• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Depends what muscle you want to target. Standing will be better for the gastrocnemius, seated for the soleus.

You could still sit in the Smith with a platform/plank of wood and have the bar just behind the knee... probably the only time I'd suggest a towel/bitch pad. Not sure how difficult it will be to rack/unrack the weight if you're doing them heavy either

That went through my mind as well, I think I want a seated calf raise machine if I can find one.

Squat down until your hams touch your bum,stay there and then raise heals up and down. Voila, seated calf raises.

Couldnt you just sit on a stool or chair (at the smith), rest the bar on the knee and raise the heel?

Depends what muscle you want to target. Standing will be better for the gastrocnemius, seated for the soleus.

You could still sit in the Smith with a platform/plank of wood and have the bar just behind the knee... probably the only time I'd suggest a towel/bitch pad. Not sure how difficult it will be to rack/unrack the weight if you're doing them heavy either

How does that work
are there more than 2

How does that work
are there more than 2
Yes, the gastrocnemius is essentially what you see, the larger outer muscle while the soleus sits behind it. See pic below..but you'll also have muscles in the front of the leg, along the shin

You pretty much rule out gastrocnemius assistance when the knee is bent, so seated half raises and toe presses on a leg press with bent knees for example will target the soleus much more effectively than standing calf raises alone.

I also read something interesting today that I'm going to try and that is doing them barefoot and with the big toe 'flexed'/extended upwards as it creates a better stretch on the muscle.
323de5b53b1b0abcabe9d0d37b4adb49.jpg

Yes, the gastrocnemius is essentially what you see, the larger outer muscle while the soleus sits behind it. See pic below..but you'll also have muscles in the front of the leg, along the shin

You pretty much rule out gastrocnemius assistance when the knee is bent, so seated half raises and toe presses on a leg press with bent knees for example will target the soleus much more effectively than standing calf raises alone.

I also read something interesting today that I'm going to try and that is doing them barefoot and with the big toe 'flexed'/extended upwards as it creates a better stretch on the muscle.
323de5b53b1b0abcabe9d0d37b4adb49.jpg

i want the inside one bigger how to do that

i want the inside one bigger how to do that
The inner muscle or the inner head of the outer muscle?
Increasing the size of the soleus will give more overall size to the calf area but the majority of the definition will come from the gastrocnemius.

You will struggle to increase one head of the muscle more than the other, the shape will essentially come down to genetics but changing the angle of your foot (inwards, straight and outwards) will ensure you're hitting it as best as possible

....waits for the "that's shit, all you'll do is break your knees" responses...

The inner muscle or the inner head of the outer muscle?
Increasing the size of the soleus will give more overall size to the calf area but the majority of the definition will come from the gastrocnemius.

You will struggle to increase one head of the muscle more than the other, the shape will essentially come down to genetics but changing the angle of your foot (inwards, straight and outwards) will ensure you're hitting it as best as possible

....waits for the "that's shit, all you'll do is break your knees" responses...

you know that bally type muscle they all have

how do you know when your hitting it

thanks

you know that bally type muscle they all have

how do you know when your hitting it

thanks
That's the gastrocnemius.
Standing calf raises. Lots of volume and variants. Different weights, rep ranges, foot position etc. Pause and squeeze at the top for 3-5 seconds

still looking for one, so if there is one out there message me and I will come and pick it up.

Surly people don't like these any more...