• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Excess calories (for the individual) cause obesity

carbs- how much?

as much as you need, some function better on a lot of veg as its carbs that also fuel the brain and repair and biuld muscle tissue

I tend to intake my carbs around training time so I can train longer and harder and generally feel all the more better with it. On rest days I default to low carb because I don't need to bounce around and do just fine with meat and veg, with a protein shake to top it off if I get the urge.

How many studies did you have to read to come up with this? I think this has been common knowledge since the dawn of time.

My mistake, just pointing it out since you made it sound like only carbs making you fat and you have pushed that line of thinking before. Remember sugar is a poison.

How many carbs is dependent on the individual. Are they training very hard every day? Then they will most likely benefit from a higher (relatively) carbohydrate intake. Training only 3 times a week? Then a little lower will probably be better - but not too low, and eaten those carbs around training is also probably a great idea.
No training but just wanna lose some weight because you are a fat arse? Then you dont need as many carbs to fuel that lifestyle. But can you eat them? Sure. Results will likely be similar providing that the necessary caloric deficit (the most important part of the diet) is in place with consistency.

Now you can all argue up and down about it all, but this is most likely the most optimal way to operate.

How many carbs is dependent on the individual. Are they training very hard every day? Then they will most likely benefit from a higher (relatively) carbohydrate intake. Training only 3 times a week? Then a little lower will probably be better - but not too low, and eaten those carbs around training is also probably a great idea.
No training but just wanna lose some weight because you are a fat arse? Then you dont need as many carbs to fuel that lifestyle. But can you eat them? Sure. Results will likely be similar providing that the necessary caloric deficit (the most important part of the diet) is in place with consistency.

Now you can all argue up and down about it all, but this is most likely the most optimal way to operate.
Good post

Makes sense as long as you get your 'must haves' such as protein and fats into your daily intake, before 'wasting calories' on carbs which are not required.

Otherwise even though you might be losing weight but a large part of the weight loss may be attributed to muscle loss rather than the desired fat loss.

Keeping on mind that when most people say weight loss they actually mean fat loss as they are two different things, we can reduce unwanted body fat, yet not lose any significant amount of weight, as lean muscle mass will be added in a lot of cases where resistance training is used as part of a fat loss program.

Remembering that :

- 1 gram of protein contains 4 calories
- 1 gram of fat contains 9 calories
- 1 gram of carbohydrates contains 4 calories

Now consider that it is important to maintain a protein intake of 2 gram per kilogram of body weight daily, and a fat intake of 0.85 gram per kilo of body weight to maintain full normal hormonal function, so how much does that leave you to use up on carbohydrates daily to meet your daily calorie deficit???

These are basic calculations that anyone can do themselves based on their own body weight.

You can even work out our daily calorie requirement based on that most peopel will lose weight at around 18-29 callories per day per kilo of body weight, depending on your activity level.

Last edited:
Makes sense as long as you get your 'must haves' such as protein and fats into your daily intake, before 'wasting calories' on carbs which are not required.

Otherwise even though you might be losing weight but a large part of the weight loss may be attributed to muscle loss rather than the desired fat loss.

Keeping on mind that when most people say weight loss they actually mean fat loss as they are two different things, we can reduce unwanted body fat, yet not lose any significant amount of weight, as lean muscle mass will be added in a lot of cases where resistance training is used as part of a fat loss program.

Remembering that :

- 1 gram of protein contains 4 calories
- 1 gram of fat contains 9 calories
- 1 gram of carbohydrates contains 4 calories

Now consider that it is important to maintain a protein intake of 2 gram per kilogram of body weight daily, and a fat intake of 0.85 gram per kilo of body weight to maintain full normal hormonal function, so how much does that leave you to use up on carbohydrates daily to meet your daily calorie deficit???

These are basic calculations that anyone can do themselves based on their own body weight.

You can even work out our daily calorie requirement based on that most peopel will lose weight at around 18-29 callories per day per kilo of body weight, depending on your activity level.

Things do take a while to get out there. Have you just worked all this out. This stuff as been repeated continuously on the forums over the last decade plus. Often with you arguing against it if I remember correctly.

If you are reasonably active there will be plenty of calories left over for carbs

I dont think we need that much protein to be honest. More is not always better in this case in my opinion.

I think 2gm per kg of lean mass is a better minimum. Which allows more room for more carbs. Especially important when training hard.

If you are truly training hard with weights, and i mean hard, not pissy sets of 12 with 60 seconds rest (no that is not a heavy weight - you cant effectively recover set to set from those reps with a heavy in 60 seconds), yoh WILL need as many carbs in the diet as you can manage within reason.

I dont think we need that much protein to be honest. More is not always better in this case in my opinion.

I think 2gm per kg of lean mass is a better minimum. Which allows more room for more carbs. Especially important when training hard.

If you are truly training hard with weights, and i mean hard, not pissy sets of 12 with 60 seconds rest (no that is not a heavy weight - you cant effectively recover set to set from those reps with a heavy in 60 seconds), yoh WILL need as many carbs in the diet as you can manage within reason.

i agree. I think over the years people have gone a bit overboard in the protein recommendations. Some research showing for natural lifters no benifits over 1.6-1.8kg BW and even as you get more experienced lifting your body is more efficient at using protein so you may need even less.

Ive reduced my protein intake over the years and has allowed a more balanced diet and better performance as far as I can tell.

i agree. I think over the years people have gone a bit overboard in the protein recommendations. Some research showing for natural lifters no benifits over 1.6-1.8kg BW and even as you get more experienced lifting your body is more efficient at using protein so you may need even less.

Ive reduced my protein intake over the years and has allowed a more balanced diet and better performance as far as I can tell.

A study came out a few years ago which recommended 1.5g per kg. The Study was done on Soldiers in the U.S. Army.

Hmm. Training hard has many meanings sure. Heavier is better in my limited opinion and from all my particular reading etc.

Why do I need carbs?? Please explain why I would need to add extra carbs (in the form of oates or bread or what ever) when I am meeting my protein and fat requirements?? Pretty sure there is enough energy in the food I eat every day without purposefully adding additional tasteless carbs.

So you prefer to leave Carbs out as much as possible. Limit Carbs or Zero Carbs?

So you prefer to leave Carbs out as much as possible. Limit Carbs or Zero Carbs?

Well as you would (should) know there are no essential carbs, we need protein and we need fat, once you have consumed your daily requirements in those essentials you can then supplement with horse feed if you like, but personally I prefer more tasty options.