• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
barry full of shit once again, taking a word and running to the hills with it.

relax man.

Not sure what an 'organic' sheep/lamb would entail.

Sheep are free range in most cases from what I can see, they roam freely around paddocks, or often large rural properties foraging for food. I also note that in hard times (when it is dry) they are fed some large round bails of hay (I been told they cost about $20-30 per bail, I only asked the farmer where I buy my hay when I need it, as a horse feed bail will cost around $120-150, hoses won't eat the cheap stuff), not sure what sort of hay it is the sheep eat, but almost looks like straw to me. I don't believe any of the sheep around here are fed grain or anything other than these large hay bails or what ever food they find around the farm.

I also know that they will eat weeds and other vegetation (not just grass) that horses for example won't touch or even look at.

Only reporting what I see around me every day, have not thought about it too much. Also all these sheep out here are for eating not wool production.

barry full of shit once again, taking a word and running to the hills with it.

relax man.

You and a band of others here enjoy chasing after Bazza, you and your other cohorts need to settle and instead of acting like children need to be a tad more grown up and just read what's written instead of trying to win points, for you and others it just isn't working for you.

Not sure what an 'organic' sheep/lamb would entail.

Sheep are free range in most cases from what I can see, they roam freely around paddocks, or often large rural properties foraging for food. I also note that in hard times (when it is dry) they are fed some large round bails of hay (I been told they cost about $20-30 per bail, I only asked the farmer where I buy my hay when I need it, as a horse feed bail will cost around $120-150, hoses won't eat the cheap stuff), not sure what sort of hay it is the sheep eat, but almost looks like straw to me. I don't believe any of the sheep around here are fed grain or anything other than these large hay bails or what ever food they find around the farm.

I also know that they will eat weeds and other vegetation (not just grass) that horses for example won't touch or even look at.

Only reporting what I see around me every day, have not thought about it too much. Also all these sheep out here are for eating not wool production.
Just because an animal is free range doesn't mean it's organic. If they have any hormones, antibiotics etc then they shouldn't be classed as organic. Same if they grazing in a paddock that has grown with synthetic pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers etc.

Sheep and cows can also be held in the final stages to fatten them up. If this is the case, they're not classed as free range.

Last edited:
Just because an animal is free range doesn't mean it's organic. If they have any hormones, antibiotics etc then they shouldn't be classed as organic. Same if they grazing in a paddock that has grown with synthetic pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers etc.

Sheep and cows can also be held in the final stages to fatten them up. If this is the case, they're not classed as free range.

Ok, that makes sense.

Really then nothing is organic, as pesticide/herbicide will drift, and pollution is everywhere. But I guess some will be less organic than others...

Yep free range and organic are different, grass fed and organic are different things.

you will also find some organic regulations allow antibiotics to be used under certain circumstances

then there is all the grey area with vacciences

I have a friend who buys all his groceries from an organic market, has a wife and one young child and it costs him over $500 a week in food to buy 'organic'
It's a crazy world out there

I have a friend who buys all his groceries from an organic market, has a wife and one young child and it costs him over $500 a week in food to buy 'organic'
It's a crazy world out there

Yeah i think i have mentioned it before, but my mates missus only buys "organic" stuff and spends a fortune, something like $45 a kg of oats......

Funny though as she is always sick from something yet my mate when not home eats all manner of takeout coz he hates the crap she cooks most of the time is never sick, hahaha

I'll need a second job to afford going organic by the looks of things!

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...e/news-story/e4dc5bbf2c757d94e2c9269b74bc0e54

bb3ea26b4d8a98e19e9d4c0b1f4c6aed

Why?

i don't know a heap about sheep but they will eat grain some are definitely fed grain as a certain percentage of their diet (sheep or cattle can't be fed a 100% grain diet) but i am not 100% on the extent of it in Australia.

I do find this grass fed movement funny. People want grass fed meat but are not happy when the reproductive part of a grass is fed to the animals. So what is it?
I believe Cattle can only survive for about three months on a diet of grain unless they are on antibiotics? I'd rather not eat something that is being killed by what it is eating.I much prefer grass fed

I believe Cattle can only survive for about three months on a diet of grain unless they are on antibiotics? I'd rather not eat something that is being killed by what it is eating.I much prefer grass fed

nope. No matter how much antibiotics you give cows they can't live on a 100% grain diet,it's not an efficient diet even if they could survive on it. Cattle need fibre for the rumen microbes to work properly and extract energy from the feed.

I know more from a dairy cow perspective but give them 100% grain and they will be lucky to live a couple days. Max grain in dairy diets is 60% any more is not enough fibre. Very few feed up to that level these days anyway. Grain is expensive and the dairy industry has worked out how to produce higher quality forages reducing the need for as much grain for energy. We feed 25% grain currently.

Grain doesn't kill cattle when the diet is balanced and an unbalanced diet is inefficient so there is big incentive to not feed too much grain. Anything that causes cattle to be unhealthy is money down the drain.

You prefer grass fed. Grain is a part of grass. Every beef cow or dairy cow is grass fed.

so you don't think any antibiotic resistance can't happen for humans through wildstock? you think the food the animal you breed doesn't affect the meat it makes, i mean that is the point right???