• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Davepuppies

Puppy Kunce
This may possibly belong in the nutrition section, but thought I would post here.

i haven't trained for a year now, since the birth of my daughter, and got back into the gym this week.

i put on plenty of fat, and got a Dexa scan today to calculate my fat free mass, which was 95.6kgs, 91 Lean tissue.

what would be the right equation to work out maintenance calories for the 91kgs? Will work my deficit from there.

actually surprised I had that muscle muscle left having not trained for a year, eaten like shit. Easy to understand why my body fat got so high though!

This may possibly belong in the nutrition section, but thought I would post here.

i haven't trained for a year now, since the birth of my daughter, and got back into the gym this week.

i put on plenty of fat, and got a Dexa scan today to calculate my fat free mass, which was 95.6kgs, 91 Lean tissue.

what would be the right equation to work out maintenance calories for the 91kgs? Will work my deficit from there.

actually surprised I had that muscle muscle left having not trained for a year, eaten like shit. Easy to understand why my body fat got so high though!
30x91kg of lean bw, with 3 to 4 training sessions per week, comes to 2730 daily calories. It's not perfect, but it's a starting figure from where you can adjust up or down accordingly.

Cheers Fadi.

Is that figure maintanence (sedentary) then caloric burn from cardio or weights to be factored in as deficit alongside what ever reduced number I choose?

Cheers Fadi.

Is that figure maintanence (sedentary) then caloric burn from cardio or weights to be factored in as deficit alongside what ever reduced number I choose?
No Dave, that's for someone hitting the gym twice or thrice weekly sir. For a sedentary person weighing a lean 91kg, try 2400 calories per week. And if you're going all out in the gym (6 days or so training), then you'd be looking at around 3200 calories per week. I hope that would give you a platform from where you can move forward with your calculations.

Last edited:
Just log what you eat for a week. Don't change anything just write it all down.
Take 20% off, decrease calories by 5% if you don't lose 0.5kg in a week, then the next time it happens add a cardio or extra weight session, then back to 5% off etc...

Too easy really

Just log what you eat for a week. Don't change anything just write it all down.
Take 20% off, decrease calories by 5% if you don't lose 0.5kg in a week, then the next time it happens add a cardio or extra weight session, then back to 5% off etc...

Too easy really

Perfect.
lose fat the same way you try to add muscle slow and steady

I had gotten the dexa scan in the hope of getting a more accurate BMR, then wanted to create a weekly caloric deficit of 4000-8000 per week, which should result in 0.5-1 kg loss (assuming a kg of fat is worth 8000 calories)

i understand and and appreciate your perspectives.

I had gotten the dexa scan in the hope of getting a more accurate BMR, then wanted to create a weekly caloric deficit of 4000-8000 per week, which should result in 0.5-1 kg loss (assuming a kg of fat is worth 8000 calories)

i understand and and appreciate your perspectives.

I don't like calculations like this
If you keep a food log and you're not gaining weight week to week- the figure you're getting is going to be ballpark
Take 20% off of that and you're going to be about right

No theorising or philosophising needed

^ That's what I am doing for my cut. Rough calc of 30xBW as a guesstimate, then meticulously logged all my foods on MFP for 2 weeks of steady weight to confirm my true BMR before embarking on deficit.