• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Repacked

Punxsutawney resident
So...there are hundreds of threads about which belt to buy, 10 or 13mm, single/double prong or lever etc on the internet and everyone has a different opinion; at the end of the day a hundred differing opinions are of little assistance. I'm interested in the opinion of cats on this forum who have lever belts (particularly Inzer Forever) in 10 or 13mm, and especially if you have used both. My questions are -

Does anyone who bought a 13mm feel they should have gone for a 10mm?

Does anyone who bought a 10mm feel they should have gone for a 13mm?

How long did your 13mm take to break in?

Are there any weights or lifts that you have found either belt unsuitable for?

If you have used both which is your preference and why?

Anything else relevant?

Note: I am not interested in people's opinions about the merits or detriment of wearing belts.

I have a 10mm Inzer lever, and haven't ever felt as though I should have gone with a 13mm. That said, I'm not a huge guy shifting massive poundage.

Perfect for my squats and overhead press. I don't use the belt for Deadlifts, as for me it just doesn't sit right when I'm deep in my setup. And truth be told I prefer to deadlift beltless anyway.

If it helps, I'm roughly 87kg, 6 ft tall, and probably 15-16% bf at best. Bought a Medium size. Not a great deal of overlap, with the lever set 3 holes back (from memory), but this ensures the belt sits neatly and isn't clumsy to put on. Expect if I'd gone with a large it would have resulted in a fair bit of overlap.

Hope that's of some help.

OK. Here we go.

10mm, cos I compete and that is the maximum allowed. I train like I compete (to depth, not dropping the weight, touch chest, etc) so no point having a 13mm. So my choice is more to do with logic than function. That said, I don't see the point of a wider belt as it would get in the way with deep squats. 10mm is more than enough if you use it as intended (to force your mid section out and hold it, not to "save your back".)

So, no, I never wish I had a 13mm belt.

I use a Toro lever belt so zero break in time. You only need to break in a belt with prongs as they can be real difficult to do up and undo with a stiff new belt. The rest of the belt you want as stiff as reasonably possible to do the job.

Powerllifting belts are not suitable for Olympic lifting. Thats due to the much deeper squat they do with snatches. They need a thinner belt to avoid pinching against your ribs and hips. Also, being a raw lifter, they don't add anything to a bench press as your air is not being pushed into your gut, for bench it goes into your upper chest.

Also, I only use my belt for my heaviest work sets in three of the the big 4 (squat, deadlift, overhead press) as I don't find them necessary for accessories. You can if you wish, I just don't bother. It just kind of gets in the way and I look awesome and pretty without a belt, or a string singlet, douchebag baggy hat and skinny jeans.

I considered both a single prong and double prong belt because apparently to use anything else at elitefts made you ghay. But after trying on all types the lever belt was soooooo much easier to use, quicker and very secure. I don't frig around with "loose belt on warm ups, tight belt on max sets" so a lever is just fine. If I drop weight I can adjust the belt without too much bother, and vice versa.

Curious @WoodyAllen; IPF rules state max thickness of 13mm?

No, he made that up.

page 14 of the rule book

Dimensions:
1. Width of belt maximum 10 cm.
2. Thickness of belt maximum 13 mm along the main length.
3. Inside width of buckle maximum 11 cm.
4. Outside width of buckle maximum 13 cm.
5. Tongue loop maximum width 5 cm.
6. Distance between end of belt and far end of tongue loop maximum 25 cm.
Correct Points of Measurement:

No, he made that up.

page 14 of the rule book

Dimensions:
1. Width of belt maximum 10 cm.
2. Thickness of belt maximum 13 mm along the main length.
3. Inside width of buckle maximum 11 cm.
4. Outside width of buckle maximum 13 cm.
5. Tongue loop maximum width 5 cm.
6. Distance between end of belt and far end of tongue loop maximum 25 cm.
Correct Points of Measurement:

That's what I'm saying...

Let me re-phrase that -

I am curious [MENTION=13432]WoodyAllen[/MENTION];, you state a max of 10mm whereas IPF rules state a max of 13mm on page 14 of the rule book. How can this be? I am now questioning all sorts of things I had previously come to accept as constants in my life.

Yours sincerely,

Confused.

Let me re-phrase that -

I am curious @WoodyAllen;, you state a max of 10mm whereas IPF rules state a max of 13mm on page 14 of the rule book. How can this be? I am now questioning all sorts of things I had previously come to accept as constants in my life.

Yours sincerely,

Confused.

Better

The purpose of the question is to determine whether the extra thickness is beneficial or could actually be a negative.

How could it be a negative?
The thicker the more rigidity.

Why don't you venture out of your bedroom and go to a powerlifting gym?

How could it be a negative?
The thicker the more rigidity.

Why don't you venture out of your bedroom and go to a powerlifting gym?

The whole reason I asked the question is because there are so many conflicting opinions. Some people rave about their 13mm Forever, others complain it never 'breaks in'. They may just be soft, they may not be wearing it correctly, they may be right. Comfort is a factor.

Unfortunately my agoraphobia doesn't allow me to get out of my bedroom very often. I find it easier and safer to sit behind my computer eating Big Macs and talking as though I lift. All pics of me have been pulled off the internet. How's your theoretical lifting career going?

fat_guy_3_24214826.jpg

Sorry for the confusion. That was a typo, misread and generally stuffed up.

IPF rules are:
Belt width is a max of 10cm.
Belt thickness is a max of 13mm.

I was thinking you were asking about a belt width of 13cm. Not a thickness of 13mm vs 10mm.

My belt is a 10mm thick laminate. I find it to be more than thick enough. I have no regrets.

#yolo.

Further to that, if you are wanting a belt just for training, you will find the thicker one a real pain in the arse. I have used both and the thicker one gave me no more support but was much more uncomfortable and difficult to use. Just my 2c.

I was thinking you were asking about a belt width of 13cm.

baby-shocked-face-02.jpg

Further to that, if you are wanting a belt just for training, you will find the thicker one a real pain in the arse. I have used both and the thicker one gave me no more support but was much more uncomfortable and difficult to use. Just my 2c.

This is the sort of info I am looking for. Thank you.