• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
Given a Heavy Duty Concrete Floor,What is the Minimum size Shed for a Pretty Good Gym?

What would be your Minimum Equipment?

Any Innovative Ideas?

Guesstimated Cost?

There's a picture of a garden shed gym on Sam's fitness website in the testimonial section, "Daniels home gym", hard to tell the size from a pic but I'm guessing it's at least 3 x 4 m, it's well set up for the space provided.

Going back and looking at the pics I mentioned earlier I'd say the shed would definitely be 3 metres wide but going by the equipement in there it would probably be more like 5 metres or possibly longer.

You could definitely have a good setup in a 3 x 4 garden shed, you'd want to go for a taller option also like 2.4 metres or better.

First thing I'd go for is a power rack with pull/chin bars and dip attachment and a decent lat pull/low row station on it, weight storage horns on the rack would be a plus too, an obvious choice to go with it would be a good adjustable bench. You'd also want a selection of bars and cable attachments. A good amount of weight plates is another given. A set of adjustable DB's such as quick locks, power block etc would be good to finish of the basics and in fact you wouldn't really need anything else if that's all you could afford or fit in there.

With the space left you might be able to fit a couple of compact machines, DL platform etc, that would be an individual choice.

As for budget that's an individual thing also, you could buy some of the more budget equipment and have an awesome set up or you could go more up market and have an awesome setup also that although is more expensive it probably won't be much better for us average Joes than the cheaper gear.

Some good floor covering would be nice too.

Being a small space a half decent fan for those hot days would be mandatory, something to pump out some tunes would be a must also. A pair of UE booms go great, I've been going with this option lately since my old stereo died.

Mine is a 2-car garage, some space is used by built-in cupboards, so there is 6.5m x 5.5m available to put gear. 0.5m at the bottom is clearance for the door, so in fact about 30m2. All my gear cost about $5,000.

In 3x4m you could have basically a power rack and platform with plates etc jammed along the sides. Bear in mind a barbell is 2.2m and you want a good space either side to load the thing, 0.4m would be a bit tight, and you'd have to lift across the 4m length of the thing for quick lifts, since when dropped the bar may go left or right.

With that space I would get,

12m2 of rubber matting @ $25/m2 = $300
Power rack with chinup bar 2.2x2.4m = $600
Power bar and WL bar = $600. If you're a woman or older person, get a 15kg bar as your WL bar so you can start there with presses.
mid-range 150kg bumper plate set = $800
Fractionals = $100
Moveable bench = $200

So that is $2,600 in all. The bar could be loaded anywhere from 15 to 180kg, which will be enough for most people for the first 12 months, or for less driven people, enough for a lifetime.

Technically you can do it all with a WL bar and bumpers in any 3x3m space, no rack needed, so long as you have a space to store the gear out of the weather. But then you have to learn cleans on day one which makes it more challenging.

Obviously you can look for deals etc, but this would all do for midrange new gear.

Might add, if anyone is thinking of doing something like this and you are planning it from ground up another option to consider would be to do what I have done with my rodent breeding room.
Instead of using a garden shed I've used a second hand cold room and removed the compressor etc to use it as a room/ shed, you can pick one up off gumtree for next to nothing, mine is 3 x 3.5 x 2.4 m with 100 mm panels and cost $500, you can get them bigger and I've even seen people giving them away from time to time.
The advantage is its insulated and sound deadened, just drop a slab down DIY style for the floor and you've got a sweat little gym room ready to fit out with gear.

The biggest issue is overhead clearance. Most garages and small sheds are too low to do any overhead movements.