• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
A spotter's a friggin spotter is a spotter and what is this "as soon as they touch the weight, your set is over" are you talking completion here, we're talking about regular lifting here, why are you talking about competition here
Please don't talk competition here, it's not about competition
Ta

Did you forget your brain medication today?

I was just addressing that point that the role of a spotter can differ. And it seems that people were arguing over this point without realising. Sometimes you can use a spotter to catch the weight when you reach failure, and other times you can use a spotter for assisted reps. Surely you can understand this.

Eh I spot guys at powerlifting all the time. It would be kind of silly to do any kind of heavy squatting out of stands withouth spotters on either side. I squat in a rack @ commercial gym and don't go all out with benching, cause I don't trust BB'er type kunce to recognise when I need help vs trying to grab the bar cause it's paused on my chest.

The safest way to actually squat, is to dump the weight from behind, using Vulcan racks is far better than any squat rack.

as far as powerlifting is concerned, safety in the squat is paramount for everyone, and the use of just one spotter is just and would be stupid.

I was just addressing that point that the role of a spotter can differ. And it seems that people were arguing over this point without realising. Sometimes you can use a spotter to catch the weight when you reach failure, and other times you can use a spotter for assisted reps. Surely you can understand this.

Which exercises are you thinking about here?

please list examples

the biggest issue I find with forcing a rep is when the body contorts and twist to get that final rep,...
So why do you think the body contorts and twist out of shape? And how could that state not be a possible invitation to injury?

...and not the weakened state of the muscles moving the weight, the finals rep's in this regard are the safest in terms of muscle and tendon damage.
That depends. If you're squatting for example and reach a point of no return, the wise move would be to drop the weight onto the platform, rather than try and forcefully continue up with it. Furthermore, to say that the final rep when the muscle is at a fatigued state is the safest in terms of muscle and tendon damage is not something I would necessarily agree with. I'm qualifying my answer because I could agree if the person stops the sets where he can no longer move the weight by his own muscle strength. However to say, just because the set is at its final repetitions when the muscles are moving at a weakened state, renders those final reps as being "the safest", I would disagree. I give the following reason: your muscles are at a weakened state for a reason, that is of muscular exhaustion. Deciding to continue with this set by receiving external assistance through a spotter, would (again) place those muscles and connective tissues in a particularly delicate and vulnerable position, because of the weakened state they are in.

i don't believe the lifter has to worry about deviation of the bar path in most cases the structures of the body will enable you to either perform the exercise safely or not,
You seem to place way too much faith in how the body moves. Sure, my body would move in a perfect line (taking the squat as an example here), when the center line of that bar sitting high on the trapezius muscles begins there and ends up meeting with the middle of my foot...perfect squat path...,a perfect line of power here. What you are saying, is that one does not have to worry about the deviation of that bar's path, because (according to you), the structures of the body will enable one to either perform the exercise safely or not. What you seem to neglect perhaps, is the psychology that enters the equation of making that lift here. On the one hand you have the body, the body that wants to survive and be free of injury, and on the other hand you have the mind that wants to push that body beyond its capabilities...hence we see what you've earlier referred to as a body contorting and twisting out of shape. You even say that you have an issue with that effect, yet go on to say that the body would look after itself. You can't have it both way. Either that or I'm not really following your intended message, and that would be my fault Andy, so please forgive my shortcomings if that is the case mate.

I'm no good with the breaking down the quote thing so I will do the best I can.

You said;
So why do you think the body contorts and twist out of shape? And how could that state not be a possible invitation to injury?

let us use the seated press as an example here, during the final reps the trainee, moves his body as opposed to the actual body parts the exercise is intended for to create momentum and leverage.

To answer the second part of your question, it is certainly a recipe for disaster.

I'm no good with the breaking down the quote thing so I will do the best I can.

You said;

let us use the seated press as an example here, during the final reps the trainee, moves his body as opposed to the actual body parts the exercise is intended for to create momentum and leverage.

To answer the second part of your question, it is certainly a recipe for disaster.

OK, I believe we're getting somewhere here. So with what you've written above, are you suggesting that the body is twisting out of shape because the lifter did not seek a spotter, and had he done so, all would have been fine? That's where I don't like the texting method of communication. Something that should take one minute to get across (both ways), seems to take forever sometimes!

I've seen lifters twist out of shape whilst being spotted. Others who mean well and want to perform the set correctly, have the bar pushed out of its line of power (unintentionally) by the spotter...leaving them no choice but to continue applying power under the wrong bar path.

Talking of leverage, both lifters; the lifter and his spotter seek a leverage that is most suitable for them (the root cause of bar path deviation).. hence why I caution against the use of forced reps that are assisted by anyone.

If the spotter has to "catch the weight" as you say then they are doing it all wrong and defeating the purpose

OK, I believe we're getting somewhere here. So with what you've written above, are you suggesting that the body is twisting out of shape because the lifter did not seek a spotter, and had he done so, all would have been fine? That's where I don't like the texting method of communication. Something that should take one minute to get across (both ways), seems to take forever sometimes!

I've seen lifters twist out of shape whilst being spotted. Others who mean well and want to perform the set correctly, have the bar pushed out of its line of power (unintentionally) by the spotter...leaving them no choice but to continue applying power under the wrong bar path.

Talking of leverage, both lifters; the lifter and his spotter seek a leverage that is most suitable for them (the root cause of bar path deviation).. hence why I caution against the use of forced reps that are assisted by anyone.

lol I don't think we are getting anywhere, when you're down here in Melbourne Fadi call me and we can have a good discussion, and we can also sneak in a workout at PTC, what do you think?

you are all mixed up with your terms and analogies

lol I don't think we are getting anywhere, when you're down here in Melbourne Fadi call me and we can have a good discussion, and we can also sneak in a workout at PTC, what do you think?

you are all mixed up with your terms and analogies
No worries mate, I'm all mixed up then. Thank you for the discussion.

No worries mate, I'm all mixed up then. Thank you for the discussion.

Now don't be like that, I'm extending an offer to workout and to talk more.

i did not say you are all mixed up.

you and I are old and still working out, you think differently to me but we are still both working out, both with nil injuries.

darko, is old and doing the same, he uses different methods, I respect that.

bodybiulding is an art form not a science, everything works, there are lots of ways to build muscle and we have a life time to do it.

spotters are valuable
forced reps are, along with the many other variations.

you just need to find what it is.

thats it I'm done, thank you the offer still stands.

Now don't be like that, I'm extending an offer to workout and to talk more.

i did not say you are all mixed up.

you and I are old and still working out, you think differently to me but we are still both working out, both with nil injuries.

darko, is old and doing the same, he uses different methods, I respect that.

bodybiulding is an art form not a science, everything works, there are lots of ways to build muscle and we have a life time to do it.

spotters are valuable
forced reps are, along with the many other variations.

you just need to find what it is.

thats it I'm done, thank you the offer still stands.
Thank you Andy, I appreciate it.

Back in the UniGym days, i remember constantly having to tell the spotters (and they were almost always trainers, as i trusted no-one) to not touch the bar. then re-tell mid set...then again after the set. Every fucking time.

these days no problem. never ask or really ever need one. only on a max test...and even then i usually pretty good at choosing attempt selections...