

This makes me feel so much better. So we don't have to legally follow the education standard taught to us as long as we can back it up?

This makes me feel so much better. So we don't have to legally follow the education standard taught to us as long as we can back it up?
Legally, you don't need qualifications to even be a PT, let alone do this or that. Where it matters is with court cases. People who spend all day shuffling bits of paper respect bits of paper. If you followed Official Recommendations and someone gets hurt, oh well shit happens. If you do your own thing and someone gets hurt, it'll be your fault. Courts are unpredictable, you could win or lose either way, but that's the trend.

So you get your cert and then whatever tools or methods you want to use, you get some bits of paper reflecting that. I had some pregnant clients so I got "exercise for two." I used barbells so I went and did Starting Strength - and so on.

Mostly the recommendations are not stupid. Just don't be stupid. Don't max out fat guys on the treadmill. Don't take Agatha off her walking frame to do Zumba. Don't get a 120kg guy to bench 80kg on the swiss ball. And yes, all these things have been done, and they've all caused injuries and ended careers. Just ask people all their physical training background andmedical issues, get them to sign off they told you everything, then take that stuff into account, start them super-easy and build up slowly.

Not when you train me. I'll be the one giving the tips ?
Aww. I want money :'c
Legally, you don't need qualifications to even be a PT, let alone do this or that. Where it matters is with court cases. People who spend all day shuffling bits of paper respect bits of paper. If you followed Official Recommendations and someone gets hurt, oh well shit happens. If you do your own thing and someone gets hurt, it'll be your fault. Courts are unpredictable, you could win or lose either way, but that's the trend.

So you get your cert and then whatever tools or methods you want to use, you get some bits of paper reflecting that. I had some pregnant clients so I got "exercise for two." I used barbells so I went and did Starting Strength - and so on.

Mostly the recommendations are not stupid. Just don't be stupid. Don't max out fat guys on the treadmill. Don't take Agatha off her walking frame to do Zumba. Don't get a 120kg guy to bench 80kg on the swiss ball. And yes, all these things have been done, and they've all caused injuries and ended careers. Just ask people all their physical training background andmedical issues, get them to sign off they told you everything, then take that stuff into account, start them super-easy and build up slowly.

So basically get a few pieces of paper and record everything? Awesome. thanks for.the great advice :D

When I did my PT course (8 or so years ago now) I took very little out of the course besides of my bits of paper saying I am qualified - I basically did it so I could get a job in a gym...I used very little that I learnt though. Most information etc I used was from personal study, my own training etc....at the end of the day if your there to "learn to be a PT" your possibly not experienced yourself enough to be a PT in the 1st place (if that makes sense).

So basically get a few pieces of paper and record everything? Awesome. thanks for.the great advice :D
Yes, but be sensible as well. I mean, this is one of the reasons I have them use workout journals.
Judge: "You had a 60kg woman deadlift 120?"
Me: "Yes. After 12 months. And see here, she started with 40, then 42.5, then 45, and... she had 122 deadlift sessions and altogether 2,525 repetitions of this movement to practice it, notice also these two occasions where we noted some lower back pain and had her drop back and..."

The first sounds crazy and dangerous to a sedentary person, and by itself it would be. The second much less so. Don't be crazy and dangerous. I say this, and people nod, and yet...

Last edited:
When I did my PT course (8 or so years ago now) I took very little out of the course besides of my bits of paper saying I am qualified - I basically did it so I could get a job in a gym...I used very little that I learnt though. Most information etc I used was from personal study, my own training etc....at the end of the day if your there to "learn to be a PT" your possibly not experienced yourself enough to be a PT in the 1st place (if that makes sense).
I guess but you'd expect the course to be relevent.
Yes, but be sensible as well. I mean, this is one of the reasons I have them use workout journals.
Judge: "You had a 60kg woman deadlift 120?"
Me: "Yes. After 12 months. And see here, she started with 40, then 42.5, then 45, and... she had 122 deadlift sessions and altogether 2,525 repetitions of this movement to practice it, notice also these two occasions where we noted some lower back pain and had her drop back and..."

The first sounds crazy and dangerous to a sedentary person, and by itself it would be. The second much less so. Don't be crazy and dangerous. I say this, and people nod, and yet...

I'm looking at making up some logbooks and contracts prior to qualifying.

Hi Kyle, I'm looking into doing a pt course if AIF is shit though would commercial gyms frown upon that or just throw out your resume upon receiving it? They've offered a course that is only 6 weeks in class (one 4hr session weekly and a additional 8hr session every second week) as well as online theory. obviously it won't fulfill my education there and then so how much would I honestly get going with sage or other RTO that have 6month in class courses?
I have been lifting for 4 years went from 69kg BW to 92 cut down to 82 with six pack and currently up to 93 focusing on strength increasing my PL total now at about 500kg which I've mainly done so in my self bought garage gym so I have done alot of my own research to get this far so far, should I be concerned with AIPT's lack of knowledge for me or would it not concern me, get my paper and be on my way learning more myself?
would I learn how to teach barbell movements in either providers effectively or would i just come up with my own way to communicate it..
keen to get into it asap get more experience and do my part to helping people get strong too just as I found it helped me
Thanks
Brad