• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
yep as much as I didn't want to believe it when younger some just have the genetic gifts.

Just google shaq or leBrons kids playing high school basketball like the other kids are all spastics.

In saying that most never work hard enough to see their genetic potential, myself included.

That is an interesting statement a good statement, the highly skilled people or the gifted are often viewed as lazy or they make "it" look easy.

training is something that must be done often (repeatedly) the degree of which is dependent upon how gifted you are and your competition...you and I would need to work real hard, I know I didn't, I did work hard in the gym, but I'm telling you now, that does not transfer to the sport played.

That is an interesting statement a good statement, the highly skilled people or the gifted are often viewed as lazy or they make "it" look easy.

training is something that must be done often (repeatedly) the degree of which is dependent upon how gifted you are and your competition...you and I would need to work real hard, I know I didn't, I did work hard in the gym, but I'm telling you now, that does not transfer to the sport played.

I am going to disagree with that. Not the number 1 factor but the work I did in the gym transferred to sport pretty well. My footy improved a lot when I started gym work and still helps it today.

I am going to disagree with that. Not the number 1 factor but the work I did in the gym transferred to sport pretty well. My footy improved a lot when I started gym work and still helps it today.

It help me in that it (I believe) enabled me to run faster longer, more conditioned, but it didn't make me a more skilled player.
Having said that i believe it helped my kicking in that I made me a lot more flexible, so in that you are right, the stuff I did in the gym did improve the raw material.

It help me in that it (I believe) enabled me to run faster longer, more conditioned, but it didn't make me a more skilled player.
Having said that i believe it helped my kicking in that I made me a lot more flexible, so in that you are right, the stuff I did in the gym did improve the raw material.

It made you faster and a better kick yet somehow that isn't improving your skills for a sport where kicking and speed are valuable skills. Ok.

yep, I just laugh at talk about genetics. absolute wank despite telling one bleeding obvious.

I had no talent at 100m. was only running 13 seconds at 17.

But, I read and learned about best way to train, and got down to 11.2, 22.5 and 50.4 through hard work.

Reality is that, whether you have it or not, you need to train a quality way for any sport you aim for: powerlifting, running or whatever.

Genetics will take care of itself.

It made you faster and a better kick yet somehow that isn't improving your skills for a sport where kicking and speed are valuable skills. Ok.

Yep I ran faster for longer.

i might have kicked longer but it didn't improve my accuracy that is a skill.

Riptard kool-aide: 3x5 is so magic that if you do more reps than that it's totez dangerous and ineffective and if you do less reps than that you need to decrease the weight by 10%; squats are a hamstring exercise and shooting your bum up into the air is what your glutes are good at; if you do more than 1x5 deadlifts you'll burn out; upper back exercises exist only to make your bench press improve and not because training your upper back is a good idea in its own right; rows and RDL's aren't useful if you're a beginner; if you gain 10lb in your first two weeks of barely training it will be lean; if you aren't stronger this week than last week it's probably because you aren't eating enough and not because the body has limited adaptation capabilities; you definitely need to build a strength base before you ever do any intentional hypertrophy training even though strength is the product (not cause) of muscle mass.

If you follow the program by the book, you'll end up with needlessly disproportionate adaptations. If you take what's good about it and modify what's not so great, you'd better not mention it to anyone (especially anyone on the internet) or else you will be condemned by the most damning 5-letter acronym: YNDTP. You'd be better off committing treason -- people will respect you more for it.

140/100/180 kool-aide: These aren't really PTC standards, even though they were used in one PTC program. They were around long before PTC, and they were just as arbitrary then. They're good goals to chase after, but they tell literally nothing about how much you've progressed or what sort of programming will be best for you. It doesn't factor in natural talent/genetic variance or competence. So everything that matters for building a context into which we could coach or program someone's training is ignored. So, while they are great achievements to make, they are essentially meaningless, until we go ahead and ascribe some special importance to them. Which we do on the internet. We ascribe a lot of importance to these numbers. Way too much in fact, as if a man's value as a human being depends on him being able to lift this much.*

And that's why I'm emphasising the kool-aide here. I'm not offended at all the Rippetoe has a gym and some books, or that a lot of guys are encouraging each other to lift 2, 3 and 4 plates. I'm fine with that. It's the ideology that comes with it all, that people really do get caught up in, and that I certainly got caught up in (thus why I'm listing it as a mistake I made when I first got into powerlifting).

*Yes, I know it's powerlifting. Being able to lift as much as possible is important to the sport. But making an ideology out of how much you lift is some seriously messed up culty shiz, and using weight on the bar rather than the lifter's actual progress, needs and proficiency to determine whether or not they're a beginner is just silly.

Most of these are not even Rippetoe, it's just his moronic followers that invented this

Most of these are not even Rippetoe, it's just his moronic followers that invented this
If it were important enough to me (it isn't) I could dig through and find examples of at least most of these thoughts coming from Rip's mouth/pen. But yeah, it is his followers who go full retard and turn everything into an absolute.