• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I'm starting to dislike the phrase "there are no essential carbs". Yes, that's true, but that's like saying the only essential liquid is water. It's oversimplifying the issue. We don't need carbs to live and breath, but they are the preferred energy source by the body, especially if you're active and exercising regularly.

An athlete going on a ultra low carb diet is only going to hurt their performance.

I'm starting to dislike the phrase "there are no essential carbs". Yes, that's true, but that's like saying the only essential liquid is water. It's oversimplifying the issue. We don't need carbs to live and breath, but they are the preferred energy source by the body, especially if you're active and exercising regularly.

An athlete going on a ultra low carb diet is only going to hurt their performance.

Not only an Athlete, everyone. I am a bit like [MENTION=8428]Big Mick[/MENTION]; in that I take care of my Protein and Fibre first then worry about Carbs later. When I go low carb energy is shit. As soon as I carb up, fark, its like rocket fuel.

I think today's sedentary lifestyle has led people to place too much value in the low carb movement.

Yeah, whatever people get into, they always end up taking it to the extremes. Keto, vegan, etc. The ideal diet will have a combination of protein, fats and carbs. You just need to figure out that ratio that works for you. The most important factor in weight control is the actual amount you eat, regardless of macros.

We don't need carbs to live and breath, but they are the preferred energy source by the body, especially if you're active and exercising regularly.

I think you are missing the point, saying carbs are the preferred energy source of the body is like saying your car prefers the first half of the tank as it uses it first. Your body is essentially lazy trying to conserve energy as much as possible, so it uses the readily available fuel first, in the absence of carbs the body will use fat as it's preferred fuel.

Re read what I posted earlier and understand it without jumping to extremes, you are the one oversimplifying things by saying what you are saying above. If you are active and exercise regularly, this then obviously comes with the ability to consume extra carbs, should you choose to go that way.

Your body (especially of you are training with weights or are some sort of athlete) must have a certain amount of fat and protein and it must have a certain amount of overall calories, these things are already known, so now you can now work out how many carbs you 'may' consume to make up the rest of your calories.

If your job is sitting at a computer all day or driving a truck, your ability to consume carbs and not get fat is much less than someone that works as a builders labourer digging trenches and carting bricks all day.

A guy who trains for 30-40 minutes 4 times a week with weights (me for example and I also have sedentary job most of the time) has a much lower ability to burn up extra carbs that say a guy who runs 10km a day, does 2hr marathon gym sessions every day of the week or trains for triathlons or what ever.

No one is saying carbs are bad per se, but too many carbs for your level of activity are definitely bad.

Last edited:
You need fiber Mick

you certainly give me the shits

I must be getting enough fibre, I don't have any problems with my bowels, pretty sure vegetables, and salads contain fibre.

I don't need to fill up on horse feed to get fibre.

I think you are missing the point, saying carbs are the preferred energy source of the body is like saying your car prefers the first half of the tank as it uses it first. Your body is essentially lazy trying to conserve energy as much as possible, so it uses the readily available fuel first, in the absence of carbs the body will use fat as it's preferred fuel.

It's not like that at all. It would be more like a reserve tank on a car. The reserve tank is only tapped once the regular fuel tank is completely empty. Even then, it's still a sloppy analogy as carbs are a much faster acting fuel source than fat. It would be like comparing E85 with regular low grade RON91.

Why would you want to force your body to use a fuel source it doesn't like using? It seems like you're restricting something that could beneficial to your training.

A lot of foods do taste better with some carbs to go along with it. Imagine a kebab with no wrap, riceless curries and fish and chips with no chips

I must be getting enough fibre, I don't have any problems with my bowels, pretty sure vegetables, and salads contain fibre.

I don't need to fill up on horse feed to get fibre.

That's ok then.

im glad you are eating you veg and salad.

It's not like that at all. It would be more like a reserve tank on a car. The reserve tank is only tapped once the regular fuel tank is completely empty. Even then, it's still a sloppy analogy as carbs are a much faster acting fuel source than fat. It would be like comparing E85 with regular low grade RON91.

Why would you want to force your body to use a fuel source it doesn't like using? It seems like you're restricting something that could beneficial to your training.

You're right Steven, the brains main fuel source comes from hydronated carbons (carbs), the reason why it is so important to eat a source of carbs over Protien upon waking

Carbs are not essential but just because you can do it ( eat zero carb) doesn't mean you should.

You could not exsist without carbs, wouldn't happen straight away, but you'de be a very sick camper.

so, carbs are essential me thinks.

Who said anything about restricting carbs??

Like I said from the beginning, eat your requirements in protein and fat then you are free to use the rest of your calories in carbs if you feel the need, it's a pretty basic concept, do anything else and you will either get fat or miss out on gains in your training, no other options really exist.

Some people like to add horse feed into their diet to achieve this I prefer more tasty options.

If you think there is another option please explain it to me.

You could not exsist without carbs, wouldn't happen straight away, but you'de be a very sick camper.

so, carbs are essential me thinks.

How so?

What evidence of this do you have of this?

What sickness would you develop?

How so?

What evidence of this do you have of this?

What sickness would you develop?

Oooh, ok you can give it a go, for the next six months I want you to only eat milk, eggs and meat, that is all.

ill let you have ice cream and Protien powder

Oooh, ok you can give it a go, for the next six months I want you to only eat milk, eggs and meat, that is all.

ill let you have ice cream and Protien powder

You just want him to die :p