• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
S

Stiffy

"The ideal squat ends around parallel. This puts sarcomeres in a position to produce the most tension and force.

Admittedly, a majority of research studies suggest deep squats are more effective and healthier on the joints than partial squats or parallel squats. These results are to be expected when comparing deep squats to partial squats. However, the fact that deep squats have been shown to be safer and more effective than parallel squats can be attributed to one factor – faulty research and flawed application of practical training methods."

https://www.t-nation.com/training/real-science-of-squat-depth

I knew ATG Squats can be bad but always thought below parallel was the ideal Squat depth. So the bro's had it right all along?

It's a debate that will go on forever.
I've had no issue doing ATG for years.
Altered gait???? F*ck me, melodramatic much?????

Haha, next they'll be trying to tell us that the 'ideal' row and bench ends when the elbow reaches the chest, and that stiff legged and romanian deads are the same. Good 'ol tnation delivers!

I've had no issue doing ATG for years.

What about your Erectile Dysfunction? I thought you attributed that to ATG Squats? Or was that [MENTION=13432]WoodyAllen[/MENTION]; ?

Anyway, I'm guessing I'm paranoid. Coz of my dodgy knees everytime any kunce says anything about Squats I wonder if that's why my knees ache :(

Isn't there always going to be maximum force when at 90 degrees? When you go below parallel and start closing the angle again the force will decrease but that doesn't mean it's bad for you. Just like stopping with say a box squat, it's more difficult to get up at that point of maximum force than if you were stopping right down in the hole.

I'll still always do ATG squats though, even if they do cause me trouble downstairs

I still think this is pretty accurate.

http://ausbb.com/showthread.php?t=27066

to me the full squat (ATG) is the most result producing exercises ever invented, the trick is to do them right, do them wrong you fuck your self up.

the other variations are primarily a quad exercise, the (ATG) squat is a whole body movement that stimulates growth like no other exercise.

to be able to do them safely there needs to be no movement of the lower back and hip, that's why most stop short, I think it mainly due to the design of the hip.

if you are unable o go ATG you need to find exercises that safely strengthen the butt, hamstring and low back, because the half squat will do shit.

That article is crap. Just another writer trying to make a better mouse trap, writing to fill space.

Powerlifters don't do ATG squats, unless they make a huge mistake. Olympic lifters do, as the bar is always in front of the body. With powahliftahz the bar is behind the body, on the back.

Try it in the gym next time. Do a front squat then a back squat. The front squat will always be much deeper, unless you are ghay with zero mobility.

This just plays into the bro lifters who think half squats are the bomb.

To back up my rating for this article, just have a scroll back through previous articles where the exact opposite is promoted, mostly by people who have a clue, not like "Joel Seedman, PhD".

Not sure why he has a basic powerlifter depth squat at the head of the article. I guess cos no one ever does true ATG back squats. Mind you, some feds would call that an ATG squat cos they never hit parallel. Helllllllooooo Dave Hoff.

That article is crap. Just another writer trying to make a better mouse trap, writing to fill space.

Powerlifters don't do ATG squats, unless they make a huge mistake. Olympic lifters do, as the bar is always in front of the body. With powahliftahz the bar is behind the body, on the back.

Try it in the gym next time. Do a front squat then a back squat. The front squat will always be much deeper, unless you are ghay with zero mobility.

This just plays into the bro lifters who think half squats are the bomb.

To back up my rating for this article, just have a scroll back through previous articles where the exact opposite is promoted, mostly by people who have a clue, not like "Joel Seedman, PhD".

Not sure why he has a basic powerlifter depth squat at the head of the article. I guess cos no one ever does true ATG back squats. Mind you, some feds would call that an ATG squat cos they never hit parallel. Helllllllooooo Dave Hoff.

Whachoo talkin' about Woody? 'Sif this aint ATG brah....

Whachoo talkin' about Woody? 'Sif this aint ATG brah....

Gotta be more lik dis.........

article-2210482-154508DD000005DC-837_634x760.jpg

Based on my experience with squats, deep squats..., the only time a squat can cause a problem is when the lifter bounces out of that low position, multiplying the force placed on the patellar tendon and lower back many folds over. Otherwise, it's a more natural movement when one squats deep, instead of forcefully applying the breaks on the way down (to stop at a parallel position), which has its own problem causing along the side of the thighs.

Last edited:
Based on my experience with squats, deep squats..., the only time a squat can cause a problem is when the lifter bounces out of that low position, multiplying the force placed on the patellar tendon and lower back many folds over. Otherwise, it's a more natural movement when one squats deep, instead of forcefully applying the breaks on the way down, which has its own problem causing along the side of the thighs.

Can you elaborate on this - I'm assuming this is an uncommon but potential injury (as every exercise has)? Is one benefit of ATG squats (ROM etc. aside) not the rebound found at the bottom of the hole?

Can you elaborate on this - I'm assuming this is an uncommon but potential injury (as every exercise has)? Is one benefit of ATG squats (ROM etc. aside) not the rebound found at the bottom of the hole?
This injury is common with Olympic weightlifters whose pulling power is not the best, forcing the weight cleaned to bury them deep in the hole, leaving them no option but to bounce (usually more than once) to free themselves out of that deep position. At the time when the adrenaline is pumping, one does not feel the damage, however later on at rest, all comes back to haunt tat lifter. The patellar tendon tear more than often occurs in competition, and you can hear the pop/tear! I don't understand the second part of your question Repacked.