• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Not planning on competing, jumping ship, giving it up...?

Don't see the point in paying $165 to get nothing apart from a membership card and the ability to compete in our local comp. Maybe if I ever get a total that is competitive on a national level I'll go back to competing. Training stays the same though, and I'll stay a member of our local club.

I wouldn't join any other federations unless they merged into one drug tested one.

Last edited:
Ill be renewing with PA this year and competing in atleast 3 meets minimum starting in march.
Probably head off to nationals for a laugh too, then top lifter later this year if i can get an invite.

The local comps here in wollongong dont look like they will happen, unless my gym picks them up. The guy previous looks like his gym is going to go under. I guess thats what happens when you only open 3 days a week for a couple of hours...then go off on holidays and not leave any of the members a key...for 3 weeks.

Yeah it may be worth it if you go to a lot of comps, I find the PA experience a bit paltry compared to other sporting organizations that I'm a member of.

@rino; I should add I plan on losing 20 odd kg again this year, so not really conducive to competitive powerlifting either! If you're interested, our local comp is on the 27th of Feb (depending on anyone entering).

Bozo+Sticker.gif

Last edited:
Don't see the point in paying $165 to get nothing apart from a membership card and the ability to compete in our local comp. Maybe if I ever get a total that is competitive on a national level I'll go back to competing. Training stays the same though, and I'll stay a member of our local club.

I wouldn't join any other federations unless they merged into one drug tested one.
Yeah, I get where you're coming from.
Yeah it may be worth it if you go to a lot of comps, I find the PA experience a bit paltry compared to other sporting organizations that I'm a member of.

@rino; I should add I plan on losing 20 odd kg again this year, so not really conducive to competitive powerlifting either! If you're interested, our local comp is on the 27th of Feb (depending on anyone entering).
Yeah, I reckon you might find it hard, but good luck with it nonetheless!

Ill be renewing with PA this year and competing in atleast 3 meets minimum starting in march.
Probably head off to nationals for a laugh too, then top lifter later this year if i can get an invite.

The local comps here in wollongong dont look like they will happen, unless my gym picks them up. The guy previous looks like his gym is going to go under. I guess thats what happens when you only open 3 days a week for a couple of hours...then go off on holidays and not leave any of the members a key...for 3 weeks.
I'm keen to try and jump to PA at the end of the year or beginning of next to try to qualify for and (just for the experience) attend Nationals 2017 - which I imagine would be at the Arnold again...

I'm keen to try and jump to PA at the end of the year or beginning of next to try to qualify for and (just for the experience) attend Nationals 2017 - which I imagine would be at the Arnold again...
What weight class are sitting in?

U74 if PA.
You'll need a B grade total for PA nationals. 420kg for you.

525 for me if stay in the 105's, or 500 if i drop to 93.

Imo, these qualifying totals are all rather low. Should be A grade. 480, 565, 600 respectively.

PA do not compete at the Arnold. Their Open Nationals is usually held in one of the the city hotels. The Pacific Invitational is usually held at the fitness expo, not the Arnold.

Juniors and Masters Nationals are usually in June or August.

Yeah, I get where you're coming from.

Yeah, I reckon you might find it hard, but good luck with it nonetheless!

I've done it before, I used powerlifting as the justification for letting myself go. Also no point competing in 120+ unless you're REALLY big.

Um. OK. We seem to have a poor attitude to competing.

It does not matter what size you are or what your total is. Let's face it, winners get a medal painted gold, silver or bronze which gets tossed into a drawer after and never seen or used again. Unless you put it around your gf's neck and watch it bounce away.

You don't get paid. You don't get a sponsorship deal. You don't become a TV presenter. You don't become rich and famous. You don't "break the internet". At best you get a few "well done"s by the boys at the gym the next day you train and that's about it.

Lets face it. For the average person, the only non Australian olympians we can remember can be counted on one hand. Especially if you discount the infamous ones that got pinged for using drugs.

Competing is about beating yourself, pushing yourself beyond your limits and putting yourself on a platform where your efforts will be judged strictly according to very precise criteria. Unless you are in one of "those" feds. You know. There is a huge difference between hitting a PR in the gym and getting the same at a comp.

You can turn up at a comp, get one good attempt in on each lift and win gold, really just by turning up, because you happen to be the only person in your age and weight category that turned up. Or everyone that turned up is a first timer. It happens.

So you have to examine why you compete. It should be to better yourself, to beat your last PR or total, to improve and better yourself. I have set national records and been disappointed because I knew I could do better. I have done PR's and they have been lost in the crowd. In the end, its about self satisfaction. Beating yourself.

So don't be one of those guys who will compete "next year" or "when I get a decent total". Join up, look at the calendar and enter a comp 3 months down the track. Thats all you gotta do. Oh, and go beat the crap out of yourself at the gym to make it all happen.

Um. OK. We seem to have a poor attitude to competing.

It does not matter what size you are or what your total is. Let's face it, winners get a medal painted gold, silver or bronze which gets tossed into a drawer after and never seen or used again. Unless you put it around your gf's neck and watch it bounce away.

You don't get paid. You don't get a sponsorship deal. You don't become a TV presenter. You don't become rich and famous. You don't "break the internet". At best you get a few "well done"s by the boys at the gym the next day you train and that's about it.

Lets face it. For the average person, the only non Australian olympians we can remember can be counted on one hand. Especially if you discount the infamous ones that got pinged for using drugs.

Competing is about beating yourself, pushing yourself beyond your limits and putting yourself on a platform where your efforts will be judged strictly according to very precise criteria. Unless you are in one of "those" feds. You know. There is a huge difference between hitting a PR in the gym and getting the same at a comp.

You can turn up at a comp, get one good attempt in on each lift and win gold, really just by turning up, because you happen to be the only person in your age and weight category that turned up. Or everyone that turned up is a first timer. It happens.

So you have to examine why you compete. It should be to better yourself, to beat your last PR or total, to improve and better yourself. I have set national records and been disappointed because I knew I could do better. I have done PR's and they have been lost in the crowd. In the end, its about self satisfaction. Beating yourself.

So don't be one of those guys who will compete "next year" or "when I get a decent total". Join up, look at the calendar and enter a comp 3 months down the track. Thats all you gotta do. Oh, and go beat the crap out of yourself at the gym to make it all happen.
This. Exactly this.

Im so fucking sick of hearing cowardish guys (yes its only fucking guys. Girls get on the platform with the strength only for 200@75 and they dont care! They have started and had a go) say "when im strong enough" or when i hit 'x' total, or im waiting until i hit 100kg bw. Whatever you pussy fucks. Guess what? Those things will never happen. There will inevitably be someone stronger, or bigger or whatever at every comp.

Pb's are what matter. Unless you are in the top tier, the top 1% of the lifting pop, then beating yourself is all that will ever matter. Hell there are even guys in that 1% who take on this attitude and you see them at each comp increase thier total by 5-10kg and are happy as fuck.

If you want to compete, then pull on a funny suit and compete. Dont wait...or itll never happen.