• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
What is there standing calf raise machine like? I find it hard to get a good pump/workout from some standing calf raises machines. I find I get better results with just a loaded up barbell.

Are they still manufacturing Samson gear?

What is there standing calf raise machine like?

No idea, I have never used one, only seen a photo of one a few years back, would be happy to buy standing and seated, I will have plenty of room in my new gym when completed.

I find it hard to get a good pump/workout from some standing calf raises machines. I find I get better results with just a loaded up barbell.

Have not used too may at all to be honest, I do have an old seated calf raise machine, not sure who made it, but it seems to get a good burn, currently in storage in my shed till the gym is build.

Are they still manufacturing Samson gear?

No unfortunately not, it used to be made in Rydalmere in Sydney, even the weights were cast in their own foundry, then it became cheaper to import the stuff from China than to make it here, so they closed their doors. They used to supply the PCYC's, Police Academy, Military Academy, a lot of sporting clubs back in the day. I remember buying my first bench and set of weights from them back in about 1984, still going strong today.

Pretty sure it will outlast me, and my son is now starting to get interested, so will probably last him for the rest of his life as well.

Last edited:
Remember that Lat Pulldown machine that Mickey was selling. No one was interested so he raised the price to try to stimulate demand :D

Remember that Lat Pulldown machine that Mickey was selling. No one was interested so he raised the price to try to stimulate demand :D

And then it sold, so the joke is on someone else I guess:D

Works every time I remember trying to sell a car a few years ago living in Sydney, had it advertised for weeks for $6200 and had no interest apart from the odd tyre kicker phoning up, put price up to $7500, someone came the next day and offered $7000, which I reluctantly accepted, it's amazing how well it works.

Smith machines make great calf machines too.

Just an FYI for no reason.

Intersting, any instructions on that??

I have a smith machine I never use, only bought it as I got it cheap and the missus uses it occasionally, I am not a fan of them personally.

I see, that would be standing, not seated, but I guess it would work.
Depends what muscle you want to target. Standing will be better for the gastrocnemius, seated for the soleus.

You could still sit in the Smith with a platform/plank of wood and have the bar just behind the knee... probably the only time I'd suggest a towel/bitch pad. Not sure how difficult it will be to rack/unrack the weight if you're doing them heavy either