• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I only compete to wear the skin tight lycra suit. You can tell what religion I am, and if I pull a PB, well, lets just say that people think I am pointing out the broken skylight.

And dem glutes. Mmmmmm Hmmmm.

Um. OK. We seem to have a poor attitude to competing.

It does not matter what size you are or what your total is. Let's face it, winners get a medal painted gold, silver or bronze which gets tossed into a drawer after and never seen or used again. Unless you put it around your gf's neck and watch it bounce away.

You don't get paid. You don't get a sponsorship deal. You don't become a TV presenter. You don't become rich and famous. You don't "break the internet". At best you get a few "well done"s by the boys at the gym the next day you train and that's about it.

Lets face it. For the average person, the only non Australian olympians we can remember can be counted on one hand. Especially if you discount the infamous ones that got pinged for using drugs.

Competing is about beating yourself, pushing yourself beyond your limits and putting yourself on a platform where your efforts will be judged strictly according to very precise criteria. Unless you are in one of "those" feds. You know. There is a huge difference between hitting a PR in the gym and getting the same at a comp.

You can turn up at a comp, get one good attempt in on each lift and win gold, really just by turning up, because you happen to be the only person in your age and weight category that turned up. Or everyone that turned up is a first timer. It happens.

So you have to examine why you compete. It should be to better yourself, to beat your last PR or total, to improve and better yourself. I have set national records and been disappointed because I knew I could do better. I have done PR's and they have been lost in the crowd. In the end, its about self satisfaction. Beating yourself.

So don't be one of those guys who will compete "next year" or "when I get a decent total". Join up, look at the calendar and enter a comp 3 months down the track. Thats all you gotta do. Oh, and go beat the crap out of yourself at the gym to make it all happen.

I'm not interested in spending a great deal of time and money to go to the city to compete in a sport where I'd have the lowest total in my weight class by several hundred kilos. Therefore I'm only interested in the comps that our club runs.

PA actively discourage any new lifters from doing so by charging that amount for membership, plus an 'approved' soft suit and the cost of competing, nor do they do anything at all to support our local club apart from listing our comps on the website. We can't even get commercial sponsorship because of the rules.

I've also noticed a distinct lack of interest from any city lifters in going to comps out of the city as well.

I think it's BS, so I'm not giving PA any more of my money until there is a compelling reason to do so.

I've been there and competed in our comp last year to say that I did, in a flight of 6 lifters, and I won my weight class for turning up and not bombing. Even got on the back page of the local newspaper and on the local TV news. Had a total of 0 spectators apart from family/friends of those competing.

Better book under your alias Woody. Fuck em.

Disguise.jpg

Last edited:
This shit has me super pissed off. Ive spent a good amount of time with Sir Ed Coan. He is a fucking legend of a bloke. Made a few mistakes and broke a few rules 25 years ago and is still being dicked around for it.

Its fucked.

This shit has me super pissed off. Ive spent a good amount of time with Sir Ed Coan. He is a fucking legend of a bloke. Made a few mistakes and broke a few rules 25 years ago and is still being dicked around for it.

Its fucked.

He was a very naughty boy:

Coan has failed drug testing through the IPF three times. He was temporarily suspended in 1985 for the use of Deca-Durabolin, an anabolic steroid.In 1989, he was suspended due to a positive drug test.
In 1996, at the IPF Men's Open World Championships in Salzburg, Austria, he tested positive again and was issued a lifetime ban from the IPF. Because this positive drug test occurred in a competition in which he placed first, his name and results have been retroactively removed from the 1996 results.

But he is also most probably the best powerlifter ever to grace the sport, even if you take off 20% for drug use. And not a big guy either.

Last year supertraining.tv with Mark Bell (Mr Slingshot) made a podcast with him. It was quite informative and entertaining, though Coan did dodge the question about the IPF ban.

20%? Nah. But thats another conversation.

He really dislikes talking about the ban. Ive been told he feels like he was targetted. So many drug tests during his career.

To pretend he was the only one is silly. ALL of thr lifters able to compete with him would all be quilty also.

And today? The top guys even in the ipf would be taking more or worse things than Coan. He's a scapegoat, that is all, and its bullshit.

To dissallow your lifters the opportunity to meet, befriend, and learn from the GOAT is just absurd.

Their fed, their rules. All feds have some dumb shit. Like in GPC, those cheap crappy belts you can buy which are thin leather but have 1/4" padding on the back aren't allowed, but the big thick munty ones are allowed - and which, honestly, gives more support? And you can't have 1/4" squishy padding on your belt but you can have two yards of torniquet-tight wraps on your knees? And this is not equipped lifting? Yeah okay.

It's stupid, but their fed, their rules. All feds have something dumb, you just choose the one with the dumb stuff you can deal with. I prefer the dumb stuff of GPC to the dumb stuff of PA, others may feel differently. It's also to do with the people involved, some feds are more welcoming, others try to be exclusive.

as powerlifting is a multi-fed sport, coan should do jus fine getting people to turn up from many, many feds.

Personally, I think it is a silly rule.

Their fed, their rules. All feds have some dumb shit. Like in GPC, those cheap crappy belts you can buy which are thin leather but have 1/4" padding on the back aren't allowed, but the big thick munty ones are allowed - and which, honestly, gives more support? And you can't have 1/4" squishy padding on your belt but you can have two yards of torniquet-tight wraps on your knees? And this is not equipped lifting? Yeah okay.

It's stupid, but their fed, their rules. All feds have something dumb, you just choose the one with the dumb stuff you can deal with. I prefer the dumb stuff of GPC to the dumb stuff of PA, others may feel differently. It's also to do with the people involved, some feds are more welcoming, others try to be exclusive.
What is silly about the knee wraps? And they are 2.0m in IPF and 2.5m in GPC