• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
053aec5aaf7ad28c07595802697848ab

A bodybuilder’s death from cancer was a ‘direct cause’ of taking steroids, an inquest heard. Picture: Facebook

The Sunnews.com.au

• Email a friend

A BODYBUILDER’s death from cancer was a “direct cause” of taking steroids, an inquest has heard.

Fitness fanatic Dean Wharmby died on July 19, five years after falling ill.
Coroner Lisa Hashmi issued a warning for others after ruling the tragic 39-year-old’s misuse of anabolic steroids was responsible for his untimely death.
04dd60838f9568eaa03dc478eed460f7

Fitness fanatic Dean Wharmby died in July, five years after falling ill. Picture: FacebookSource:Facebook

Delivering the verdict, she said: “I find on the balance of probabilities that in such a fit, health-conscious young man the most probable cause of his liver tumours was the misuse of anabolic steroids.
“To my mind, there is a direct, causal link with Dean’s death.
“Dean’s death and the precious loss of such a young life in such circumstances ought to send out a very clear message to all those involved in the body building and fitness industries. Use of anabolic steroids, which is apparently rife throughout, is not without inherent risk.
“I would urge all those using and abusing such drugs to reconsider their position and ask whether it is really worth it given the life-threatening risks.”
53d891796ad1bbd96f7d13d7e2d8936c

The coroner issued a warning for others after ruling on the tragic 39-year-old’s misuse of anabolic steroids. Picture: FacebookSource:Facebook

The inquest was told fitness fan Mr Wharmby, 39, of Rochdale, Lancashire, in the UK, first developed health problems in 2010, when multiple tumours were found in his liver.
The dad of one, who had taken steroids for about a year, later developed liver cancer.
His partner Charlotte Rigby said that when she first met Mr Wharmby eight years ago, she had suspicions he had used steroids because of his muscular build, but said when they got together in 2010, he was trying to stop taking the drugs.
d6f44896f2e971fbcce73253b74b649c

Dean Wharmby lies dying in his hospital bed. Picture: FacebookSource:Facebook

She told the inquest: “Being big was what everyone knew Dean for.
“I didn’t know the ins and outs, but I knew a lot of people who were using it. It was the done thing because of the benefits people could see with their bodies.”
After Mr Wharmby, who, at his heaviest tipped the scales at 127kg, developed health problems Charlotte said he stopped taking steroids and embraced spiritual healing methods such as reiki and natural medicine.
Mr Wharmby and Ms Rigby chronicled his battle with cancer on a Facebook page called Dean’s Journey, which attracted thousands of followers.
The inquest heard towards the end of his life he was taking 200 natural remedy tablets a day.
In July he was moved to Springhill Hospice, where he died.
The inquest found that two falls he suffered at the hospice had no bearing on his death and Ms Rigby and Mr Wharmby’s father, John Wharmby, paid tribute to the “excellent care” he received at Springhill.
f19be71a19eeae8c4441393bad5bc386

Fitness fanatic Dean Wharmby before he fell ill. Picture: FacebookSource:Facebook

In a bid to achieve his bodybuilder’s physique, Mr Wharmby survived on a 10,000 calorie-a-day diet of burgers, pizzas and bacon sandwiches — washed down with seven to eight cans of energy drink.
Speaking in March he speculated that his diet may have been responsible for his illness.
He said: “It was because I was trying to be as big as possible. I can’t say it was the diet for sure, but things like the energy drinks could be contributing factors. Red meats — all things we have found out have so many impurities in them now.
“I think it was a combination of it all.”
When he became unwell five and a half years ago, he was offered chemotherapy and a liver transplant but turned them down in favour of natural remedies.
He said: “I refused it from day one. The main reason why I chose to do natural instead of artificial was because I wanted to live. I didn’t want to die.”
This article originally appeared inThe Sun

I thought usually people wait in line for a liver (or whatever organ) transplant if needed, not refuse it when offered!

When he became unwell five and a half years ago, he was offered chemotherapy and a liver transplant but turned them down in favour of natural remedies.
He said: “I refused it from day one. The main reason why I chose to do natural instead of artificial was because I wanted to live. I didn’t want to die.”

Says it all really.

It wasn't the red meat or soadeeee pop that damaged his liver. I'm assuming it
was the oral AAS he was popping like candy