• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

aussienick

Hi all,

Sice i've gone from been told that the next police intake was in July to finding out today the assessment centre is in 6 weeks, i'm in need to quickly get some gains on my running and general endurance. Yes I realise that I should have been focussing on this ages ago, but i'm an idiot so yeah.

ALong with my wieghtlifting (which i'll be focussing more on explosive power, higher rep ranges and minimal rest) i'm looking to follow something similar to the below

3 times a week, 1 distance, 1 interval and 1 speed.

Currently I can do 5km in 30min, Average 6min pace

Run 1 - Interval - 30/120 over my 5km track I run.
Run 2 - Distance - 5km
Run 3 - Speed - 3km circuit as close to 5min pace as I can maintain.

Every 2nd week, the distance run will increase by 1 km, with the idea of week 6 running a 8km by the end.

Week 3 i'll increase my speed run to 6-7km maintaining as close to 5min pace as possible.

Baring in mind I only have 6 weeks to get this under wraps, should I be looking a running more? So runing morning, gym evening) a different running pattern?

After some ideas and tips please guys, my own slackness finds me in this position. I can cream the strength related requirements, it's just the beep test, agility test that are worrying me :(

Thanks in advance guys

What's the requirement to get in? I didn't think it was overly high. I'd do a beep test and see where you're at.

The plan seems sound, I wouldn't pick it up too much as you may do yourself a mischief. You're not totally unfit so it should be relatively easy in 6 weeks

It's a graded scale out of 100 for the entire test, don't start scoring on the beep till level 6, 5 points, level 7 10 points etc etc.

Need to hit 60 point min to get in, i need to hit a 6 to meet the min requirement, but obviously the higher the better my chances are of getting through the competition

Where do you think you're at?
I'd probably do one every 2 or 3 weeks just to get used to it.

I thought 6 was pretty low. Like real low, should be able to get somewhere between 8-10 but it's been a long time since I've done one.

is this vicpol? if so they are all pretty easy to pass and even though graded from what i know its pretty easy to finish in the top 20%

I think 6 from memory is a brisk jog pace wise, haven't done one since taking my knee out last year.

I'll make minimum I know that, it's just been able to get as high as I can since i'll only hit level 3 for the situp test (since feet cannot leave the floor at all and i'm seriously top heavy) so i'll lose marks here.

All I can do is bust arse for the next 6 weeks, and bust arse on the day

not a bad program you have for your running, but purely for a beep test i think interval training would be the best, maybe throw in some hill sprints as well, if you do this everyday it will help you for the beep test but also with endurance, the agility test is only over 1km if that i think....so no need to be doing 5km runs for training specifically for the test.

Sorry [MENTION=8606]Neddysmith[/MENTION] sisn't see your other post, this is for NTpol.

YOu reckon perhaps ditch the 5km distance stuff and sub in additional interval/hill sprints?

thats what i am thinking considering it is only 6wks till you get tested, i would be thinking both interval and hill sprints would improve your overall cardio at a quicker pace initially and considering both the agility and beep test are more stop start type fitness then continuous exercise, i understand the beep test gets quicker and quicker but really someone of basic fitness should be able to achieve 7-8 after that it gets harder....

Wicked, I'll drop the distance stuff and switch in 50m hill sprints, we live on a hill. Sprint up, walk back (as the rest) 5 sets of 4

So

Run 1 - Hill Sprints - 5 x 5
Run 2 - Interval over 5km 30/120
Run 3 - Speed run 3km

Weeks 3 & 4

Run 1 - Hill Sprints - 7 x 5
Run 2 - Interval - 60/160
Run 3 - Speed over 4km

Weeks 5 & 6

Run 1 - Hill Sprints - 5 x 7
Run 2 - Interval - 60/60
Run 3 - Speed - 5km

Each done twice a week, with 1 day off due to hockey. So each week i'll hit interval twice, hill sprints twice and speed run twice.

Practice the beep test, it's a skill. I went up three levels in about as many weeks just by getting my timing right and not wasting energy.

Practice the beep test, it's a skill. I went up three levels in about as many weeks just by getting my timing right and not wasting energy.

Panda is right on the money here.
I was always high 10's, low 11's, until i had one of our coaches explain the 'tactics'. First 3 steps really quick and slow up into the turn. As Panda says, this saves ALOT of energy, which can sometimes give you a few more levels.
The beep test is a level per minute, with more intervals per minute as you go along. If you cant run for 7 minutes, I'd be surprised! I got up to 12-12 at my best, but was still beaten by a few guys who got up over 15 and the coaches told them "ok, you can stop now" haha ( I was about 20kgs heavier than them tho!). Rumour has it that David Beckham and Neil Back have finished the CD!!!

Cheers fellas, ben looking up on the 'tactics' of the run, quick short steps to get off the line, slow down towards the end, lean into the turn, don't over step the line, try be on the beep, not to far in front to avoid wasting energy.

I'll let you all know how I go

Cheers fellas, ben looking up on the 'tactics' of the run, quick short steps to get off the line, slow down towards the end, lean into the turn, don't over step the line, try be on the beep, not to far in front to avoid wasting energy.

I'll let you all know how I go

Any results?

Yesterday I had a really, really let down day. After all the hill and interval runs i've been doing, I thought I'd give myself a run at the beep test.

Now, I didn't have a tape measure, and while I paced as close to 1m as I could, the track could have been anywhere between 19m and 21m. I'm taking it as 20m for the purpose of a trial.

It was hot, over 30c outside and humid, but a bit shady and somewhat of a breeze. On grass.

I warmed up and began the test.

I found I had to jog from the get go, I just couldn't walk fast enough to arrive with the beeps. This was a bit off putting as heaps of people have said you can walk the first level or three....

So, I set myself in and tried to pace my breathing, focus on not beating the beep, arriving dipping into the turn and conserving my energy.

By level 3 I was starting to find my breathing labouring, the speed seemed to be faster than I envisioned and the stop start of the turns was getting harder.

I piked at 4.1, with the speed increase I couldn't keep up with the beep. I feel terrible. I can jog the pace of a level 8 easily enough, but I failed at 4.1!?

I'm thinking there are a few factors that I stupidly put in my way of a decent test. It was hot, much hotter than the test will be, it was 2pm and humid where as the test is indoors in the aircon in the morning. I hadn't intend to do the test so don't think i prepared nutrition and hydration wise correctly. I don't believe i warmed up enough so my knee was sore (it gets fine and doesn't hurt once its warmed up) and my back was tight. I also think i was over stepping on my strides and on the initial turn wasn't hitting short sharp steps to get to speed, hurting my over all performance in a big way. Also breathing, I let my breathing get too raggard.

Also I believe on the day the competitive/ego streak will kick in and, with others running at the same time I'll pace better (first time i ever ran 8km after never running over 5km was a charity run and I had more in the tank at the end, I put that down to having others to run with) as I'll not want to be the first to quit. I'll also not be focusing on the levels and just on maintaining efficient pace. Plus the adrenaline of the day should help.

In a sick way, hitting the 4,1 has given me more drive to push hard these last 3 weeks.

4.1??????????
Thats only running for 4 minutes
Are you sure you measured out the distance properly??
Remember, slow up into the turns, and accelerate out, itll conserve energy to help you hit the higher levels.
Aim for 10 next time mate!

[MENTION=16866]panda[/MENTION] yeah i'm gonna do that, I must be messing up the distance.
[MENTION=8606]Neddysmith[/MENTION] and [MENTION=11621]taurus[/MENTION] yeah I know it pathetic, I really do not know what i've done wrong with the trial I did, I know i'm not the best of runners, but even to me what I got does not seem right at all. Something is wrong.

I am not concerned as on the day i believe i'll hammer it out, but i'll be doing another test run in a day or so and seeing what i get then