• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
eat-all-the-carbs.jpg

are you a Paleo follower [MENTION=8428]Big Mick[/MENTION]; ?

There are no essential carbs. But they are a fun form of entertainment. However, to try to convince people that they don't need them is a losing battle, so go for it. Eat all you want. Get fat. Do a cut. Rinse and repeat.

They do have a place in bodybuilding where you use super compensation on the day of a comp but for the average joe, thats not a necessary process.

As long as you reach your physical goals, do what you like.

There are no essential carbs. But they are a fun form of entertainment. However, to try to convince people that they don't need them is a losing battle, so go for it. Eat all you want. Get fat. Do a cut. Rinse and repeat.

They do have a place in bodybuilding where you use super compensation on the day of a comp but for the average joe, thats not a necessary process.

As long as you reach your physical goals, do what you like.

Not being essential does not mean that low carb is optimal.

Not essential just means you won't die not eating carbs.

High protein diet isn't essential for life but everyone lifting weights eats higher protein because they are aiming for optimal.

Sorry I thought you preferred low carb? Was it due to the Paleo movement?

I was eating low carbs 20 years before anyone had thought of the Paleo movement, not even sure what a paleo movement is, and not interested in it either, as it seems to be linked to cross fit, which seems like another cult.

Are liver tabs paleo

I guess you are slow on the uptake, I have no idea what Paleo involves or never looked at it, or read up about it, so again I have no idea.

Should not be too hard to find out, the old time body builders used to swear by them, great for iron and amino acids, but pretty sure in bizarro opposite world those nutrients do nothing. Drinking water is probably the same...

I guess you are slow on the uptake, I have no idea what Paleo involves or never looked at it, or read up about it, so again I have no idea.

Should not be too hard to find out, the old time body builders used to swear by them, great for iron and amino acids, but pretty sure in bizarro opposite world those nutrients do nothing.

Do they work better when you buy them out the back of a hungry jacks.

Last edited:
I was eating low carbs 20 years before anyone had thought of the Paleo movement, not even sure what a paleo movement is, and not interested in it either, as it seems to be linked to cross fit, which seems like another cult.

But was that because you were trying to lose weight or you thought low carbs to be optimal for everyone?

Carbs are tricky, as they usually aren't primarily calculated when trying to figure out your macros. You calculate your protein and fat requirements first, as these are needed for building muscle/recovery and hormone function. Then whatever is left over is up to you. You could eat the rest in carbs, but some people feel better on lower carb diets.

But was that because you were trying to lose weight or you thought low carbs to be optimal for everyone?

Was definitely not trying to loose fat (I think people say lose 'weight' what they actually mean lose 'fat', two completely different things), as a body builder your aim should be to gain weight whilst losing fat.

I was into pretty serious training back then, I was teaching around 9 classes a week (kickboxing/thaiboxing), as well as doing my own training and doing weights four days a week, was working part time and making enough money out of teaching classes.

It was something I tried after reading up about things before the Internet really existed, found it worked well for me.

I know my body definitely functions better with low carb intake (not no carb), if I eat excessive carbs (like I did over xmas) I feel lethargic/lazy and bloated, I also have food cravings. As soon as I cut back on the carbs and processed food, after a day or two food cravings and cravings for sweets go away, and I am happy to just eat my two meals a day.

Generally eat lunch early afternoon and a late dinner, sometimes only the dinner, if I don't really feel hungry.

Yesterday I was at work and had a protein shake of 45 grams of WPI in 250ml of coconut milk and a large salad, and then dinner was veal wrapped in bacon as much as I wanted to eat.

So far today I have has a cup of black coffee and a small hand full of beef jerky to snack on, no hunger or cravings what so ever, dinner will be home made spicy beef mince and a large salad.

If I feel hungry before bed or at odd times I will have a shake or beef jerky or salad.

If others eat differently good luck, don't care how many carbs others eat.

I do enjoy my occasional meal of pasta, or garlic bread or hamburger etc etc, but I generally feel bloated and have hunger cravings after I eat that sort of stuff.

Last edited:
Carbs are tricky, as they usually aren't primarily calculated when trying to figure out your macros. You calculate your protein and fat requirements first, as these are needed for building muscle/recovery and hormone function. Then whatever is left over is up to you. You could eat the rest in carbs, but some people feel better on lower carb diets.

Yep would have to agree 100% we need protein and we need fat, so these things should be taken care of first, the rest is up to individual.

Problem with carbs for some people is that they eat excess carbs first, then have cravings for more carbs etc that's how they end up fat.