• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Surely the bloke doing quicker reps will reach the short term goal sooner and be able to up the weight?

The first thing I looked at there were the pictures of Coleman and Kon...
it is obvious to me that (and I've stated this before many times) you cannot make a draft horse out of a race horse and visa versa.

they both "train" towards a perceived ideal.

The differance between the two are dictated by how they look.

kon, has a very powerful looking physical body, Coleman could be just as strong but in some movements he would be unable to generate the same power or torque, due to his design.

So then if in 3 months time one bloke is lifting 100 x 10 and the other is lifting 75 x 10 at the slower cadence, who is stronger?

So then if in 3 months time one bloke is lifting 100 x 10 and the other is lifting 75 x 10 at the slower cadence, who is stronger?

This is were you miss the point.

"all things being equal"

In your little scenario, the bloke moving 70kg at a slower pace could possibly be stronger.

I guess I'm looking at lifting from a viewpoint of an older person, I'm looking back at my mistakes and things I've tried.

which really is the key here, for me that being trial and error, I don't think I'm elite, genetically I think I'm pretty average, I'm no body builder, I'm no powerlifter.

im pretty average like 95% of the population

I don't think I'm missing the point, it was a genuine question.
Who is stronger? And without them both testing a 1rm, how do you tell which is stronger?
Is a 1rm the only method of testing strength? Perhaps for a powerlifter but what if you're not?

I don't think I'm missing the point, it was a genuine question.
Who is stronger? And without them both testing a 1rm, how do you tell which is stronger?
Is a 1rm the only method of testing strength? Perhaps for a powerlifter but what if you're not?

To answer that you would first need to ask yourself why YOU workout?

Do you want to compete, in both events?

Or are you a "lifting hobbyist" that appreciates aspect of both sports?

Both train very differently, both looking at different outcomes.
as I've stated many times.

Although occasionally, one comes along that just excell in both, but that's not because of their training and eating practices.

Again that comes back to being subjective, if your into powerlifting, you look for that look, you are drawn to it, much like music, ac/dc versus Justin bieber, both plays the blues, just variations of it.

Here's another comparison, and we all love crossfit.

who is stronger?
and again all things being equal.

10 pull-ups
10 Kip's ?

one uses no momentum

I agree, no brainer
I would also assume the guy that can do them strict would also be able to knock out more than the kipper if they went to failure (strict or with momentum/kipping)

Good read. This is an interesting point.

Sure, people naturally gravitate toward what they're good at.

In the world of strength training, those with a greater predisposition for strength will be more inclined to train like or become a powerlifter, while those with a greater predisposition for size will be more inclined to train like or become bodybuilders.

Powerlifting has more to do with leverages, the nervous system, and technique refinement, while bodybuilding has more to do with aesthetics, symmetry, muscularity, and conditioning.

Strength is dependent on plenty of factors, but tendon insertions play a huge role in the ability to exert maximal force.

Let's use a biceps curl as an example. Say you're curling a 60-pound dumbbell and you're halfway up at 90 degrees and moving very slowly.

To figure out a general estimate of muscle force requirements of the biceps, you divide the moment of the resistance arm by the length of the muscle arm.

This means that you multiply the resistance (60 pounds) by the resistance arm (say 15 inches from the elbow to the dumbbell) and then divide it by the muscle arm (say 1 inch from the elbow to the biceps insertion).

This would give us 900 inch-pounds, a measure of torque. In this example, the biceps must produce 900 inch-pounds of force.

What happens if the individual's biceps tendon inserts 2 inches away from the fulcrum? Now you divide by 2 instead of 1, which means that the biceps now only has to produce 450 inch-pounds of force to hold a 60-pound dumbbell at a 90-degree elbow angle.

This demonstrates just how advantageous tendon insertions are to external force production - two guys could have equal strength in their biceps but one can lift twice the amount of weight due to his leverages.

I've never seen any difference Alex.

The way I see it, is a muscle must becomes bigger to facilitate strength.

How that is achieved will vary from one person to another, if you're getting bigger and stronger, then something you are doing is right (for you).

This industry is fad based, the methods are quite simple, made complex by experts.

That is true, but when I am maximising just my ability to lift weight, I'm making the muscles work as little as possible that's for sure
Just because of my general higher than average strength, my strength goes down in off season phases but I am stronger at repping

That is true, but when I am maximising just my ability to lift weight, I'm making the muscles work as little as possible that's for sure
Just because of my general higher than average strength, my strength goes down in off season phases but I am stronger at repping

That's interesting, that's going to make me think, thank you

Last edited: