• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Sandin Face

Have any of you lot had experience with "Dupuytren's contracture"?

I first noticed the annoying little lump in July.

I haven't been doing any lifting since before that time (due to an unrelated medical issue), but it gets annoying pushing a lawnmower, so I would imagine it wouldn't be too good when trying to hold a bar with a bit of weight on it.

Any helpful or encouraging information would be very gratefully received.

I have this, in the left hand.
it's either hereditary or bought on by alcoholism, my brother has it also, it is traced back to the vikings.

my brother needed surgery, we have both had it about the same time, his is in his right hand, he's right handed, I'm a leftie.

my finger is still straight, it does get irritated after heavy lifting, I wonder if my finger is still straight as a result of this.

Never heard of it. Can the adhesion be broken down to return movement?

Only by surgery, but I wonder, I like to think heavy lifting has made a difference, people laugh at this, and i keep stretching the hand, it hurts sometimes but I think this also helps.

... it's either hereditary or bought on by alcoholism ... it is traced back to the vikings ...

Yes, well - guilty on both counts, in my case.

Sorry about yours - but at least it puts me in respectable company. :D

... I like to think heavy lifting has made a difference, people laugh at this, and i keep stretching the hand, it hurts sometimes but I think this also helps.

That's the sort of thing I was after (short of a miracle cure, which doesn't seem to be on offer) - a ray of hope.

I believe! :)

A Happy Ending

Well, I can close this case.

My physio seconded my self-diagnosis of Dupuytren's, but my GP thought it was a "ganglion" (those mysterious lumps [usually on the wrist] that you're supposed to get rid of by thumping them with a heavy Bible). I was sent for an ultrasound.

Turns out it was neither. It was a clear bubble, about 3-4mm across, probably of fat, not attached to anything. Neither the radiographer (the person who actually does the ultrasound examination) nor the radiologist (the doctor who makes the diagnosis) had seen its like before. The doc actually came down to have a look himself!

A month or two later, and it had shrunk away.

So, despite my over-indulgence at the mead cup, and in the sin of Onan, I have got away with this one!

Last edited: