• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I think you are at a pretty good all round level at the moment.

Obviously you will have learned to prioritise your work ethic by now

On the programming level
I have enjoyed 'periodised ' or varied rep ranges, based on a template from a helpful member on here

My advice, linear rep schemes can be too stale in the long run and only focus on one aspect of strength

And 531 is probably too minimalistic

Cheers tuna I'll have search around, there's a lot of shit to sift through to find something half decent.

Oni; without entirely justifying myself to you and filling you in on my entire history. I've squated more than that but those are realistic numbers that I can do any day.

This is your hobby. You obviously have a good base knowledge to get some decent lifts. My tip is lift the way you enjoy to lift. The way you progress is consistent hard training, the way to do that as someone who does it for a hobby is lift the way that is enjoyable to you. Who gives a fuck what works for someone else if youre hating every second of your training.

Work hard and and train consistently and you will get strength gains.

This is your hobby. You obviously have a good base knowledge to get some decent lifts. My tip is lift the way you enjoy to lift. The way you progress is consistent hard training, the way to do that as someone who does it for a hobby is lift the way that is enjoyable to you. Who gives a fuck what works for someone else if youre hating every second of your training.

Work hard and and train consistently and you will get strength gains.

Quoted for truth.
As a hobby, yes you want results, but you also want to enjoy lifting! If not, the novelty wears off very quickly. Don't be afraid to try lots of things and keep mixing up your programs.

I thought 5/3/1 was the be all and end all, until I was convinced by another (far better) powerlifter than myself that it didn't have enough volume, so I switched to doing Candito's 6 week. Had mad gains on squat and deadlift, but couldn't stick to also benching 3 days a week, so my bench consequently is still shit.

I've also been looking at the RTS method and Sheiko meme programs, because I don't like the C6W method of training 2 weeks of 5 days a week then 2 of 4 etc.

I also realised that Jim Wendler writes a lot of contradictory shit, and tries too hard with the macho crap.

Since I train for powerlifting for actual strength, rather than moving more weight in comps, I don't do 'cheaty' things like sumo deadlifts, super wide bench grip or equipped lifting. You may or may not want to become a better powerlifter, I would suggest getting a coach if you are, because like 0ni said, there's a lot more to it than you might think!

Some of you guys are progressing great, so I'm hoping for some advice.
I need a new program, general strength and some hypertrophy. I'm not a powerlifter or anything obviously.

Currently cutting for the next couple months and doing full body while I figure out what to do.
Stats:
Squat 180
Bench 110
Dead 200
Ohp 80

Thanks

This might be for you;

Three days a week, carefully note the schedule.

Monday
Bench Press
Narrow Grip Bench Press
Dumbbell Row
Plate Raise

Thursday
Bradford Press
Hise Shrug
Dumbbell Curl
Wrist Curl

Friday
Squat

Two 2 day breaks. A lot of road work and eating can be done on four off days. Get busy.

Or if you do multiple sets and above 5 reps moving quickly between exercises less road work would be required.

Boz I've heard of candito but haven't seen his programs, how did you like it?

Silverback, what's road work? And not to be a dick but that doesn't appear to be a great setup

@panda; it has worked amazingly for me - turns out on 5/3/1, despite doing several versions of it, I just wasn't working hard enough. The program is on his website http://www.canditotraininghq.com/free-strength-programs/ like I said, I lack the discipline and time to go to the gym 5 days a week, so I'd skip the extra bench days, and consequently not had much improvement with it. In the first cycle I squatted 212.5x3 and had a massive nosebleed, in the second I squatted 220x3 no worries. My deadlift went from ~185-220. YMMV.

My fellow lifters don't think it's all that great compared to RTS or Sheiko, but they're also pretty set in their ways. Can always download the Excel, plug your numbers in and see how you go after a cycle.

Last edited:
@panda; it has worked amazingly for me - turns out on 5/3/1, despite doing several versions of it, I just wasn't working hard enough. The program is on his website http://www.canditotraininghq.com/free-strength-programs/ like I said, I lack the discipline and time to go to the gym 5 days a week, so I'd skip the extra bench days, and consequently not had much improvement with it. In the first cycle I squatted 212.5x3 and had a massive nosebleed, in the second I squatted 220x3 no worries. My deadlift went from ~185-220. YMMV.

My fellow lifters don't think it's all that great compared to RTS or Sheiko, but they're also pretty set in their ways. Can always download the Excel, plug your numbers in and see how you go after a cycle.

That's impressive gains man, 35 kilos on deads is nuts

Last time I buckled down for 12 weeks, I gained 7.5 sq, 7.5 b, 20 DL
Am pretty set in my ways usually. Not even old. Just stubborn

That's impressive gains man, 35 kilos on deads is nuts

Last time I buckled down for 12 weeks, I gained 7.5 sq, 7.5 b, 20 DL
Am pretty set in my ways usually. Not even old. Just stubborn

Honestly I think it underlined just how much I wasn't working hard enough on 5/3/1, especially after training for 2+ years. Can still only bench 120 properly though.

Boz I've heard of candito but haven't seen his programs, how did you like it?

Silverback, what's road work? And not to be a dick but that doesn't appear to be a great setup

It's perfect

Again, what matters is picking a plan that allows you to perfect the movement and systemically increase volume over a long period of time. That's all Sheiko, Westside, RTS or any other system is

I thought 5/3/1 was the be all and end all, until I was convinced by another (far better) powerlifter than myself that it didn't have enough volume, so I switched to doing Candito's 6 week. Had mad gains on squat and deadlift, but couldn't stick to also benching 3 days a week, so my bench consequently is still shit.

I've also been looking at the RTS method and Sheiko meme programs, because I don't like the C6W method of training 2 weeks of 5 days a week then 2 of 4 etc.

I also realised that Jim Wendler writes a lot of contradictory shit, and tries too hard with the macho crap.

Since I train for powerlifting for actual strength, rather than moving more weight in comps, I don't do 'cheaty' things like sumo deadlifts, super wide bench grip or equipped lifting. You may or may not want to become a better powerlifter, I would suggest getting a coach if you are, because like 0ni said, there's a lot more to it than you might think!
I've given 5/3/1 a couple runs for its money. The second shot at it was more successful than the first (in that my top end strength didn't go backwards), but overall my assessment is, as you say, that it's just not enough volume (or, more to the point, it's not enough relevant volume). Where I did see my biggest improvements on 5/3/1 was in the assistance work, but the main lifts either stagnated or went backwards. There are a lot of good things I can say about the program, but the most important goal of the program -- to get stronger on the squat, bench press, deadlift and overhead press -- is also the part of the program that gets the least real work done.

I also agree about the macho crap.

Are you a pro athlete. If yes listen to your coaches. If no just train the way you most enjoy. This is a hobby and sticking long term is the way to get results.