• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

fqqs

From Monday, because of my new job, I'll have to workout early in the morning. I have time for 45 min workouts (at most). I like MAX-OT philosophy and wonder if the following routine makes sense to you

atm my numbers are:

squat 140kg x 6
deads 170kg x 5
bench 110 kg x 4

(only working sets listed)

mon - back

deadlifts 2x4-6
weighted pullups 2x4-6
bb rows 2x4-6
shrugs 2x4-6

tue - chest

flat bench 2x4-6
incline bench 2x4-6
dips 2x4-6

wed - legs

squats 3x4-6
leg press 2x4-6
sldl 2x4-6
leg press calf raises 3x6-8
seated calf raises 2x6-8

thu - arms

bb curls 3x4-6
db curls 2x4-6
ez bar extensions 3x4-6
pushdowns 2x4-6
wrist curls 3x6-8

fri - shoulders, abs

seated bb press 3x4-6
side db raises 2x6-8
rear db raises 2x6-8
cable crunches 3x8-10
leg raises 2x8-10

Thanks for any suggestions

One body part per workout is a terrible idea
you could fit in a full body workout or at least an upper/lower split in that time and spend less days in the gym

Last edited:
you could fit in a full body workout or at least an upper/lower split in that time and spend less days in the gym

If you're doing a full body workout in 45 minutes it's not going to be good for much other than a pump.

If you're doing a full body workout in 45 minutes it's not going to be good for much other than a pump.
I see you've never done it
it can be done with excellent results, far better than one body part per workout which is probably the worst way to do it

Pretty much.

at least drop "arm" day.

and bench and dip in the same workout is not a good idea.

generally you are just trying to fit too much in, just use one of the multi joint movements as a focus, adjust as you go along, start a log

Then when you're a bodybuilder, then you can do all the fancy smancy shit.

it can be done with excellent results, far better than one body part per workout which is probably the worst way to do it

Working an addreviated full body workout hard takes time to master, to get conditioned and hurts like hell, you get more than a pump.

someone once said: to get in shape you must first be in shape.

One body part per day is overkill imo, and there aren't enough days in the week, depending on how you group you muscles. But unless you're doing a full body workout every day I think it would be hard to fit enough volume in a reasonable window of time, and training a muscle daily is not optimal long term, for me anyway. I know a week is an arbitrary time frame but for the sake of argument. Imo the small amount of volume required per muscle group to complete a whole body workout in 45 mins is insufficient volume to make gains long term. Yes, I know volume and frequency are a trade off but I think you would have to increase the volume and decrease the frequency before too long. I think the optimum is probably somewhere in between. Frequency and volume are, for me, hard competitors to balance as 4 or 5 sets for a body part feels insufficient even though I know cumulative volume over time is important.

One body part per day is overkill imo, and there aren't enough days in the week, depending on how you group you muscles. But unless you're doing a full body workout every day I think it would be hard to fit enough volume in a reasonable window of time, and training a muscle daily is not optimal long term, for me anyway. I know a week is an arbitrary time frame but for the sake of argument. Imo the small amount of volume required per muscle group to complete a whole body workout in 45 mins is insufficient volume to make gains long term. Yes, I know volume and frequency are a trade off but I think you would have to increase the volume and decrease the frequency before too long. I think the optimum is probably somewhere in between. Frequency and volume are, for me, hard competitors to balance as 4 or 5 sets for a body part feels insufficient even though I know cumulative volume over time is important.
What can I say, I've pretty much tried it all over the past 34 years and the times I was exclusively doing full body workouts were the only times I've been accused of using roids. :D
The beauty is that you work the muscles more often but spend less time in the gym.
I admit it took me a long time to get over the mindset that you need multiple exercises and multiple sets for a given body part but once I did it was liberating.

Last edited:
Pretty much.

at least drop "arm" day.

and bench and dip in the same workout is not a good idea.

generally you are just trying to fit too much in, just use one of the multi joint movements as a focus, adjust as you go along, start a log

Then when you're a bodybuilder, then you can do all the fancy smancy shit.

Drop arm day?
Drop arm day?
:eek::eek::eek:
has the world gone mad?

What can I say, I've pretty much tried it all over the past 34 years and the times I was exclusively doing full body workouts were the only times I've been accused of using roids. :D
The beauty is that you work the muscles more often but spend less time in the gym.
I admit it took me a long time to get over the mindset that you need multiple exercises and multiple sets for a given body part but once I did it was liberating.

I can imagine it would be liberating. I will give it some more consideration.

I like MAX-OT philosophy and wonder if ...
What you like is one thing, what you're aiming to achieve (your goal), might require something different from that which you like. Putting the cart before the horse is to (often) do what we like instead of what needs to be done. So rather than make a comment based on your philosophy's preference, I'd wait to hear from you what it is that you like to achieve. A bitter medicine is not what we like to take, however the doctor knows what to prescribe for you based on what you need instead..., even if it might be a bit bitter initially. Thanks.

What you like is one thing, what you're aiming to achieve (your goal), might require something different from that which you like. Putting the cart before the horse is to (often) do what we like instead of what needs to be done. So rather than make a comment based on your philosophy's preference, I'd wait to hear from you what it is that you like to achieve. A bitter medicine is not what we like to take, however the doctor knows what to prescribe for you based on what you need instead..., even if it might be a bit bitter initially. Thanks.

That is a good point sir!

My goal at the moment is to get nice physique and get stronger. I don't plan competing in any way. I just want to look good and stay fit. I have white collar job so it is even more important to me (sitting for 8h a day).

My current numbers are

140kg x 6 in squat
170kg x 5 in dl
110kg x 4 in bench press

I weigh 85kg, my height is 175cm. I consume around 200g of animal protein and the rest are carbs and fats so im around 3000 kcal a day. I eat wholegrains, olive oil, broccoli, asparagus, oats, eggs, chicken

I will workout at 7 am. My work starts at 8 so I have 45 min for workout and 10 mins for quick shower. My office is located very close to the gym. Here in Poland getting up at 6 am in winter is really pain in the ass but I will manage as I have proved in the past.

That is a good point sir!

My goal at the moment is to get nice physique and get stronger...
Ok thank you for the reply, I appreciate it. To get stronger without necessarily getting bigger muscles, the low repetitions will see to that. However if you wish to add more size (in the way of volume to your muscles) instead of just some muscular density (in the way of myofibrillar hypertrophy dominance training) that comes with the lower reps (which you seem to favour), then perhaps a slightly different approach may be preferable to you sir, and that approach would afford you the ability to increase your muscle glycogen storage (volume) through the inclusion of some higher repetitions, where sarcoplasmic hypertrophy would balance your previously dominant myofibrillar focused workout.

So yes, it may be bit of a bitter pill to swallow if I'm asking you to increase your repetitions from 4-6 (which you prefer), to a more inclusive and a more balanced rep range of (say) 8-10. Here the dominance would shift to more of a muscle metabolic stress training, over one that is focused on either muscular strength or muscular endurance. Isn't that what you want when you say you wish for a nice physique that is also strong?

45 minutes is plenty of time to get one hell of a workout. We can discuss that later. I wish you all the very best.

Last edited:
I have been doing an almost identicle split for the past two months. My diet is basically what nutrition Australia recommend. High vegetable and carb intake, some protein and dairy, very little fat.

I dropped 10kg, am close to having a six pack, added size to shoulders, arms, upper back, dropped pant size to 32. I would suggest it to anybody considering dropping weight and getting that 'beach body'

aesthetically Max OT is great when combined with a good diet.

Squat/bench.

Deadlift/overhead.

Squat/bench.

Simple and works better than most people think. Hits more muscle than most people think too.

I have one mate in particular who trains in PL only.

His program for the last 2 years?

Squats.
Bench.
Deadlift.

Trains basically daily...
Just cycled his reps from with all 3 exercises. Does one a day.
6x6
7x5
8x4
10x3

Day 1 squats.
Day 2 bench.
Day 3 deads.
Day 4 bench 5x10 (lighter).
Day 5 squats
Day 6 bench.
Day 7 deads.
Day 8 bench 5x10 (+1kg).

This is what he has done for 2 years....body was 56kg. Now 92kg and fairly jacked. Probably 20% bf haha. But he wasnt lean at 5kg either.

He'd probably look better than most of the wannabes around the commy gyms if he just spent 2 or 3 months cutting. Lol.

Oh and his numbers?
200/130/240....
Looks good and is stronk like ox.

Squat/bench.

Deadlift/overhead.

Squat/bench.

Simple and works better than most people think. Hits more muscle than most people think too.

I have one mate in particular who trains in PL only.

His program for the last 2 years?

Squats.
Bench.
Deadlift.

Trains basically daily...
Just cycled his reps from with all 3 exercises. Does one a day.
6x6
7x5
8x4
10x3

Day 1 squats.
Day 2 bench.
Day 3 deads.
Day 4 bench 5x10 (lighter).
Day 5 squats
Day 6 bench.
Day 7 deads.
Day 8 bench 5x10 (+1kg).

This is what he has done for 2 years....body was 56kg. Now 92kg and fairly jacked. Probably 20% bf haha. But he wasnt lean at 5kg either.

He'd probably look better than most of the wannabes around the commy gyms if he just spent 2 or 3 months cutting. Lol.

Oh and his numbers?
200/130/240....
Looks good and is stronk like ox.

Im thinking of going back to doing something very similar. I have seen great results from Max ot but need to change things up. Volume I think is the key. I do sets of 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 then three of 4-6. So the volume is there. Add I do at that twice or three times for each muscle group and there is plenty of reps.