• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Ok yep it's a little bit more granular than that - you can train PA lifters and coach them, but you can't coach them at a comp, only spectate am I right? And likewise, when you run GPC comps, they can't help out at all with spotting or loading?

My point was more about training with fellow PA lifters and coaches - I guess if someone is hell bent on training at a non PA gym and getting coached there fair enough, but when it comes to comp time, they will still need a coach who is PA, or do it themselves, nor can they really be a part of the non PA comps there.

As for equipment, that's good that you choose to supply IPF style equipment in your gym, though the stuff we use is fairly generic, unless you're going to get anal about using bars, plates and stands off the IPF approved list.

I really can't comment about the city based PA gyms and their choice of equipment, I would say that they don't really want to attract non PA lifters, or they would.

Last edited:
Eleiko bars are not generic. Especially at $1800 a pop.

As far as coaching on the day, at least locally, it's a non issue. All the PA meet directors up in QLD are fairly understanding and helpful.

That said, if you have done your job right as a coach, I'm not sure what needs to be done on comp day except attempt selections, which I can do from wherever I am.

PA lifters often help out at my meets, and are allowed out the back to coach their lifters. I have many photos of top PA lifters doing so.
I have no issue with it, PA does.

There are also MANY PA members that are also members of GPC.
I used to even have a separate database of GPC's PA members so it wasn't posted on the GPC site as PA would get mad....... But I have since stopped that as it's not my problem or responsibility. If you choose to compete in such a restrictive fed, then that's your choice as a lifter/coach.

Aside from the comp bar, you don't *need* to have Eleiko bars - we use ABC ones for training.

I'm surprised that your PA lifters haven't gotten in trouble about that sort of stuff, given that Wilkes' view on other feds is fairly well known, and it's written explicitly in the regulations. I guess it's up to the lifter if they want to risk being kicked out.

Yep, it is up to them, and they all know PA's rules.

Everyone just agrees that they are stupid, and if wilks wants to kick them out, they will happily lift elsewhere.

To be honest, I have no idea why a coach or business owner would align with PA, it is far to restrictive.

You already know why coaches and business owners align with PA - it's been discussed in excruciating detail in other threads about differences in feds. It's also why as much as I think PA is its own worst enemy with regards to encouraging people to take up powerlifting as a sport, or even promoting it, I wouldn't join another federation.

Our gym isn't commercial, and we don't pay to be an 'official' affiliate. We still can't run non sanctioned comps though, which I find utterly ridiculous.

Eleiko bar feel much stiffer than the ABC bars. and definately feels completely different to any generic bar.

hehehe [MENTION=9189]canned tuna[/MENTION]

I asked about this too, and was told that since they don't have WADA drug testing, it does not count as 'substantially similar'.
Someone must be telling porkies - the below is taken from the ADFPF (Australian WDFPF) page:

The ADFPF strictly tests according to the guidelines as set out by the WDPFF and World Anti Doping Agency and their current Prohibited Substances Lists. The ADFPF uses the Australian Sports Drug Testing Laboratory for all drug testing.

There is evidently more in their charter and the subordinate documentation, but still - unless they are fibbing, you've been led on.

Just cos their constitution says "no to drugs, bitchuz", does not mean they follow through. As far as I know, GPC has a no drug rule but never ever tests for it (happy to be corrected though).

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the same goes for CAPO, PTC, etc. I'm not criticising them for that, just pointing out that just because a fed says they are "WADA tested" means diddlysquat. I noticed that the ADFPF has a drug test results page with nothing on it. Ahem.

http://australiandrugfreepowerlifting.com.au/about-2/drug-control/drug-test-results/

Anyhoo, I'm happy to be corrected but as far as I know, the only Australian powerlifing fed that is regularly tested with random and targeted comp tests and the occasional out of comp test is PA.

Just cos their constitution says "no to drugs, bitchuz", does not mean they follow through. As far as I know, GPC has a no drug rule but never ever tests for it (happy to be corrected though).

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the same goes for CAPO, PTC, etc. I'm not criticising them for that, just pointing out that just because a fed says they are "WADA tested" means diddlysquat. I noticed that the ADFPF has a drug test results page with nothing on it. Ahem.

http://australiandrugfreepowerlifting.com.au/about-2/drug-control/drug-test-results/

Anyhoo, I'm happy to be corrected but as far as I know, the only Australian powerlifing fed that is regularly tested with random and targeted comp tests and the occasional out of comp test is PA.
At the last competition I attended, there was testing - but how rigorous and random/targeted it might have been, no idea.

They certainly wouldn't be coming to my house to test me though, I would think that beyond their means...

It would be good if we were allowed to compete inter-fed though, since the ADFPF seems to have most of their comps over in the Riverland, and we struggle to get competitors to ours.

At the last competition I attended, there was testing - but how rigorous and random/targeted it might have been, no idea.

They certainly wouldn't be coming to my house to test me though, I would think that beyond their means...

What fed was that?

Every test PA or another group send off for testing costs about 3K all said and done. I believe there are only one or two labs in the country certified to undertake this testing.

ADFPF has a policy to test 10% of lifters at WADA labs.

Ratio of testing not that dissimilar to PA if we go on recent data and number of lifters in PA.

Obviously PA is a lot bigger than other fed, so number of tests much greater.