• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Did a coconut hit you on the head. Yes you have been suckered into the marketing like everyone else.

Sure you have a saline drip if dehydrated or have an oral reyharation solution if you have the runs. But we are talking healthy people here. And a healthy person does not get deyhdated from drinking plain water.

Not to mention coconut water doesn't have the right balance of electrolytes for optimal hydration wether dehydrated by illness or hard physical exertion, thus it is as good as plain water.

" you will die from drinking plain water and not eating food" thanks for that brain buster. I'm sure no one knew that already. Guess what, you will also die from only drinking coconut water and not eating any food.

Sorry, nothing special about coconut water.

Dr Karl does a pretty good summary for you.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2014/12/02/4140586.htm

coconut water can actually be used IV for dehydration in wilderness medical settings. so no its not the same as plain old water, try sticking that in your veins

not sure i have known anyone to have such an extensive array of incorrect knowledge as you do

coconut water can actually be used IV for dehydration in wilderness medical settings. so no its not the same as plain old water, try sticking that in your veins

not sure i have known anyone to have such an extensive array of incorrect knowledge as you do

Who is IVing coconut water on this site for rehydration. We are talking about drinking it. Not that it's ideal for IV anyway, salts are wrong but don't change the topic.

So here you go.
From the journal of physiological anthropology
[h=1]Rehydration after Exercise with Fresh Young Coconut Water, Carbohydrate-Electrolyte Beverage and Plain Water[/h].......There were no difference at any time in serum Na[SUP]+[/SUP] and Cl[SUP]-[/SUP], serum osmolality, and net fluid balance between the three trials.

sorry buddy. It's you that's wrong.

it must be hard being dumb and not being able to think beyond something you read online

Says the guy who uses the story of a Solomon Islander on deaths door who had used all IV fluids up and the doctor used coconut water as an absolute last resort as proof that we should be drinking coconut water over plain water but the research I post showing drinking it for sports rehydration is equivalent isn't good enough Come on, surely that does not make sense in your head.

ill say it again, who on this site is tossing us between IVing water or coconut water for rehydration after lifting weights.

that was for your benefit, IV coconut water is a well known treatment in wilderness settings. I know this from living in Africa and having met many emergency medicine doctors there.

the fact it can be used IV should tell you something. if it doesn't, stop trying to act smart. if you IV water you gona die

that was for your benefit, IV coconut water is a well known treatment in wilderness settings. I know this from living in Africa and having met many emergency medicine doctors there.

the fact it can be used IV should tell you something. if it doesn't, stop trying to act smart. if you IV water you gona die

Are we talking about IVing coconut water. You can shelve it all day for all I care. But the whole topic is drinking coconut water being better for rehydration.

So you would also know the potassium is too high and sodium too low for an ideal IV solution. If wether you can IV the liquid determines what we should drink why don't you suck on an IV bag all day. That should be ideal.

Since Fadi can't say what in coconut water makes it so super special surely you can.

your so not worth even responding to bazza, on sooo many levels...
you need to get out more and learn what life is really about.

your so not worth even responding to bazza, on sooo many levels...
you need to get out more and learn what life is really about.

And yet you still responded.

Can you fill us all in to the specific thing that is so special about coconut water.

again Fadi you have failed to show anything special about coconut water.
I don't have to show the obvious Barry, that would not only be a waste of my time and yours, but it would also be insulting the intelligence of the good members on Ausbb.

Why bring up coconut oil, wasn't even what we were talking about, don't change the topic.
I was not the one providing the link that had Dr Karl discuss both topic and not just the one. You could have linked to an article that dealt solely with what we're discussing here, however it was your choice and not mine to present an article that was taking a swipe at the whole coconut and not just its water...hence I responded to what I considered to be a biased point of view by Dr Karl. I respect many things Dr Karl talks about, however the man is not infallible..., no one is in fact.

Why not address where the article talks about coconut water and how there is nothing special about it.
Of course there's nothing special about it when you begin to compare it with food, bananas, and potatoes. That was never my argument with you. My primary argument with you from the start (and still remains), the comparison between good old plain water (I take it you mean tap water), and coconut water.

A link to Dr Mercola doesn't help your case. His anti science views, a well known anti vaxer who has been warned by the FDA
You said it, "warned by the FDA", an organisation which I (and millions like me), don't have much respect for.

Please give us some concrete figures of what makes coconut water special.
You are forcing me to sound like a broken record.
Not this alive and dead nonsense
Since when does the difference between alive an dead become nonsensical Barry?

For your information even tap water has small amounts of electrolytes, so where is your electrolyte cut off for calling it alive or dead.
If you read what I actually do write, you won't have to ask so many repetitive questions. I did say earlier to Mick, that I have in my possession a nutrient reader, this device measure the level of electrolytes in a particular food. And since we're discussing the difference between coconut water and tap water (or most spring water available on the market shelves), and their electrical conductivity, we get a result that can not be more obvious even if you force it to be so. Water gets an absolute zero, where coconut water gets the maximum level of electrical conductivity there is. That tells me that one ingredient is alive (causing all the lights in the nutrient measuring device to light up), whilst the other is totally dead with not a single light even as much as flickering...that equals to dead Barry, 100% can not provide the heart with anything to keep it beating. Now if to you that sounds insignificant, with determination to misinform the forum by telling them that there is no difference between tap water and coconut water, so be it. I'm sure the members here are intelligent enough to see the blatant obvious.

51+Mn4qxvOL._SY355_[1].jpg

It contains electrolytes and minerals you can easily get in normal foods.
Barry, your style of circular argument can get very tiring indeed. You throw out there a false premise, that coconut water is not better than water, and base your whole argument on a wrong conclusion...that is, coconut water and water are the same, or one is no better than the other. And if that wasn't enough, you introduce something totally foreign into the argument by mentioning, or making a comparison between coconut water and food...., are you being serious?!

I'll let someone else wishing to debate the obvious take over, as I'm done here.

Last edited:
is this your study bazza? http://www.jissn.com/content/9/1/1

12 people in it, how conclusive

Its not but the one I quotes had similar i think.

But it's pretty funny you bring that up. Because for you multiple research papers with around 12 people isn't enough to say it's the equivilient but a story about it being IVed as a last resort for you means it's better than water to drink. Do you not see the contradiction there.

Thanks Fadi. Nothing special about it.

Fadi do some proper testing. Yes tap water contains minerals.

Last edited:
Its not but the one I quotes had similar i think.

But it's pretty funny you bring that up. Because for you multiple research papers with around 12 people isn't enough to say it's the equivilient but a story about it being IVed as a last resort for you means it's better than water to drink. Do you not see the contradiction there.

already explained where i know it from, i dont need to read studies to learn things..ive actually been out into the world unlike you. its commonly taught in most wilderness medical training. you an expert on that now as well?

iv green coconut water is from war, when people needed the drip and there was none, it was the only thing local that was sterile and worked excellent

its probably the reason its known now in western society, of course natives have known and drank it forever