• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Strength does not always correlate to mass.

Where's the getting bigger part?????????????????
True, it doesn't. However, if you practice training in a variety of rep ranges across the entire body and keep working at getting better in all of those contexts, it will promote hypertrophy more than, say, a max strength program will (which, for some reason, the internet loves prescribing to beginners along with going way overboard on diet). That, plus sensible bulking nutrition, will tend to get your bigger. I'll elaborate some more in my reply to Repackaged.

I gotta say I think hte above is good advice...

But a beginners first question about this would be ...how? It's like telling a noob bodybuilder to 'get bigger'.
I guess it is to a certain degree. That would be where some actual programming advice comes in, which is beyond the scope of a few brief dot points.

For building strength across the whole body, that comes down to balancing a routine. Do to your back as you do to your front; do to your bottom as you do to your top; do to your left as you do to your right. Squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, pull ups, rows -- you've got yourself decent balance right there, although specific exercises may need to be subbed out for other exercises, more exercises may be useful and I'd generally recommend some isolation movements even to beginner bodybuilders.

As for the actual process of becoming stronger, having prioritised technique, do as many reps as you can (or close to it) with good technique. Next time you do the same exercise, see if you can do more reps or more weight for the same (or at least a similar) number of reps. Rep-range progression tends to work well. I've already recommended getting stronger in a variety of rep ranges, since that tends to work better than just trying to improve your 1RM. So for one exercise the rep range might be 6-8, for another it might be 8-12, for another it might be 12-20, for some isolation exercises it might be even higher. There are a lot of different ways you could program in those different rep ranges, so I won't get into that. I think it's fine to make a judgement call with individuals about what they're more likely to adhere to, so use wisdom. If you can't do the minimum in the rep range it's probably too heavy today; if you can do more than the upper end, it's probably too light. Those who are willing to find out what they can do and adjust accordingly will get bigger and stronger over time; those who aren't willing to find out what they can do and will only go through the motion without pushing themselves will never get much in the way of hypertrophy.
I think noobs shouldn't be too precious about this. Too many people think putting on a couple of kilos of fat is the end of the world.

That's being a bit nit-picky, I think the underlying messages are sound.
A couple kilos of fat isn't the end of the world, agreed. But there's some reckless nutritional advice out there, eg GOMAD. There's no point in trying to gain more fat than you have to, and if anyone thinks that they're gaining 1kg LBM/wk or whatever, they're mistaken. Anything more than 1...maybe 2kg per month is excessive. I suppose I should clarify and say: eat enough to gain a good dose of muscle, but not more.

Hang in there
It's honestly not a high priority for me. Opportunity's never far out of reach and sometimes I have some very hot opportunities throwing themselves at me; I have my reasons for not taking up the opportunity.