• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

BrisVegasGhost

Elite Member
Knee been playing up for about 4 weeks. Haven't done any leg work during this time. Doc seems positive I have Patella Tendinopathy. Just a slight ache across the front of knee and knee feels slightly unstable.
Started me on a course of anti inflammatories and off to the physio on Thursday for further examination and treatment

Any one had this before and did it take long you long to cure the issue.
Cheers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patellar_tendinitis

Yes. Fuck physio.

Get a PRP shot and when it starts to feel better do
some light sled work. Don't know what it is about
the sled but after a week or so of doing this my knee
feels better

I have been dealing with it for >2 years.
It also depends on how long you ignored it to begin with. I foolishly completely ignored it for the initial 6 months of slight pain.

Tried PRP to no success, tried physio to some success.

Constant battle to keep it maintained.
Also anti-inflammatories are merely a stop-over measure, they don't actually help to heal the tendon.

If you know nothing, a good physio is definitely your first stop. If you are determined, you can also learn a lot form the internet.

I have been dealing with it for >2 years.
It also depends on how long you ignored it to begin with. I foolishly completely ignored it for the initial 6 months of slight pain.

Tried PRP to no success, tried physio to some success.

Constant battle to keep it maintained.
Also anti-inflammatories are merely a stop-over measure, they don't actually help to heal the tendon.

If you know nothing, a good physio is definitely your first stop. If you are determined, you can also learn a lot form the internet.

Physio has helped improve things over the last 4 weeks. They gave me these band exercises to work my ass and also more rolling out of the quads. They have also got me doing body weight squats on a 45 degree angle/ramp at a really slow controlled pace. Has helped a great deal as pain has completely gone.
Still a few more weeks of light strength work until I start building the weights up.

Got multiple prp injections without much success.

Had as plenty of physios promise they could fix it. Never had one succeed, they had plenty of time to try.

My advise would be don't touch the the anti inflams for tendinitis. I'm sure they made mine worse in the long run but I didn't have a choice in taking them at the time. Mine wouldn't improve until I got off them.

Total rest won't help it. You need to do something but not too much that you are going backwards. Sled drags work great. Band exercises for supposed muscle weaknesses and rolling didn't do anything for me.

Eccentric single leg squats on an incline board 3x a week seemed to be the right load for me. Stopping when i started to feel pain

Eccentric single leg squats on an incline board 3x a week seemed to be the right load for me. Stopping when i started to feel pain

Yes this is exactly what they have me doing at the moment. Started off on both legs then gradually putting more body weight onto the problem leg.
It is making improvements. I couldn't get through a day walking around work with some ache or pain. Pain is gone but can still feel it a little when the knee cap area is pressed.

I get that on my right knee cap. It feels very tender to touch on the bottom edge, less so across the front, not on the top.

It all goes back to my quad muscle. Hot spots are between the IT band/vastus lateralis and the front quad muscle, rectus femoris.

http://www.britannica.com/science/quadriceps-femoris-muscle

Get your thumb and dig in there between the front of the quad and the side. You will find some sore spots on the rect muscle. It is attached to the hip under some other band-like muscles then runs down your leg to attach to the patella. Get a golf ball or your thumb and find the hot spots and press like buggery, rubbing them as well. You want them to relax and let off the tension to you patella.

You may also find some hot spots under the knee at the top of your calf muscle.

One physio or ART appointment won't do it. You need to do it every day, not just on leg day either.

I don't know the full story of your condition but it most probably does not need anything invasive, just some work on your quad. Make sure you stretch your quads out well every day, once they are warmed up from a walk or run or leg work.

Check this out:

Last edited:
I get that on my right knee cap. It feels very tender to touch on the bottom edge, less so across the front, not on the top.

It all goes back to my quad muscle. Hot spots are between the IT band/vastus lateralis and the front quad muscle, rectus femoris.

http://www.britannica.com/science/quadriceps-femoris-muscle

Get your thumb and dig in there between the front of the quad and the side. You will find some sore spots on the rect muscle. It is attached to the hip under some other band-like muscles then runs down your leg to attach to the patella. Get a golf ball or your thumb and find the hot spots and press like buggery, rubbing them as well. You want them to relax and let off the tension to you patella.

You may also find some hot spots under the knee at the top of your calf muscle.

One physio or ART appointment won't do it. You need to do it every day, not just on leg day either.

I don't know the full story of your condition but it most probably does not need anything invasive, just some work on your quad. Make sure you stretch your quads out well every day, once they are warmed up from a walk or run or leg work.

Check this out:

Thanks woody, pretty much what you have mentioned they have me doing. You definitely feel it when you hit those hot spots.

I have been to him 3 times now and have been consistent with rehab work, stretching, strengthening exercise etc.. After my hand injury from last year this Rehab is a walk in the park!

In no pain any more when walking but still can feel it when pressing lightly on knee cap. This could take up to 2 months to completely disappear. So the quads have suffered in size a bit as they haven't been worked for about 8 weeks...but I am getting some nice diamond shaped calves!
Cheers

I got it checked out almost straight away. Had in both knees for close to 7 years. Sometimes it's just bad and depending on circumstances doesn't want to go away. I couldn't even drive a car for more than 10 minutes at one stage.

The things the worked for me was prp injections but I spent a fortune getting them
sled drags
getting off anti inflams.

Things that didnt work
trigger point
rolling
stretching
eccentric squats
acupunture
chiro
vmo exercises
rest
tens machine
some other bullshit machine, some quack offered to treat me for free, because they promised they could fix it then I could pay.
Heaps more I can't remember

What's tha cause of the pain exactly?
inflammation of the tendon, muscle?
is it a mechanical issue?
is there swelling around the knee Barry when there's pain.
just interested

not sure about Baz but I had no swelling myself and no real inflammation. The cause of it I think is these tanks at work I was working on. They are about 80 feet high and have these dome/cone roofs. So walking on these strapped to a harness was awkward to walk on. I had been working on these tanks for or about 8 weeks. The physio said this could have caused it as uneven surfaces can aggravate the knee.

So far my rehab has been: Rolling out quads,
having a band strapped around my ankles and doing a crap like walk down the hall way. Hits right in the glutes in the rear pocket area. fuck this burns.
Standing against a wall with a ball jammed between my knee and wall and raising the leg slowly like a leg curl. same thing hits the ass cheeks.
Standing on my crook leg and bending to about 15 degree then locking out...ultra slow.
45 degree squat...not going past 90 ...ultra slow

I was also strapping my knee cap over the first 2 weeks which helped. My first visit the physio applied a light pressure and held my knee cap over and had me perform a squat. I could do this pain free.
If all this doesn't help at least my ass cheeks should look better.

Out of curiosity how much are the prp shots Baz.
Cheers

Have had it for a while now. Finally got it into a state where it isn't killing me all the time.
Managing two leg days every 10 days which is good.
Maintaining a vertical shin in almost every movement has helped so much.
Had a period of around 8 weeks initially where I just couldn't train the knee.
Rest, Ice, Compression every night has been excellent.
Had to buy better supportive walking shoes, and strapped for a while too.

Been about 10 weeks now and no quad work. Starting to get paranoid and feel like one of those guys that never do leg work! The calves are popping but really starting to notice the size disappear off the quads.
Physio wants to give me another 4 weeks on rehab/light strength work before I stat doing squats. Fark injuries and getting old.

I've had it in my left knee for 33 years now due to catching the cleans all those years ago. Wrapping just under the knee with tape first, then bandage on top would stabilise the patella before squatting. Much more pressure is placed on the patella during front squats instead of back squats, and lifting the heels (as in wearing a weightlifting shoes) also adds to that pressure.

I've had it in my left knee for 33 years now due to catching the cleans all those years ago. Wrapping just under the knee with tape first, then bandage on top would stabilise the patella before squatting. Much more pressure is placed on the patella during front squats instead of back squats, and lifting the heels (as in wearing a weightlifting shoes) also adds to that pressure.

They have had me strapping/tapping my knee. Just over the top of the knee cap and tapping it so it pushed the knee cap over slightly. This did help a lot at work as I am on my feet all day....(work in construction) up and down ladders/scaffold etc.

But it feels like I can not fully activate the right quad, like on leg extensions at light weight I can notice that feeling/pain over the knee cap region.

Does it ache at random times? Like sitting in the car etc
Cheers