• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Puggy

Hi all,

Wanting your take and advice regarding this kind of injury.
I've been doing a bit of research but wanted your input.

Around 6 months ago, I encountered tendonitis in my left arm, I left it untreated for 6 weeks and as a result now have long term damage that has to be corrected.
1 week ago, my right arm began to show symptoms. I quickly began icing and massaging as quick as possible, which has subsided pain.

I believe this problem is largely due to the overuse from a job that requires manual labour, lifting, loading, working with timber, etc as well as my gym work.
Learning from my mistakes, a quick response on my right arm is now well into action. Fixing my left arm is also a priority.

The advice I have gathered so far:
Aggressive Ice Cup Massages
Eccentic Training to help elongate muscle and strength

Following this I am also tempted to buy the products demonstrated in this video and a long term solution.

Hi puggy I had a similar problem.
I left it untreated for a while and it just couldn't seem to heel. It got to a point at one stage it hurt to shake some ones hand.

I had seen countless physio's over a 6 month period but couldn't fully fix the problem.
It was until I discovered my current physio that I finally was cured of that dreaded pain.
I can't remember the name of the machine they used. (i will find out this week when I see him)

But its like a round cylinder they hold in there hand and it has a has a round solid ball peen head that hits your effected area about 3000 times in a 4 minute period. Bit like a piston.....they press this and rub it around your effects area. I had 3 sessions of this over a 3 week peroid and I was fixed.

He did explain why this can be hard to fix if left so long....something along the lines from memory that the effected area becomes dormant and needs to be flared up again to reactivate the heeling process....but don't quote me on that
Again I will find out this coming week what the treatment/session was called.
Cheers

I had golfers elbow, climbers arm, skiers armpits or whatever its called, in the brachialis of both arms which got progressively worse to the point where I had trouble holding a cup of OJ without suddenly dropping it from sudden loss of strength and feelings of overwhelming tenderness.

When I stopped practising olympic lifts and scaled back the pullups they gradually subsided. Recognise the damage that high impact movements can have on the limbs tendons!

Ice it til its numb, firm purposeful lacross ball massages until you sweat bullets, rest for a fortnight (avoided any exercises that aggravated it which happaned to be overhead pressing and hammer curls).

Hi puggy I had a similar problem.
I left it untreated for a while and it just couldn't seem to heel. It got to a point at one stage it hurt to shake some ones hand.

I had seen countless physio's over a 6 month period but couldn't fully fix the problem.
It was until I discovered my current physio that I finally was cured of that dreaded pain.
I can't remember the name of the machine they used. (i will find out this week when I see him)

But its like a round cylinder they hold in there hand and it has a has a round solid ball peen head that hits your effected area about 3000 times in a 4 minute period. Bit like a piston.....they press this and rub it around your effects area. I had 3 sessions of this over a 3 week peroid and I was fixed.

He did explain why this can be hard to fix if left so long....something along the lines from memory that the effected area becomes dormant and needs to be flared up again to reactivate the heeling process....but don't quote me on that
Again I will find out this coming week what the treatment/session was called.
Cheers

Thanks for your reply. You have obviously dealt with this problem for a while. It is good to hear there may be a solution.
I eagerly await the name of this therapy, I'm sure it could be perfect for what I need.
Our physio's down here can be pretty hopeless. Most of the time they don't do jak.

I had golfers elbow, climbers arm, skiers armpits or whatever its called, in the brachialis of both arms which got progressively worse to the point where I had trouble holding a cup of OJ without suddenly dropping it from sudden loss of strength and feelings of overwhelming tenderness.

When I stopped practising olympic lifts and scaled back the pullups they gradually subsided. Recognise the damage that high impact movements can have on the limbs tendons!

Ice it til its numb, firm purposeful lacross ball massages until you sweat bullets, rest for a fortnight (avoided any exercises that aggravated it which happaned to be overhead pressing and hammer curls).

Wow, sounds like it got bad. I'm hopeful now mine won't get there.
I've stopped most pressing movements, and am basically avoiding all bicep movements.
Using wraps on as many gripping movements as possible.
Having a good rest before beginning any of this.

Thanks for your reply. You have obviously dealt with this problem for a while. It is good to hear there may be a solution.
I eagerly await the name of this therapy, I'm sure it could be perfect for what I need.
Our physio's down here can be pretty hopeless. Most of the time they don't do jak.
I know what you mean about crap phsio's . I had this problem with my elbow seeing phsio after physio with no results. I was working in small country towns at the time so my options where limited. Until I finally found a physiotherapist back in Brisbane that did finally heal me.

Anyhow I gave them a call and the treatment was called Dolarclast also know as shockwave therapy. I had 3 sessions which fixed me up. I had a cortisone injection as well as part of the process.
This was about 7 years ago.
It has flared up once since then but no where near as bad. I had the treatment again without injection and it's been fine since..
Hope this helps as I know how annoyingly painful it is.
This was the machine they use: http://www.ems-company.com/en/medical/products/swiss-dolorclast/swiss-dolorclast-master

Think it's about 70 bucks a session.
The machine is about 60k ...probably why smaller practices don't have them!

60k for one of those. Don't get much for your money. All it does it hammer away. Surely they could make something that does similar for under 1000 bucks. Modify a hammer drill lol.

60k for one of those. Don't get much for your money. All it does it hammer away. Surely they could make something that does similar for under 1000 bucks. Modify a hammer drill lol.
That's exactly what I thought....get the Makita out and weld a round ball on the drill tip. They hadn't had it long and there was only one person trained to use and they did tell me how expensive it was.
Sitting in the waiting room you can hear this machine hammering away 20 meters away behind closed doors.

They actually have a new machine which can specifically scan tendons for damage or to see how much damage has been done to your tendons.
http://qsmc.net.au/our-services/utc-imaging/

Hi all,

Wanting your take and advice regarding this kind of injury.
I've been doing a bit of research but wanted your input.

Around 6 months ago, I encountered tendonitis in my left arm, I left it untreated for 6 weeks and as a result now have long term damage that has to be corrected.
1 week ago, my right arm began to show symptoms. I quickly began icing and massaging as quick as possible, which has subsided pain.

I believe this problem is largely due to the overuse from a job that requires manual labour, lifting, loading, working with timber, etc as well as my gym work.
Learning from my mistakes, a quick response on my right arm is now well into action. Fixing my left arm is also a priority.

The advice I have gathered so far:
Aggressive Ice Cup Massages
Eccentic Training to help elongate muscle and strength

Following this I am also tempted to buy the products demonstrated in this video and a long term solution.

i like that video, and what he's saying, similar to what I said here;
http://ausbb.com/showthread.php?t=28949&page=2&highlight=Tennis+elbow

Can only talk from my milder bicep tendinitis, climbers and tennis elbows (both sides, a bitch)

Being in an office job there was also more of a chance for me to rest the areas.
Not as ideal you are working physically

All the standard approaches worked well for mine, again, probably more mild than yours

I cut back the aggravating exercises and slowly built back up, prioritising not to aggravate the issues

Only symptom helpers - but ice, also deep heat/tiger balm have been good
Voltaren apparently is good

Stretching worked well for biceps tendinitis however not really possible for the elbow fuckery

Hi all,
Wanting your take and advice regarding this kind of injury. Tendonitis of Brachioradialis

THICKEN-YOUR-ARMS-INS[1].jpg

Pick a weight (a light weight) you can do for no less than 25 reps continuously, and aim for 100 reps..., that is take few seconds break but continue until you reach 100. Your aim is to gorge the brachioradialis muscle with all the blood it can take in. That, and the massages the video recommends. All the best.

Thanks heaps.
I'm organising getting some sessions with a sports medicine center in Geelong about 2 hours away.
Should hopefully be the answer to these problems along with strengthening it post therapy so to not redamage.

I know what you mean about crap phsio's . I had this problem with my elbow seeing phsio after physio with no results. I was working in small country towns at the time so my options where limited. Until I finally found a physiotherapist back in Brisbane that did finally heal me.

Anyhow I gave them a call and the treatment was called Dolarclast also know as shockwave therapy. I had 3 sessions which fixed me up. I had a cortisone injection as well as part of the process.
This was about 7 years ago.
It has flared up once since then but no where near as bad. I had the treatment again without injection and it's been fine since..
Hope this helps as I know how annoyingly painful it is.
This was the machine they use: http://www.ems-company.com/en/medical/products/swiss-dolorclast/swiss-dolorclast-master

Think it's about 70 bucks a session.
The machine is about 60k ...probably why smaller practices don't have them!

I work in a hardware store so that wouldn't be much of a problem :p

That's exactly what I thought....get the Makita out and weld a round ball on the drill tip. They hadn't had it long and there was only one person trained to use and they did tell me how expensive it was.
Sitting in the waiting room you can hear this machine hammering away 20 meters away behind closed doors.

They actually have a new machine which can specifically scan tendons for damage or to see how much damage has been done to your tendons.
http://qsmc.net.au/our-services/utc-imaging/

Can only talk from my milder bicep tendinitis, climbers and tennis elbows (both sides, a bitch)

Being in an office job there was also more of a chance for me to rest the areas.
Not as ideal you are working physically

All the standard approaches worked well for mine, again, probably more mild than yours

I cut back the aggravating exercises and slowly built back up, prioritising not to aggravate the issues

Only symptom helpers - but ice, also deep heat/tiger balm have been good
Voltaren apparently is good

Stretching worked well for biceps tendinitis however not really possible for the elbow fuckery

I'd say mines probably pretty mild too. Initially there was some severe discomfort. But now it settles down into more annoying than anything.
Like you said, not doing stuff that is going to set it off is pretty important. I've gone from 15 pull ups to 1 haha.
Rest is a good move, I love Tiger Balm.

View attachment 11683

Pick a weight (a light weight) you can do for no less than 25 reps continuously, and aim for 100 reps..., that is take few seconds break but continue until you reach 100. Your aim is to gorge the brachioradialis muscle with all the blood it can take in. That, and the massages the video recommends. All the best.

Sounds like another possibility. Will add it to the list.
Probably have a crack later this evening.